WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Water In Pontoons. How To Get It Out??

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
My Buddy has a Suntracker pontoon. He can hear some water sloshing in the pontoons. He doesn't think the pontoons have a drain plug (the boat is in storage, so I couldn't look at it).

My question is: Do all Pontoons typically have a drain plug? If not, water is the leaking in through a weld. Is this common?

How hard is it to add a drain plug to the pontoon.

He is going to be putting the boat in a slip, and is concerned about water leaking into the pontoons.

What are your thoughts?

Sent From Tapatalk

JayBreww

Reaction score
My Buddy has a Suntracker pontoon. He can hear some water sloshing in the pontoons. He doesn't think the pontoons have a drain plug (the boat is in storage, so I couldn't look at it).

My question is: Do all Pontoons typically have a drain plug? If not, water is the leaking in through a weld. Is this common?

How hard is it to add a drain plug to the pontoon.

He is going to be putting the boat in a slip, and is concerned about water leaking into the pontoons.

What are your thoughts?

Sent From Tapatalk

Weld a couple bungs on the rear and be done if it don’t have any. I’m sure the prop shop could do it in a hour or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riverroyal

Reaction score
He needs to take a better look. Very good chance there is a drain at the rear of the log. As these get welded at the factory the actual weld creates heat. Which creates pressure. If you don't let the pressure escape the last few inches of weld as the log seals is damn near impossible. Your weld puddle will blow out

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Most don’t come new with a bung or drain, we had a leak in one of our benningtons, lifetime warranty on the toons so the drill and tap a bung and fill them with air and the do the old windex thing to find the leak

Beautiful Noise

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Suntracker no they don’t come with drain plugs, I had to have plugs added a couple of yrs after I bought it. Was told they had to run a long drill bit to put holes into the front chambers for the water to drain. Seems like every couple of yrs it starts taking on water then I need to get the welds checked and fixed. I use pipe compound on the threads when screwing the plugs in to seal. If I leave it in I usually pull it out after a couple of day to gas it up and check just for a peace of mind👍

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My brother in law's beater/rental toon developed cracks where the deck mounts to the log. Factory bracket welds cracked. Most likely in his case from smacking docks with idiots driving. Son of a bitch, hard to get in between the center pod and the log to weld it back up!

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
bung hole.... [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Last boat show I looked at some toons , could not believe the sloppy / poor welds . Check the welds .

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
He needs to take a better look. Very good chance there is a drain at the rear of the log. As these get welded at the factory the actual weld creates heat. Which creates pressure. If you don't let the pressure escape the last few inches of weld as the log seals is damn near impossible. Your weld puddle will blow out
The plugs are there....its just not where youd expect them to be. My 04 Suntracker had the plugs hidden between the skirts on the top of the log

havasujeeper

Reaction score
With my 2001 Suntracker 22 Regency, I utilized the small red plugs on top of the tubes to insert a siphon hose. I let it drain until the next day and got 20-30 gallons of water out of it. My next step was to weld a bung hole and the back of the tubes, but since I rarely used it, I sold it "as-is" to my neighbor.