• Welcome to River Dave's Place

Who is the best water skier you ever saw?

Discussion in 'Ski Racing - Legends on the Rope' started by SKIA36, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Wheeler

Wheeler Well-Known Member

I remember reading your article, the picture of the riser line is embedded in my memory. I might even have that issue packed away.

2. SKIA36

SKIA36 Well-Known Member

This past summer at Mead, teaching youngsters to do helicopters.

Attached Files:

3. skifaster

skifaster Hard Member

I've heard so many stories of great all around skiers. But I'll comment on the ones I've seen personally.

Billy Johnson from Lake Arrowhead - he was a good ski racer, but watching him fun ski was amazing. As smooth as I've seen. Watching him pull off helicopters without hesitation and keeping his rhythm while cutting. Awesome.

Morgan O'Dell from Lake Arrowhead - probably one of the most naturally gifted all around water skiers I've ever seen.

Ron Gayman - Flips, tic tocks, he could do everything. Became a very good ski racer too.

Todd Haig - best all around skier (fun skiing and racing), that I have seen. Watching him fun ski, he is effortless. When it comes to racing, it doesn't matter if it is rough or smooth. He has no weakness.

Mac McKenzie - Never got to watch him water ski, but I worked for him at his ski school in Arrowhead for several years. Seen pictures and heard stories. That man has so much respect from all of us growing up in Arrowhead. His wife Lucy was a great skier as well.

4. Kdub157

Kdub157 Well-Known Member

Mac and Lucy Mckenzie

Attached Files:

• mac1.jpg
      mac1.jpg
      File size:
      4.3 KB
      Views:
    • mac.jpg
      mac.jpg
      File size:
      2.5 KB
      Views:
  5. SkiTard

SkiTard Well-Known Member

Dana Morris From RWSRA 100% stallion

6. SKIA36

SKIA36 Well-Known Member

I am willing to bet those pictures are from the 50's. How many people do you know that Footed in the 50's? Lucy has a bunch of ski pics on the wall at Woodys boat house.

Awesome pics Kaitlin!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  7. 2manymustangs

2manymustangs Member

Are you sure thats not Tony Danza??? :D

8. Vesteys

Vesteys New Member

The best all round skier I have seen is Roy Mawer ( Wayne's Dad ) . He used to be virtually unbeatable in the ocean races and could ride palings and free board skis ( ski without bindings ) like he was on a race ski .

9. skiracer411

skiracer411 New Member

Many many many! Todd is by far one of the best! Corey Cook too.

But... Johnny Belvail, Denise Magrin, Pat Marino, Randy Hill

10. luvskiracin

luvskiracin New Member

I watched Mike Avila for years and years dominate ski racing like nobody has.He was a force in the Men's Open as a teenager in the 70's.The only skier to beat Robbie Woods in 1977.He beat the unbeatable Mike Dixon in 1976 and went on to win almost every race he started in the 80's.First speed skier only inducted into the Water Ski Hall of Fame in 2002.He could run into 35 off every pass on a course and I have seen him run 3 at 38 off at Cal Cup. He was doing flips on a play ski back in the 70's and he and Whipple would ski two up and take turn's doing helicopters like they were nothing.He could barefoot like a wild man and still does today even with his bad arm. I watched him last summer run a course wrapped up at 22 off and did a mule kick as he passed the exit gates !! He is by far the best I have seen. I also think Byron Whipple was awesome as well !!

11. HottRoddeR

HottRoddeR Well-Known Member

Darren 'little legs' Kirkland

12. schiadart73

schiadart73 Active Member

Chuck Stearns was the first ski racer inducted in the first HOF class! Also, if a panel of ski racers were nominating than a few more people would have been inducted before Mike and Marsha.

My list:

Butch Petersen
    Mike Murphy
    Danny Churchill
    Craig Wendt
    Lenard Schiada
    Nick Barron
    Kurt Schoen ( yes Kurt )
    Janie Welch
    Sally Younger
    Joanie Martini - still believe the best womens skier/athlete there ever was

Lenard & Nick for their impact on ski racing. I believe I saw the manufactures for Mastercraft and Natique in the HOF.

13. schiadart73

Adding:

Rudy Ramos ( Rayson Craft )

Drivers:

Gary Steele
    Norm Wilson
    Ron Wilson

Observers:

Bill Kent
    Roy Weiser

14. Vesteys

Vesteys New Member

Old school ski racers -

Danny Bertels
    Wayne Ritchie
    Wayne Atta
    Hardaker Brothers
    Ray Wheeler
    Ray Dipple
    Rory Brown

15. LV R SCHIADA'S

LV R SCHIADA'S Well-Known Member

I am surprised that nobody mention the DuValls, Sammy & Camile, they were my heros back in the day, back when you had to excel in all three disciplines, salomn, trick & jump, also the Lapoint Brothers were awesome to watch, still have thier VHS videos.

16. luvskiracin

luvskiracin New Member

Schiadart73,
    Chuck Stearns was inducted into the water ski hall of fame as a 3 event skier and noted as a speed skier. Mike was the first speed skier only Inducted into the hall of fame.I think all of those skiers and drivers are great as well but there is not one of them that has as many wins as Mike. In fact there is not a ski racer in the history of the sport to date that has as many wins as Mike.He won almost every race he entered in the 80's and that was about every race there was to enter.He won a ton of races in the 70's as well.I read where Chuck who is Mikes hero even said that there was no skier with the sheer power and ability as Mike.Also there was a panel of speed ski racers that put Mike into the hall. Every person has there skier or racer that they think is the best and for so many years I have seen him win and even beat me many times, that I just thiunk he is the best I have ever seen and the kind of guy that is racing.He is a racers racer the kind of guy that never stops trying to win.

17. Richo

Richo Member

Having read names such as Tony Klarich and Mike Murphy mentioned I am surprised they know one has nominated Brett Wing as possibly the best all round skier of all time.

Another skier from Ohio originally who was very talented was Dave "The Dog" Reinhart. Did alot of stunt skiing in movies including Police Academy 5 and James Bond Film Live and Let Die.

18. Skyskier

Skyskier skiing Parker since 1960

Hope ya don't mind, I "fixed" that drivers list for ya :D Just wanted to give my Pop's his due :thumbsup
    carry on :)

Attached Files:

19. Wheeler

When did Chandler come out of retirement? Will he be racing Catalina next year? :thumbsup

Attached Files:

20. River Lynchmob

River Lynchmob What can I do to u for u?

For the day and I wouldnt think so...but who knows Dave's a wildcard :D

21. Take The Long Way Home

Take The Long Way Home Dog Days of Summer!

Mike Suyderhoud was the best that I saw, back in the 80's I went to his ski school on Lake Shasta in Redding, Calif and I was not very good but I had a great time.

22. SkiTard

SkiTard Well-Known Member

Dana M. from the RWSRA:boobeyes::monkey:

23. TerribleSpectra

TerribleSpectra Well-Known Member

I'd say Morgan O'Dell was an unbelievable natural talent...

24. Halvecto

Halvecto Well-Known Member

Unbelievable skier, sad ending.

Billy Johnson is one of best all around skiers I have ever seen. He makes it look so easy.

25. Boat737

Boat737 Well used Member

From my younger years...
    All around -- Chuck Sterns
    Slalom -- Kris LaPoint
    Speed Ski -- Mason Thompson (gone before his time)
    Play Ski -- Jimmy Cadam and Mike Murphy

If my memory is correct, this is a shot of Mason at Marine Stadium, I think late 70's. He was in his teens. On the outside behind Suddenly #157. I couldn't believe they could make a 300 foot turn with a 200 foot rope. It looked like the skier was still northbound after the boat had turned southbound.

Attached Files:

26. Boat737

Boat737 Well used Member

I remember Suyderhoud. I used to ski with Ken White in the mid 70's in Hawaii ('64 world trick champion) and when Mike was in town, Ken always called him "Sloppy-houd".

27. Boat737

Boat737 Well used Member

Great old video's. Really brought back some memories. Thanks.

28. River Lynchmob

River Lynchmob What can I do to u for u?

If they are sking wrapped up it would have to be the early 80s at the earliest.

29. skifaster

skifaster Hard Member

This looks like Mason on the outside. Mason was 16 in 1984 when he won Catalina Overall skiing as a Junior Boy. I am sure this picture is from sometime in the 80's. Mason was an awesome skier and a great guy.

30. Boat737

Boat737 Well used Member

You are probably correct about the year. I didn't have it recorded, so I really don't know. It seems to me that I remember he was 14 at that event, but the picture didn't look like a 14 year old. I also couldn't believe how fast he was at such a young age.

As for the aussie wrap, I did a little searching, and Craig Wendt started using it in 1974 (according to a Spray's Water Ski article in '82). Everything I find from 80 and 81 shows most if not all skiers wrapped up. So it looks like somewhere between 1975 and 1980 that style really took off.

31. twocents

twocents Well-Known Member Staff Member

If memory serves me correct, Paul McManis, one of Australia's top Men's Open skiers in the early 1970s, skied the Catalina race in 1972 or 1973 using the wrapped style. A lot of the American skiers tried it after that and liked it. A number of skiers in the Lake Arrowhead Water Ski Club in the mid to late 1960s used a variation of the "wrap" when they were out practicing and play skiing just to reduce fatigue, but they didn't race like that until some years later.

32. SKIA36

SKIA36 Well-Known Member

Danny Aldridge(JAA CBA) skied as a competetor and good friend of Mason. He would know the year and age ! I think Danny was right behind him when he won the CSR.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  33. racerden

racerden Boat #197

All-around: Dave Chandler
    ________
    Fucktbe

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  34. Wheeler

If you keep this up, Chandlers going to need some new hats! ;)

35. Meadsnake

Meadsnake DC855

You guys are biased as my driver and observer, but I could always use more hats.

Attached Files:

• 033.jpg
      033.jpg
      File size:
      61 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      60.8 KB
      Views:
  36. JAA_CBA

JAA_CBA Well-Known Member

I don't know the year and age because I would say that is not Mason. I think I saw him ski more than anyone other than his observer. We were born in '68, so if it was in the late 70's, we were still under 12 and that is not a 12 year old. Also, not a jacket or wet suit he ever wore. I would say that looks like Matt Johnson, big arms.

I wouldn't say I was right behind him when he won in '84, I got 2nd in the Jr. boy category but was a way back, not a good year for me. I won the Jr boy category in '83 with him right behind me. In '85, my last year skiing, he skied in the Mens Open class and I was Intermediate Men, I finished right behind him. We had many years and many races of us finishing next to each other, the '84 Catalina wasn't one of them.

As far as the Aussie style skiing, I would say the real shift came in 1980. There might have been a few guys doing it before that, but that was the year most of the top skiers finally switched.

Dan

37. SKIA36

SKIA36 Well-Known Member

Hey Dave, r u still skiing on the old Thorens that wanders all over the wake?:D

38. Boat737

Boat737 Well used Member

Memory is a funny thing. I know I took the pic, and I know Mason was skiing that event. After all these years, I thought it was him, but I never new him so you could be right. It wasn't a sanctioned ski race, just an exhibition at the ski drags that Endo's used to put on.

39. schiadart73

Looks like Matt Johnson and Jay Louis and I personally was skiing wrapped up in 1976, last year of 13-15 boys when there was 30+ skiers in that class alone.

40. Boat737

Boat737 Well used Member

If anyone is in touch with Billy Dunsmore, he may know, 'cause I'm still pretty sure this is his boat in the same event, same race.

Attached Files:

41. Meadsnake

Meadsnake DC855

Steve I had to put that ski on the wall of fame. I :rotflmao:got
    Tommy Gelisse
    old Maha 360 I picked up from Chuck and put new HO bindings on it.

42. AFUEL7067

AFUEL7067 Well-Known Member

Schiadart is correct looks like Matt on the outside and Jay on the inside also Mcmanus was the first I saw anybody race wrapped up but it wasnt until a few years latter Robbie Woods kicked everybodys ass behind Meyer that the masses started doing it. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  43. Boat737

Boat737 Well used Member

All these years I thought it was Mason, but 30 years is a long time to try and keep the brain cells shaking hands with one another. I hope someone comes up with the absolute certain answer.

44. Wheeler

It's Matt Johnson, they were running the long short course that weekend. Since we know the driver and the skier, who was observing?

45. Boat737

Boat737 Well used Member

You sure? I thought this was just an exhibition race between the ski drags. Couldn't have been more than just a few, or maybe just those two, circle racers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  46. Wheeler

I could be wrong about the races but that is Matt Johnson, his mother (Doris) told me so. :D

Now about Matt's observer, who could that be? :hmm

47. Boat737

Boat737 Well used Member

Well, if anyone would know, it would be his mother.

48. schiadart73

Gary Heinbach

49. Therealthing342

Therealthing342 Member

Attached Files:

50. AzGeo

AzGeo Well-Known Member

I liked Scott Pelleton (sp) because I always wanted to learn how to 'barefoot with ease' and not barefoot 'like I did it'. IMHO he did all the fun stuff, cool tricks, and still had the big ballz to go fast. I do remember a lot of guys who would 'hang on hard' at the circle races, but you all have mentioned most of them already.