WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Banshee guru

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Needed here!

Here's the long story,

So a couple 3? years ago life was great,making money,riding quads etc.

I have a 1987 Banshee,owned since new. Around 07 ish I make a deal with a guy to redo my engine,barrels(his custom porting) new crank and seals,etc,in exchange for painting his 19 Daytona.I banged out the boat in a couple weeks,and he takes my engine and has it a long time.He's a buddy,not worried about him I know he's buisy with work and wasn't a big deal.

While the engine's out I decide to go through the suspension.Denton Racing was down the fwy from where i worked,and already had their stuff on the wifes quad so thats where i went.

Swapped out the front J arms and A arms with their kit in chrome with heim joints,Elka shocks,nice deal and bolted in no prob.

Enter the rear and the real problem,picked up a rear swing arm+4 with billet carrier,and hardware kit along with a new chain slider.Had the shock re valved/sprung for the +4 and my weight.When i got everything home i figure out the bolt won't fit the hole that mounts the arm to the frame.Take it back they ream it,it fits,the deal bolts in.

Shock linkage bolts up bitchen,brakes and provided fit great,axle fits carrier,and the axle nut tightens down to where it did before,but the sprocket doesn't line up with the front.Its out boarsd by almost a half inch.
Of course I wont know its not lineing up though as my engine would not come back for months.
So the big day arives I install engine and figure out the chain dont line up,Denton was out of buisness:swear, and Im stuck.Looking for the easiest fix here.Im thinking the carrier may be wrong? Or st up for some kind of aftermarket axle/sprocket star dealio? I dunno.
The bike has other issues,needs a gas tank,cdi box and radiator.Is a back shelf prodject.

Any body? :(

Gelcoater

Reaction score
1026001758[1].jpg

1026001800[1].jpg

1026001801[1].jpg

A couple of the parts and one looking down the stock swing arm w/+2 extention.

speeddmn

Reaction score
That is not a banshee swing arm. It is for a raptor and they are different

speeddmn

Reaction score
On a banshee swingarm where it bolts to the frame in front should be the same distance on either side

Gelcoater

Reaction score
On a banshee swingarm where it bolts to the frame in front should be the same distance on either side
HHHHHHMMMMMMMMM.
This is something I have not noticed in the past?Might have to rip it apart and check.For some reason I think my stocker is longer on one side too?The chain slider side.

When you say Raptor,any year? I have a 660,maybe I should measure some shit.

scottietwohoty

Reaction score
I also believe that where the swing arm through bolts it's the same length on BOTH sides. I have the same chain slider and it wraps around the swing arm and the tab rests on top of it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
HHHHHHMMMMMMMMM.
This is something I have not noticed in the past?Might have to rip it apart and check.For some reason I think my stocker is longer on one side too?The chain slider side.

When you say Raptor,any year? I have a 660,maybe I should measure some shit.

is your old swing arm layin around??

Gelcoater

Reaction score
so your sayin nuthin lines up with the stock swing arm??

I thought u had the +4 on there now??

< scratching head
:DThe stock swing arm is on now,and everything lines up,has a 2" extention. The +4 is hanging on the wall as art,every thing bolts up,but the rear sprocket is out board by 1/2".So to run the new engine I put the old(stock) parts back.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
:DThe stock swing arm is on now,and everything lines up,has a 2" extention. The +4 is hanging on the wall as art,every thing bolts up,but the rear sprocket is out board by 1/2".So to run the new engine I put the old(stock) parts back.

so was speedmn correct? that was a pretty good call he made!! should be easy to see if you stand the quad no the grab bar.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
so was speedmn correct? that was a pretty good call he made!! should be easy to see if you stand the quad no the grab bar.
That will be the next step,got to finish cleaning the garage first.

If indeed thats the deal,I have no clue how to fix it.Although it may fit,it has no buisness on my Raptor,the Banshee's the one that needs it.

Anybody know,or know who used to make parts for Gary Denton Racing?Maybe they can make me a trade/deal on my useless to me parts for what i need?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That will be the next step,got to finish cleaning the garage first.

If indeed thats the deal,I have no clue how to fix it.Although it may fit,it has no buisness on my Raptor,the Banshee's the one that needs it.

Anybody know,or know who used to make parts for Gary Denton Racing?Maybe they can make me a trade/deal on my useless to me parts for what i need?

+4 for a raptor would be an Easy sell on Ebay. lemme know when you need a new one for the shee. I can prolly help you out there.

cave

Reaction score
Hey Gelcoater, from the pic you posted the bearing carrier hub is not centered, here is a Lone start Swing arm for a Banshee.
!BzKCV4!BGk~$(KGrHqN,!h8Ew5JRJ79iBMU)M+ECrg~~_3.JPG

notice that the bearing carrier hub is equal lengths on both sides

Here is you pic
attachment.php

The carrier hub is off to the right. Looks like the Swing arm is a blem. If you have any fabricator friends you could have them plasma cut it off and re tig the carrier hub back on. You may loose a 1/2" and need to re-chrome it. That is if it worth salvaging.

Here is a raw pic of what Cascade sells, notice the how the hub is equal on the brake side and the chain side.
BSA-004-B.jpg

Who ever fabicated the arm may have tried to compensate for the brake caliper mount. If that's a top pic.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Cave,thanks for taking time to post.

After reading I went outside and looked,seems equal on both sides,must have been the angle I shot it from? The carrier bearing itself looks the same as yours,so something is screwy with the arm.

Im thinking next week I may reinstall the parts and take a few more pics,and go from there.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
That is not a banshee swing arm. It is for a raptor and they are different
OK, I haven't swaped parts yet,BUT! I have confirmed it is NOT a Raptor arm.The shock linkage mount is about 1 1/8 wide on my part(and fits a Banshee linkage great when it was on the bike)the raptor linkage was 1 7/8 if I remember from last night.

My only question is did the 660 and 700 have different linkages? I checked on a 660.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
pretty much everything is different on those 2 quads.

i would guess the linkages would not interchange

proshop

Reaction score
that swimgarm is made by firebell racing (559)324-9533. they make great stuff give them a call

Gelcoater

Reaction score
7 year bump.:oops:
I took the wall art swing arm and carrier to Inland ATV in Loma Linda on Redlands blvd.
Stood the arm up to a known Banshee swing arm. Exact in every way.
The carrier, exact in every way.
So, the banshee comes it of the shed next week to try and mount this again.
The guys at Inland ATV were very helpful, and patient. :cool:
They invited me to mount it and bring it in to help figure it out.

I rode it almost a year ago in March. Broke the bolt on swing arm extension thingy on the stock arm.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Are you using a stock 35mm axle and stock sprocket hub, or aftermarket stuff?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Are you using a stock 35mm axle and stock sprocket hub, or aftermarket stuff?

Stock axle, stock hub, sorta..
Is an 87
87 came with 4 bolt sprocket hub.
I lunched mine at some point.
4 hub no longer available, switched to later model 6 bolt. All fit fine, worked fine. For years.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Funny side note.
Ordering that sprocket hub.was late 2001
Was at Malcom Smith ordering it and my wife was with me.
young parts counter kid brings out the 6 bolt deal.
I tell him it's wrong, mine's a 4 bolt.
He says it's a 97 Banshee part.
I say no, man. 1987.
The kid starts punching keys and stops.
Looks at me and says my computer doesn't go back that far. I need to go look at micro fish. Lol!
The manager intervened to let me know the 87 part wasn't made any more.
Meanwhile my wife had shit she wanted to do and is getting steamed.
As we were leaving she was going on about how rediculous that whole deal just was and I should just buy a new quad.
:eek::eek::eek:
Called Alba Motorsports the next day and bought a Raptor over the phone:D
My wife only has to tell me once to go buy a new toy. :)

thmterry

Reaction score
I paid $2790 otd for my 1st banshee in 1987 for an 88 Banshee. I have had at least one Banshee in my stable ever since. Currently have 3 with one being a 100 hp dune machine :D Most fun you can have at Glamis!!!!!!!!!!!!

poncho

Reaction score
I paid $2790 otd for my 1st banshee in 1987 for an 88 Banshee. I have had at least one Banshee in my stable ever since. Currently have 3 with one being a 100 hp dune machine :D Most fun you can have at Glamis!!!!!!!!!!!!
Used to run my CJ-5 on paddles at Sand Lakes in Oregon, chatted up a guy one day on a custom Banshee and we decided to trade rides for a few minutes as his G/F wanted them to get a Jeep.
Holy Hell, no idea how much HP but he said he had 10g's in his motor=1995
That thing sucked up every bump and had pull like the devil, amazing fast.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
We got these 87s at the end of 88
Yamaha couldn't move them.
A new Honda was $4,200
We got the 2 Banshees for $2,400 each. For that price they came with nerf bars, paddle tires and pipes.
Got them from the now gone Sunwest Cycle in Corona.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
7 year bump.:oops:
I took the wall art swing arm and carrier to Inland ATV in Loma Linda on Redlands blvd.
Stood the arm up to a known Banshee swing arm. Exact in every way.
The carrier, exact in every way.
So, the banshee comes it of the shed next week to try and mount this again.
The guys at Inland ATV were very helpful, and patient. :cool:
They invited me to mount it and bring it in to help figure it out.

I rode it almost a year ago in March. Broke the bolt on swing arm extension thingy on the stock arm.

Inland ATV know what they are doing. Good peeps.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Nice. Lets hear about it if you haven't before.

I run a 535 10MM stroker with a T Rex and CPI big bores 220psi. 100 on a wheel dyno. I love that ol girl. :)

thmterry

Reaction score
Nice. Lets hear about it if you haven't before.

I run a 535 10MM stroker with a T Rex and CPI big bores 220psi. 100 on a wheel dyno. I love that ol girl. :)
Basically mine is the same. Mine was the bike that Dan at DASA prototype the TRex stuff on .

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
An old picture of mine after I built it, this is in the riverside shop before I took the graphics off and changed the seat.

banshee riv.jpg

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Mmmmm. I can smell the two stroke thru my phone! Makes me happy.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Yessir. My wifes looks identical, minus the pipes. ;)

Ill usually race my wifes bike and if I get beat, I cut out early and go back for mine before everyone else gets back to the line. ;)

Brian
What pipes are those?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
CPI big bore.
What would you suggest for something about 400cc?
I been looking for a clean set of T3s but have t found any.
I like how your pipes tuck, like the T3 and the Klemms I have.
The Klemm pipe is fine on a stockish unit but gives up top end vs the T3

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
What would you suggest for something about 400cc?
I been looking for a clean set of T3s but have t found any.
I like how your pipes tuck, like the T3 and the Klemms I have.
The Klemm pipe is fine on a stockish unit but gives up top end vs the T3

I'd put my money on a set of shearer or sniper pipes
Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Shearer pipes are good too for smaller bores.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I almost want to say the CPI big bores would work on a 400cc.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
GC what is the bike intended for? Just dunning, little drag, overall just a play bike?

On a 400 (I'm assuming a 392cc stock stroke cub?) you will want to run a small bore pipe. As suggested earlier, the Shearer or Sniper would probably be a good fit on a bike setup like described above. Typically those are a bit more expensive, and a bit harder to find on the used market. I would personally probably run CPI on that, but lots of guys are having great results from the SLP pipes also. I'd stay away from any of the Toomey stuff unless you are looking for more of a trail type pipe. They don't create much more down low, and sign off really early. Be warned, the Shearer chrome SUCKS! Most of all DO NOT buy anything from Motor City! Guy is a crook!

If you're into fast bangshee shit, some of the fastest bikes in the country will be racing in Bakersfield February 1-4. Lots of 50k bikes at that race.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
GC what is the bike intended for? Just dunning, little drag, overall just a play bike?

On a 400 (I'm assuming a 392cc stock stroke cub?) you will want to run a small bore pipe. As suggested earlier, the Shearer or Sniper would probably be a good fit on a bike setup like described above. Typically those are a bit more expensive, and a bit harder to find on the used market. I would personally probably run CPI on that, but lots of guys are having great results from the SLP pipes also. I'd stay away from any of the Toomey stuff unless you are looking for more of a trail type pipe. They don't create much more down low, and sign off really early. Be warned, the Shearer chrome SUCKS! Most of all DO NOT buy anything from Motor City! Guy is a crook!

If you're into fast bangshee shit, some of the fastest bikes in the country will be racing in Bakersfield February 1-4. Lots of 50k bikes at that race.

Ported Yamaha cylinders, 66mm bore, +4mm crank.
Mostly a dune quad, with a flick up the hill or the flat drags on occasion.
Made some room in the garage today and dragged the thing out of the tool shed.
image.jpg

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Easy on those cylds at 66. I'm assuming you have some sort variant on a cool head with domes to keep that bore in check, or at least a well worked stock head. If that's my setup, I run CPI small bore.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Easy on those cylds at 66. I'm assuming you have some sort variant on a cool head with domes to keep that bore in check, or at least a well worked stock head. If that's my setup, I run CPI small bore.

Thanks for the input!
No, no cool head. The stock head was massaged quite a bit to work with the stroke;)

So, CPI small bores...
I'm really glad I haven't saved receipts over the years on how much has been put into this thing.:confused:

Pretty sure I coulda had a corvette:mad:

:D

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Good luck airing out the corvette. ;)

Thanks for the input!
No, no cool head. The stock head was massaged quite a bit to work with the stroke;)

So, CPI small bores...
I'm really glad I haven't saved receipts over the years on how much has been put into this thing.:confused:

Pretty sure I coulda had a corvette:mad:

:D

Gelcoater

Reaction score

Good luck airing out the corvette. ;)
I have another question for you guys. A couple actually.
First.
The engine has a Ricky Stator deal on it with adjustable timing plate.
Right now zero is in line with the part line between the upper and lower engine case.
Where should it be for optimal power/reliability?

Second. Gearing. Last time out I ran a 14/44
I run an 8 paddle Dico turf tamer straight paddle, 20x11-9
It felt too low. Just spinning tire.
I didn't play with launching it as I knew that other rear end was on borrowed time.
I'm thinking 14/41 or 14/42 this time?