WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tales Of A Mercenary Mechanic

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
3rd axle and tools to go full mercenary wrench?
...no third axle.

Not a lot of trailers are as compact, and can easily transport 3000lbs or more down dirt roads. It's already partially enclosed. I have it, and not the horses anymore. I really can't afford a utility truck right now either.

So, yes, you're on the right track 🤣

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
...no third axle.

Not a lot of trailers are as compact, and can easily transport 3000lbs or more down dirt roads. It's already partially enclosed. I have it, and not the horses anymore. I really can't afford a utility truck right now either.

I wanna see how your going to attach the cherry picker 😁

4Waters

Reaction score
...no third axle.

I'm guessing Monkeyswrench Mobile Mechanic trailer
You beat me to it 🤣

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I wanna see how your going to attach the cherry picker 😁
I own three I think. Two are pickup bed only...and one of them is a two person job. Number three though, is one of those cheap Harbor Freight jobs that folds. If needed, it could be stowed inside. (Not that pulling a motor is anything I'd want to do off-site, but sometimes stuff is just heavy...most recently a Bobcat auger :oops:)

As you know, it's impossible to carry everything you need for every job. I'd like to get closer though. A few weeks ago I did a set of helper bags in a coil sprung Dodge. Jacks, ramps, stands, cutoff tools, drills...in addition to a fairly loaded jump box...in the back of the Excursion. A couple weeks before that, a full service on a late model 4x4. I had to drive Fred, the blue pickup, because of drain pans and waste containers.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I own three I think. Two are pickup bed only...and one of them is a two person job. Number three though, is one of those cheap Harbor Freight jobs that folds. If needed, it could be stowed inside. (Not that pulling a motor is anything I'd want to do off-site, but sometimes stuff is just heavy...most recently a Bobcat auger :oops:)

As you know, it's impossible to carry everything you need for every job. I'd like to get closer though. A few weeks ago I did a set of helper bags in a coil sprung Dodge. Jacks, ramps, stands, cutoff tools, drills...in addition to a fairly loaded jump box...in the back of the Excursion. A couple weeks before that, a full service on a late model 4x4. I had to drive Fred, the blue pickup, because of drain pans and waste containers.

I was thinking for more like lifting off 5.9 heads and stuff like that

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Well, sicker than hell right now...turns out my son did bring home the plague. Still moving, just a bit slower. Everything is traditionally slow this week, so not a bad week to be racked up.

Big project was digging this out of the toolbox on my gooseneck. Hasn't been run in a few years, so needs a cleaning and a tuneup. Not your typical wheelbarrow compressor, 20cfm @125psi.
20231228_170947.jpg

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Been a really interesting week. Monday, while fixing a frozen water line, get a text from the notorious shop owner. Wondering if I was in town. I responded I never left. 30min later, his dad texts me...one of the foam trucks they used to have me work on is down, no voltage from genny, can I look at it. Sure, but it will have to be in an hour or so...kind of in the middle of something.

I head over there after I finish up. Owner putz acts kind of annoyed, and says they got tired of waiting and left. No one told me the crew was waiting. Trucks at the yard. I hop in the POS and head down there. Find out it wasn't only the crew, managers too :oops: I get down to tracing wires and figure out it is a bad connection to the regulator, patch it up and run it. Done deal. One of the managers talks to me, and I explained how the texts went, and I assumed the truck was dropped off. I apologized, I know the guys don't get paid if truck is down. He tells me that they told them no one there would work on "110", and I was the only one, and had been out of town. (BTW, it's a 3ph monster) Boss there didn't like that who they depend on said "we can't do it"...

Now, end of the week got to go out and work in God's country. Apparently, he likes it cold🤔 Desk jobs are ok, but my view changes, and it was pretty nice yesterday. From the time I left to the time I got home was about 15 hours. Didn't get as much done as I wanted, but it was a good day.
20240112_120010.jpg

During the week I also started mocking up my stealth tool crib. Dug out a small roll cab, and a stainless work bench I'll have to cut down. Seeing what can or will go where.
20240110_124843.jpg

Things sure aren't boring, that's for sure!

17 10 Flat

Reaction score
Been a really interesting week. Monday, while fixing a frozen water line, get a text from the notorious shop owner. Wondering if I was in town. I responded I never left. 30min later, his dad texts me...one of the foam trucks they used to have me work on is down, no voltage from genny, can I look at it. Sure, but it will have to be in an hour or so...kind of in the middle of something.

I head over there after I finish up. Owner putz acts kind of annoyed, and says they got tired of waiting and left. No one told me the crew was waiting. Trucks at the yard. I hop in the POS and head down there. Find out it wasn't only the crew, managers too :oops: I get down to tracing wires and figure out it is a bad connection to the regulator, patch it up and run it. Done deal. One of the managers talks to me, and I explained how the texts went, and I assumed the truck was dropped off. I apologized, I know the guys don't get paid if truck is down. He tells me that they told them no one there would work on "110", and I was the only one, and had been out of town. (BTW, it's a 3ph monster) Boss there didn't like that who they depend on said "we can't do it"...

Now, end of the week got to go out and work in God's country. Apparently, he likes it cold🤔 Desk jobs are ok, but my view changes, and it was pretty nice yesterday. From the time I left to the time I got home was about 15 hours. Didn't get as much done as I wanted, but it was a good day.
View attachment 1322315
During the week I also started mocking up my stealth tool crib. Dug out a small roll cab, and a stainless work bench I'll have to cut down. Seeing what can or will go where. View attachment 1322316
Things sure aren't boring, that's for sure!

Kinda sounds like new owner is jealous of your abilities and the relationship you have with his dad.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like new owner is jealous of your abilities and the relationship you have with his dad.
Yup, that's what it sounds like to me. He can have the same relationship with MW but he has to stop being a dick
I don't think it's just that. I asked the father once if Jr had ever worked anywhere else.

1 or 2 days in high-school he dug a ditch. So, in effect, no he hasn't. You really can't be a good supervisor unless you've been on the other end of it. Learning how to run a business isn't easy on it's own, but dealing with people is a different skill entirely. He's kind of a dick to everyone, but one has to stay as terms of some "legal" obligations (he has 100ish days left, the leaving town). Another is a young kid, that really wants to bea mechanic, but may bail and drive dump trucks for his grandfather's company. The third guy has worked off and on for the father for 25 years. He's actually a very good mechanic, but has hand and shoulder issues. He's there because they took pity on him when his wife passed away. He needs rent money, but rumor is his pain meds are causing some issues.

That ship is sinking on it's own. Even if I don't plug another hole in it, I don't see making it very long. So, for now, I'll just keep my ball rolling.

17 10 Flat

Reaction score
I don't think it's just that. I asked the father once if Jr had ever worked anywhere else.

1 or 2 days in high-school he dug a ditch. So, in effect, no he hasn't. You really can't be a good supervisor unless you've been on the other end of it. Learning how to run a business isn't easy on it's own, but dealing with people is a different skill entirely. He's kind of a dick to everyone, but one has to stay as terms of some "legal" obligations (he has 100ish days left, the leaving town). Another is a young kid, that really wants to bea mechanic, but may bail and drive dump trucks for his grandfather's company. The third guy has worked off and on for the father for 25 years. He's actually a very good mechanic, but has hand and shoulder issues. He's there because they took pity on him when his wife passed away. He needs rent money, but rumor is his pain meds are causing some issues.

That ship is sinking on it's own. Even if I don't plug another hole in it, I don't see making it very long. So, for now, I'll just keep my ball rolling.
No doubt your assement is accurate as you are closer to the action. People don't realize supervising properly can be more difficult than doing.

lenmann

Reaction score

Sounds to me like an opportunity for the Mobile Monkeyswrench venture. Lots of customers will be looking for new service providers as the bitter taste JR leaves in their mouths lingers.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Sounds to me like an opportunity for the Mobile Monkeyswrench venture. Lots of customers will be looking for new service providers as the bitter taste JR leaves in their mouths lingers.
Very true, but also kind of sad. The old man is a really a pretty nice guy. A bit of a drunk and recluse, but treats his customers good. He's a bit greedy in some ways, but giving in others. His son is just straight up greedy. He wants to "run the business", and not get dirty anymore. I'm 15 years his senior, and don't mind laying in dirt to fix something. I figure I work to keep a roof over our heads, and we have hot water and a shower too 🤣

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
20240117_100716.jpg

Powerstroke of Doom, chapter 2. Same 6.7 I did the injectors and fuel system on. After 5,000 miles, started missing and blew a return line. I get the call to diag it. Before I hung up the phone, thinking bad injector. I check everything, pretty sure. All parts were owner supplied.( Injectors were reman, all others were in Ford packages.) Two days later, they ask me to pull the injector, company wants to test before exchange...so they want me to pull it. Zip-ties cut at an angle, freezing temps and dry skin...it was a bloody couple hours. It was shipped, now they wait.
20240115_140745.jpg
another PTO driven insulation deal. Something bound it up, and popped a drive chain. So I get a call in the afternoon...and head over after doctor's visit.
20240115_140750.jpg

Yeah, I disabled the PTO before climbing in....There's an auger beneath my feet, that feeds another blender thing on the lower RH side. It inhaled a bunch of bale twine stuff. Cleared it and put a new drive chain on. Ready to work at 4:30pm

Boss says he'll call them in the morning:rolleyes:
These guys don't get paid if the truck is down. No truck in the morning, they get sent home. They start at 6, shop doesn't even open until 9!
That ain't right! Bite my tongue, make a little money...for now.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Quick weird one for others that may be limited on space and doing mechanical type crap. For normal folk, think toyhauler or motorhome. Recently I went out a ways to do some wheel bearing type stuff. Amazingly, you can fit a lot of crap in a Prius. I needed some place for grease can, bearing packer and used rags. All these things can make a mess, or stink things up. So, compact versions of the 5gl buckets and lids I normally use.

They have lids that fit pretty decent and I have a lot of them. They keep things from getting thrashed. Making another for clean rags too.
20240119_121604.jpg

ltbaney1

Reaction score
View attachment 1325026
Powerstroke of Doom, chapter 2. Same 6.7 I did the injectors and fuel system on. After 5,000 miles, started missing and blew a return line. I get the call to diag it. Before I hung up the phone, thinking bad injector. I check everything, pretty sure. All parts were owner supplied.( Injectors were reman, all others were in Ford packages.) Two days later, they ask me to pull the injector, company wants to test before exchange...so they want me to pull it. Zip-ties cut at an angle, freezing temps and dry skin...it was a bloody couple hours. It was shipped, now they wait. View attachment 1325029 another PTO driven insulation deal. Something bound it up, and popped a drive chain. So I get a call in the afternoon...and head over after doctor's visit. View attachment 1325030
Yeah, I disabled the PTO before climbing in....There's an auger beneath my feet, that feeds another blender thing on the lower RH side. It inhaled a bunch of bale twine stuff. Cleared it and put a new drive chain on. Ready to work at 4:30pm

Boss says he'll call them in the morning:rolleyes:
These guys don't get paid if the truck is down. No truck in the morning, they get sent home. They start at 6, shop doesn't even open until 9!
That ain't right! Bite my tongue, make a little money...for now.
I hate zip ties cut improperly, one of the best theft deterrents though. a rule i picked up from a buddy who works for one of the larger trophy truck team, is dont cut a zip tie if you dont have flush cuts in your hand. he told me they will go through a couple hundred zip ties prepping a truck securing everyhting. he leaves them all full length and goes front to back with flush cuts when he is done.

The Chicken

off-grid solar installer
Reaction score
I hate zip ties cut improperly, one of the best theft deterrents though. a rule i picked up from a buddy who works for one of the larger trophy truck team, is dont cut a zip tie if you dont have flush cuts in your hand. he told me they will go through a couple hundred zip ties prepping a truck securing everyhting. he leaves them all full length and goes front to back with flush cuts when he is done.
I'm a zip tie Nazi.
I go ballistic when i find zip ties cut at an angle-probably because I've done what Kevin did one too many times and pulled my hand out of a race car engine bay looking like I'd had a fight with a gang of razor blades.
I once told the owner of a class one car, rather rudely, that I'd quit pitting for him if his crew didn't learn to use flush cutters. The look on his face was priceless.

I recently graduated to one of these:

Total game changer. I had wanted one for years, but could never swallow the 200+ dollar price tag.
Hands that are getting old and damaged finally convinced me to ante up and get one. One of the best tools I've ever invested in.

To be fair, on some jobs, we go through a LOT of zip ties.
In the picture I attached, that's only a small portion of the 50+ feet of gutter and some 5,000+ feet of wire and cable for the install. This is about mid way through the process. When we were done, we used just over 1000 of the T&B TyRap stainless tang zip ties. At those quantities, the flush cutters just don't compare.

Attachments

• IMG_8917.JPEG
    IMG_8917.JPEG
    940.4 KB · Views: 81

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
@The Chicken , I didn't even know they made high end ones. The cheesy ones they so 20 years ago sucked, so I never looked again. On small ones or in confined spaces I use end cutters and flush cutters for the rest. People can still manage to use end cutters and make shark teeth. That's where a tool like listed would be handy, can keep up the pace and still have them cut uniformly.

rrrr

Reaction score
There's nothing more aggravating than shoving your hand into the bowels of a race car and coming up bloody.

I retired my three pairs of 30 year old flush cutters a few months ago. They were worn out. The replacements are the same Klein models, two 4" and one 5".

Old:

20231027_193719.jpg

New:

20231027_134445.jpg

The Chicken

off-grid solar installer
Reaction score
@The Chicken , I didn't even know they made high end ones. The cheesy ones they so 20 years ago sucked, so I never looked again. On small ones or in confined spaces I use end cutters and flush cutters for the rest. People can still manage to use end cutters and make shark teeth. That's where a tool like listed would be handy, can keep up the pace and still have them cut uniformly.
Yeah, I'd heard of a lot of failures from cheapo ones, which is why I ponied up and got the T&B unit.
T&B is like 3M-their shit is terribly expensive, but always of the highest quality.
Cool feature on the tool is the head rotates 360 degrees so it gets into tight spaces easy and can make it easier on your hands and wrists.
Also, the tension it puts on the ties is easily adjusted with a twist dial.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I'm a zip tie Nazi.
I go ballistic when i find zip ties cut at an angle-probably because I've done what Kevin did one too many times and pulled my hand out of a race car engine bay looking like I'd had a fight with a gang of razor blades.
I once told the owner of a class one car, rather rudely, that I'd quit pitting for him if his crew didn't learn to use flush cutters. The look on his face was priceless.

Total game changer. I had wanted one for years, but could never swallow the 200+ dollar price tag.
Hands that are getting old and damaged finally convinced me to ante up and get one. One of the best tools I've ever invested in.

In the picture I attached, that's only a small portion of the 50+ feet of gutter and some 5,000+ feet of wire and cable for the install. This is about mid way through the process. When we were done, we used just over 1000 of the T&B TyRap stainless tang zip ties. At those quantities, the flush cutters just don't compare.
I have absolutely no need for those high end Ty cutters but damn I want one😛

Warlock1

Reaction score
We went through zip ties by the hundreds on every boat we built. We tried flush cuts from Snap on, home depot and they all eventually would break the handle off. Surprisingly the ones from Harbor Freight always lasted the longest by far and even then they never broke. They just became a little dull.

Attachments

• 20190430_142342.jpg
    20190430_142342.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 75
  • 20180827_082650.jpg
    20180827_082650.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 74
  • 20190104_124945.jpg
    20190104_124945.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 73

timstoy

Reaction score
I'm a zip tie Nazi.

T&B TyRaps stainless tang are the best!

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
6.7 Ford injector job kit:
20240126_104453.jpg

Bore scope and gun cleaning kit from Walmart. The 6.7 with the bad injector? The company that supplied the injector laughed at the thought of warranty. The blue hue from overtemp showed the tune was stupid, roll coal, and otherwise un-Greta like. So, they bought a reman from the company, and had it shipped.

The copper gasket had fused with carbon in the bore. Now, that's 6" down in the head. Big problem is there is a gap between the head and valve cover. If the copper falls in there, valve cover has to come off. It would suck. Heard about it, never done it. So, use a pick to feel/scrape around the copper. Then use a wide blade screw driver to twist it a little, in case it's stuck to the head. Then..
20240126_100909.jpg

Stuff the .30cal brush in the bore. The bristles will also help loosen it, and pop between the copper and head. Pulls it right out.

Then install the 12g brush, and hose it down with Break Free. Use it to clean any carbon from bore
20240126_101546.jpg

Follow this up with the 12g rag and Hoppes. Multiple times until clean
20240126_102916.jpg
Use the bore scope to see how it looks, and also use it to check condition and location of copper gasket at the start. Never reuse those things.

That was my adventure for the day. Truck runs again. Drove it for the first time. Redneck, coal rolling, pig. It does haul ass, but has a ton of blow-by and a tick. Not my problem. Owner of the shop was surprised...I've learned how to code injectors.
Idle hands....

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
A couple spare hours and some farm welding. Try to keep some weather out.
20240131_145845.jpg

Rear upper fillers are made froma 65 Ranchero bed panel that's been laying around for 10+ years, and the louver panels I have no clue where they came from.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
A little more last night, some this morning and this afternoon. Scrap steel left from the pre-school addition, took the casters off the box and shortened the bench. A little farm welding and scraps. Going to bolt the box to the bulkhead. Need to figure out what to do with pipe wrenches, prybars and the like. Want to mount them to opposite wall, but don't know how yet.
20240201_154221.jpg
20240201_154228.jpg
20240201_154254.jpg

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Looking good! Everything you need, portable....! ;):)
I figure I built more than a couple cars with that box, so actual space for iron should be fine. The Diag stuff may get interesting, but most of that you have an idea before you roll...I think. Going to be a learning curve 🤣

Last edited:

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
A little more last night, some this morning and this afternoon. Scrap steel left from the pre-school addition, took the casters off the box and shortened the bench. A little farm welding and scraps. Going to bolt the box to the bulkhead. Need to figure out what to do with pipe wrenches, prybars and the like. Want to mount them to opposite wall, but don't know how yet. View attachment 1329713 View attachment 1329714 View attachment 1329715
Harbor Freight has some pretty potent magnet strips for mounting your pipe wrenches.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Harbor Freight has some pretty potent magnet strips for mounting your pipe wrenches.
I thought about possibly mounting something like that, and then leave the heavy end on the floor. The washboard roads can shake a filling loose.

Also trying to do this with absolute minimal spending. There are some "needed" items I have yet to purchase. Tire tools are one, but they aren't too bad. Thinking the first big one will be an entry level "heavy" scanner. A few on the market will do ODBII, big truck and tractors. Not as good as the factory software, but enough to do general troubleshooting.

The Chicken

off-grid solar installer
Reaction score
I thought about possibly mounting something like that, and then leave the heavy end on the floor. The washboard roads can shake a filling loose.

Also trying to do this with absolute minimal spending. There are some "needed" items I have yet to purchase. Tire tools are one, but they aren't too bad. Thinking the first big one will be an entry level "heavy" scanner. A few on the market will do ODBII, big truck and tractors. Not as good as the factory software, but enough to do general troubleshooting.
There's a guy on the service truck forums-Lalo JM IIRC-that everyone swears by that does laptops/software.

ltbaney1

Reaction score

you could also try PVC or metal tubing cut to short lengths and just drop them in the tubes, kind of like the gardners do with the rakes? might not take up too much depending on how many you have and could be sourced fairly inexpensive.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
There's a guy on the service truck forums-Lalo JM IIRC-that everyone swears by that does laptops/software.
I've got a couple of sources for Cummins Insite and IDSS (Isuzu). At the time I first found it, I had "the other guy" buy it, as I had no intentions of ever going out and doing this stuff. The main thing the factory software has that the generics don't, is the ability to test individual components. The equivalent to an injector "buzz test" but on other things. In real cold weather, it can also be used to ramp the DEF injection pressure to clear blockages. Not a big deal if I don't have it at first, but the ability to do certain stuff just opens more doors I think.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
10 years ago this weekend, sitting with a guy who hired me on to help finish out a 33 5 window, as the owner gets called up...2nd in class at GNRS. Pretty cool.

2 years ago, finished up a wake up call on another coupe. That one hadn't seen daylight since the 60's. Finished it up the weekend before GNRS. Actually, ended up building a trans for it on that Monday, and delivering it Wednesday...it was in the Suede Palace. Pretty cool.

My, how things change 🤣
This afternoon I was modifying scrap purlin into tool holders, and welding them in place...in a horse trailer.
20240204_152839.jpg
20240204_152903.jpg
20240204_152819.jpg

Well, at least I'm not a "one trick pony"...;)

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I think next on the list is something to locate/secure the compressor, two floor jacks and a bottle jack. The "tack" area will be after that. It will house bulk liquids. 5gl buckets of atf, oils and coolants...probably also jackstands and other miscellaneous crap.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I think next on the list is something to locate/secure the compressor, two floor jacks and a bottle jack. The "tack" area will be after that. It will house bulk liquids. 5gl buckets of atf, oils and coolants...probably also jackstands and other miscellaneous crap.
… i’m pretty sure you will agree… That this is a way better deal you got going forward than trying to do similar in the city👍

arch stanton

Reaction score
A soldering iron works well to get rid of sharp edges on zip ties
I have a flush cutter but is not as good as I would like and using diagonal cutters still leaves sharp edges so I have been using a butane soldering iron or a plumbers tourch to heat a flat blade screw driver or similar to melt the zip tie flush on areas that that I can not cut square or flush this helps keep my blood where it belongs

Nordie

Reaction score
Where the heck is the Monkey when you need him???

Saturday we had a family lunch and I haven't driven the wife's ride in quite some time. I knew the car was driving different. I found the problem and only hear it wasn't me.

This wasn't a casual rub on the curb
20240205_072018.jpg
20240205_072022.jpg
20240205_072015.jpg
20240205_072011.jpg

Monkey come fix my step daughters inability to drive!

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Where the heck is the Monkey when you need him???

Saturday we had a family lunch and I haven't driven the wife's ride in quite some time. I knew the car was driving different. I found the problem and only hear it wasn't me.

This wasn't a casual rub on the curb
View attachment 1331512 View attachment 1331513 View attachment 1331514 View attachment 1331515

Monkey come fix my step daughters inability to drive!
When my daughter started driving, steel rims were a must. We have gnarly potholes...she has since managed to break a coil spring :oops:
I'd never seen it before🤣

Nordie

Reaction score
When my daughter started driving, steel rims were a must. We have gnarly potholes...she has since managed to break a coil spring :oops:
I'd never seen it before🤣

Only part that makes me mad is atleast own it. Got the bearings installed, now waiting on the right brake pads. Usually Napa is better than that.

Had to use the old hickey bar to bust some bolts loose

20240205_134414.jpg

Strange that the 2 wheel bearings look different, any input on why?

20240205_130619.jpg

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Only part that makes me mad is atleast own it. Got the bearings installed, now waiting on the right brake pads. Usually Napa is better than that.

Had to use the old hickey bar to bust some bolts loose

View attachment 1331532

Strange that the 2 wheel bearings look different, any input on why?

View attachment 1331533
One may have been replaced already or one gets the sprinklers. Rusty one looks like it wasn't tight, or mating surface wasn't clean between the rotor and the hub.
I can't remember what car it was, but could only get the bearing itself. Pressing the hub out was...exciting 🤣

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
20240205_162004.jpg

20240205_162039.jpg

Threw together a tackle box with wire repair stuff on one side, and an assortment of fuses and relays on the other. The little blue containers on the bench my wife picked up at dollar store. I think they're what pot shops use? Dunno, I'm putting misc. hardware, like self tappers and such, marked and on hand because you never know.