WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

B.O.A.T.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Hopefully you Break Out Another Thousand less times than will make it
Bankruptcy On A Trailer for youđŸ‘đŸ».

Missing trips or “swimming trips” with the fam sucks I can relate. I had a similar story when I took our old boat in for service and the mechanic had me listen with a stethoscope to the drive internals grinding. Surprise😱

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I’m in the same B.O.A.T! Dropped mine off for annual service and impeller replacement . Mechanic drained what he said was 10 quarts of dirty milky oil. Then boat won’t idle unless at 3,000rpm. Also boat is overheating on starboard side. Port side is cool. So starting with carb rebuild, new thermostat then go from there. Boat has always started and idled no issues for 13 years. It’s a 2006 bought in 2010 inly ever needed annual maintenance. I guess it was due with how long I’ve had it. I was literally going to ask him are you looking at my boat or someone else’s. Lol. But he has serviced for at least 8 years. With the oil issue could be a head gasket. Hope not. We will see.

Roosky01

Reaction score
I went 3 or 4 weeks without our boat at the beginning of last season due to repairs. Pretty sure I looked like someone trying to kick heroin during that time.

My wife was all sweaty and curled up in the fetal position right along with me...

Runs2rch

Reaction score
A few weeks, months you guys are rookies! Try going 1 1/2 years it was a long road to get mine back on the water.
I hope everything goes smooth for you oldschoolboats.
Why didn't you just go the longblock route?

boatnam2

Reaction score
My 2 worse days were #1, warming up motor on trailer and I hear a sudden knock and shut off motor quickly, dropped a valve seat and kicked it through the motor, full rebuild. Couple years ago friend asks if I can take him over to Sundance, didn't even get on plane just idling straight across river from echo and motor start ticking, take her in, she was do for a new top end anyways, ended up doing whole motor, plus drive that was shot, think that little didly was about 26k.The smoked impellers and cleaning out all the lines also a few times.

JFMFG

Reaction score
A few weeks, months you guys are rookies! Try going 1 1/2 years it was a long road to get mine back on the water.
I hope everything goes smooth for you oldschoolboats.
Mine was 10 months for a new long block replacement I can go for hours about this but shit happens.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
307 hour 525 needs a full re build. Got a quote from Pro Marine but am going to look around.

Absolutely gut wrenching. Season over.

IMG_4390.jpg

IMG_4391.jpg

IMG_4389.jpg

IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_4386.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4385.jpg
    IMG_4385.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 45

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
did she hydrolock on you at rpm? if not, you could probably throw a head gasket at it and save your season and rebuild it this winter

Nope didn't lock-up at speed. Mechanic said there is no way to do that.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
did she hydrolock on you at rpm? if not, you could probably throw a head gasket at it and save your season and rebuild it this winter
I think you missed the partial piston in one of the holes. Or is that liquid sitting on the piston, it’s hard to tell but it’s not the same color as the holes next to it.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I think you missed the partial piston in one of the holes. Or is that liquid sitting on the piston, it’s hard to tell but it’s not the same color as the holes next to it.
That's liquid. It's one of the 3 bad holes. You can see the bad head gasket sitting on the block.

I'd say throw a head gasket on it, do another leak down and compression test and if good, run it.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
That's liquid. It's one of the 3 bad holes. You can see the bad head gasket sitting on the block.

I'd say throw a head gasket on it, do another leak down and compression test and if good, run it.

Not going to half ass it for a couple months of boating. We will do it right and hopefully be ready for Thanksgiving on the lake again.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I was hoping for a better outcome here, sorry Joe. It will all be good in time. The lake isn't going anywhere.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Well that really sucks. Is this going to come out the other side a 625?

Did this just happen in one outing Joe? Was it degrading over time?

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Not going to half ass it for a couple months of boating. We will do it right and hopefully be ready for Thanksgiving on the lake again.
If it was something you had pulled yourself and found it might be different. I couldn’t spend the $ with a mechanic just to have to rip it apart again or worry about something coming apart and having to buy a block too. Shit deal bro. Just tell George he can have the storage for free for a year if you get to use his boat. Probably be cleaner than it has ever been. 😂😂

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Nope didn't lock-up at speed. Mechanic said there is no way to do that.

oh but there is, just ask my Ultra. OG engine hydrolocked while I was pickling it on the 5th run cycle at 2k rpm. spagettied the rods

just coolant from what I can see. looks like he has 3 wet cylinders, the one I think you are referring just looks to be a play on eyes with piston position and the carbon changing the perceived color of the coolant from after the head pull

if you're cylinders aren't scored and the pistons and valves look OK, you could easily get another several hundred hours out of it before rebuilding in all honesty with only doing the head gasket. It's not half assing it if the only thing that failed is the gasket. Don't make the problem out to be bigger than it is and kill your boating season because of it. I have put dozens of motors back in service without the need for a full rebuild from similar situations to what I can see from your pictures

Last edited:

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
That sucks. Hope you can beyond this and back to good times on the water

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
oh but there is, just ask my Ultra. OG engine hydrolocked at 2k RPM while I was pickling it on the 5th run cycle at 2k rpm. spagettied the rods

just coolant from what I can see. looks like he has 3 wet cylinders, the one you are referring to was the last to spring a leak as it is not fully steam cleaned yet.

if you're cylinders aren't scored and the pistons and valves look OK, you could easily get another several hundred hours out of it before rebuilding in all honesty with only doing the head gasket. It's not half assing it if the only thing that failed is the gasket. Don't make the problem out to be bigger than it is and kill your boating season because of it. I have put dozens of motors back in service without the need for a full rebuild from similar situations to what I can see from your pictures

This.. but is the pic bad, or is there a piece of piston missing? That changes things a bit if so.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
This.. but is the pic bad, or is there a piece of piston missing? That changes things a bit if so.

bad pic with a little bit of coolant sitting on top of a carboned piston from when the head was lifted off. the other 3 cylinders had coolant leaks

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Joe so sorry to hear of the latest challenge. As I have noted in the past if there is anything that our family can do to help you guys have some time on the water please don’t hesitate to reach out. Keep your head up it will all work out. 👍

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Well that really sucks. Is this going to come out the other side a 625?

Did this just happen in one outing Joe? Was it degrading over time?

Didn't even get it out. Was running fine our last trip over Thanksgiving and then serviced, put new drive on, started it and this.

If Pro Marine does the rebuild, it should end up putting put between 660 - 675 HP when done.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Didn't even get it out. Was running fine our last trip over Thanksgiving and then serviced, put new drive on, started it and this.

If Pro Marine does the rebuild, it should end up putting put between 660 - 675 HP when done.

Wild. If the deck of the block and the rods are straight Joe, everything else can be fixed without a “full rebuild” Joe.

We don’t know all the details obviously, but don’t feel like a rebuild is necessary in this instance just because it smoked a head gasket.

Last edited:

Andy B.

Reaction score
I don't believe any engine builders claim on HP numbers until I seen it for myself(in person) on a dyno. And I don't care who it is big name builders or small shop guys.
I hope yours turns out well and goes smooth I myself learned quite a bit about blocks,heads,gaskets from seeing the process with my own eyes....
Either way you have a beautiful boat and I'm just jealous!😁

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Wild. If the deck of the block and the rods are straight Joe, everything else can be fixed without a “full rebuild” Joe.

We don’t know all the details obviously, but don’t feel like a rebuild is necessary in this instance just because it smoked a head gasket.

Deck of the block is not straight

Bpracing1127

Reaction score

Careful with the hp gain. Next will be that brand new drive you just put on. They don’t last forever and added hp/tq will have you doing drive rebuilds more often.

The #s you are stating will be ok but it won’t last forever

77charger

Reaction score
Ouch. But a full rebuild you will be more confident than a patch job which may last forever or just a weekend.

Personally I would pull engine and look into bottom end and go from there but I’m also one who can build and engine too but once bottom end apart to me it’s just a few bucks more to freshen it up. My young days I’d replace gasket cross fingers and go. My old self well you’re here replace the damn parts do it right.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

Ugh, don’t do that. I’ll text you.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Ouch. But a full rebuild you will be more confident than a patch job which may last forever or just a weekend.

Personally I would pull engine and look into bottom end and go from there but I’m also one who can build and engine too but once bottom end apart to me it’s just a few bucks more to freshen it up. My young days I’d replace gasket cross fingers and go. My old self well you’re here replace the damn parts do it right.
The engine is pulled hence doing it right now. The labor is done already

77charger

Reaction score
The engine is pulled hence doing it right now. The labor is done already
Yup might as well do it all. Like I said I’m my younger days id patch but the smarter older me is when your a certain ways in change certain parts.my guess today an engine remove and reinstall is probably 1k or more and that’s just a guess I don’t know current prices so wouldn’t surprise me if it’s more.

Buggy engine comes out for clutch job seals on trans and engine get changed 10 dollar parts for not having to remove again worth it. Glad we get wiser as we get older 😂😂

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
307 hour 525 needs a full re build. Got a quote from Pro Marine but am going to look around.

Absolutely gut wrenching. Season over.

View attachment 1245438

View attachment 1245439

View attachment 1245440

View attachment 1245441

View attachment 1245441
That’s does suck Joe. Sorry to hear. But look at this way you are getting to spend lots of time at the ball fields with now that my son is 19 I miss so much. Yes I missed going to Havasu but I miss all his baseball and basketball games.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
That’s does suck Joe. Sorry to hear. But look at this way you are getting to spend lots of time at the ball fields with now that my son is 19 I miss so much. Yes I missed going to Havasu but I miss all his baseball and basketball games.

I feel you Ed and love watching them compete. Would rather do it over anything.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Sucks bud. I hurt my engine also. Season over before it began. Gunna be a rebuild if it’s possible or a new engine â˜č. Total bummer. I feel for ya

69hondo

Reaction score
Man Joe what a bummer. I know how it feels when the boat just keeps kicking you in the nuts. I guess it’s part of our hobby but it certainly sucks.

Englewood

Reaction score
I feel your pain Joe. These last 2 years it seems like every time I turn around something needs 5k.

My trim quit working on one of my outboards. Just took it in, whole system needs replacing. $4k. Awesome.

• Wow
Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
I feel your pain Joe. These last 2 years it seems like every time I turn around something needs 5k.

My trim quit working on one of my outboards. Just took it in, whole system needs replacing. $4k. Awesome.
Told my wife after getting the drives refreshed this year that i finally get why boats with fresh motors/drives are for sale. SOB..

PS. Every time that i see a twin toon for sale I think about making the switch. You may have just changed my mind😬

Tank0088

Reaction score
Saw this and maybe this could be an option for the summer

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 1.41.13 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 1.41.13 PM.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 1.41.30 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 1.41.30 PM.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 70

Englewood

Reaction score
Told my wife after getting the drives refreshed this year that i finally get why boats with fresh motors/drives are for sale. SOB..

PS. Every time that i see a twin toon for sale I think about making the switch. You may have just changed my mind😬
Best boating decision I’ve ever made, without question, was going from a custom deck boat to a twin pontoon. Even with the $4k surprise đŸ€Šâ€â™‚ïž.