WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Converting a MCI bus into an RV...

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
If you have time.Hershey Chocolates tour. Kids will never forget the day they toured Hershey Chocolate.If open?

we spent a day at Hershey park! Hot but it was actually a nice park! We have had Disneyland passes for a long time and I’d say they did a great job compared to like knotts and six flags (ghetto and filthy)

54F5D215-5572-42E0-A14C-7CD255D826FB.jpeg

Ol Man

Reaction score
Thanks for your summary. Sounds like your design is working well for you. You are really doing well on fuel mileage. I get about 8 on my present 38 foot pusher and previous 35 foot pusher.

Continue enjoying your vacation.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Thanks for your summary. Sounds like your design is working well for you. You are really doing well on fuel mileage. I get about 8 on my present 38 foot pusher and previous 35 foot pusher.

Continue enjoying your vacation.

I’m def impressed with the Detroit 12.7. It continues to pull up hills easily. Only problem I am having is a governor at 70. Sometimes when trying to pass or getting a running start at a hill some more speed is necessary. Im not looking to cruise faster I like just going 65-70. But having it fall on its face has been frustrating. I’ve been really liking the Allison transmission brake retard. The first setting lightly applies it with just braking, next click is lightly with decel and then more aggressive the more I push it. Less actual braking the better on the hills.

it was pretty crazy though to lift the engine hatch under our bed and see just how massive that motor is.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
This jellystone campground is amazing. They have tractor and monster truck rides, water park slides, etc. nailed my parking spot backed in first try. Everyone was watching thinking I couldn’t fit. Woo!

1C1577EE-B859-45C0-A946-4090900A2DE2.jpeg
F2F63EB1-84FC-4850-8248-9A77A0C61A16.jpeg
627CC9A2-4157-4D9F-80B8-793C5D6B8C3D.jpeg
EC028ECC-732A-408B-A00D-AB0F1E182201.jpeg
36A927AF-B641-4713-AC8E-5DE7E4D5100E.jpeg

fmo24

Reaction score
Next you need to set up one of your minis to flat tow so you have a run around car.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Next you need to set up one of your minis to flat tow so you have a run around car.

unfortunately we sold the blue one that was a manual. Our white s is an auto and can’t be flat towed. I was thinking about ditching that and grabbing a little focus zx3 like I had before. They’re super light and pretty reliable, unlike the minis.
E30F7DF4-DE01-4394-B3CA-7405D29EFBFE.jpeg

dirtslinger2

Reaction score

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Nice! Curious where you parked the rig in the Boston area.

sister in laws house. Hah driving in downtown would be hell. We have had to drive through some towns and roads that the bus clearly was not meant to be on. But some times the locals have been very helpful. I had to pull over for a phone call and a policeman checked on us, etc. for the most part we have been able to drive most places… one road had a 10 ton limit and we were on it for maybe two miles before hopping on a highway. So far no low bridges, but we are pretty low if I drop the bus down it’s 6”.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
You guys obviously research and plan every project,every trip,experts time management etc. Low bridges could be major factor planning your daily travels. Good to know you aware,especially this first major trip right out of the build gate.

WildHorses24

Reaction score
yeah here on a Friday and the other side is completely empty.
Gonna toss the ez up out and let the kids splash around before he head home for the last leg.

You home yet? Looks like some drama in your track!!! Swat, county heli, Multi-casualty Incident!!?? Saw it in the HB community forum and thought of you guys… hopefully you’re sipping Colorado Coolaid by the water still [emoji6]

Update: Buddy is HB Det, multiple shot while serving an eviction notice.. resident was lying in wait.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: DWC

ka0tyk

Reaction score
You home yet? Looks like some drama in your track!!! Swat, county heli, Multi-casualty Incident!!?? Saw it in the HB community forum and thought of you guys… hopefully you’re sipping Colorado Coolaid by the water still [emoji6]

Update: Buddy is HB Det, multiple shot while serving an eviction notice.. resident was lying in wait.

we're fine, we actually were over at kaiser getting a covid check when all that went down and we're 3 or so blocks away.

ehhh it was a little more than that. a guy lived with his father in the home, mid 50's. father died and before he did so, the guy wrote a letter had the father sign it along with a witness (not a notary) saying that he was leaving him the house. his two sisters came along after the dad died and wanted to sell the house they thought they were entitled to. they used some real estate loop hole and attemped along with their realtor and another (who was supposed to be the muscle in this process) and served dude a 24 hour eviction notice. guy came outside, shot the muscle dead, shot the sister and the other realtor in like the arm and went back inside and thats where the standoff left.

people sure get greedy for things they never worked a day in their life for and are willing to die for them...

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Good lord these oil filters are HUGE and it runs two. The blue one is a filter for my 8.1 for comparison.

DCF1E5D9-7A06-4FD1-B03F-0ADC8C407780.jpeg

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Oil changes are fun, get your 5 gallon bucket ready!

Yeah it def takes a LOT more oil than I am used to. Also was surprised to see that it has a coolant filter. Anyways gonna do all the filters and such, I didnt do it for our trip because it had recently been serviced with records and such. Just checked the levels. But after our 6000 mile trip its time.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
I’ve been really liking the Allison transmission brake retard. The first setting lightly applies it with just braking, next click is lightly with decel and then more aggressive the more I push it. Less actual braking the better on the hills.
Your fuel mileage is impressive. With the Cummins ISM450, my 38' has got a best of 7.9mph not towing. 10 is amazing!

The trans retarders are awesome! Sounds like you have the 6-position joystick as well. That makes braking so much easier. In town, I just use the joystick and barely have to touch the service brakes. On the longer or higher setting decels, you do need to watch retarder oil temp though. Retarder output temp goes up quickly, and is separate from trans temp. I run the VMSpc software and have it connected to the J-1939 bus to monitor engine and transmission data, and watch this while using it. The retarder temp has a max transient of 330*F if I remember correctly. I generally let off it if I see it get to 250 or so. Higher temps mean more frequent trans fluid changes.

As for the oil changes, you might consider something like the drain pan I got: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114727103836

Looks like you're enjoying it...that's the key!

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Your fuel mileage is impressive. With the Cummins ISM450, my 38' has got a best of 7.9mph not towing. 10 is amazing!

The trans retarders are awesome! Sounds like you have the 6-position joystick as well. That makes braking so much easier. In town, I just use the joystick and barely have to touch the service brakes. On the longer or higher setting decels, you do need to watch retarder oil temp though. Retarder output temp goes up quickly, and is separate from trans temp. I run the VMSpc software and have it connected to the J-1939 bus to monitor engine and transmission data, and watch this while using it. The retarder temp has a max transient of 330*F if I remember correctly. I generally let off it if I see it get to 250 or so. Higher temps mean more frequent trans fluid changes.

As for the oil changes, you might consider something like the drain pan I got: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114727103836

Looks like you're enjoying it...that's the key!

I think the biggest factor of mpg is speed... I generally have cruise set at 65. I'm getting a J1708/J1587 programmer so I can see everything the bus is doing as well as calculate total mpg per trip, engine load, etc. I'm not sure if I have the abiility to see "retarder temp" I think its all looped together with trans temp. I notice on a long hill if I have it on 2nd notch (first is only with the brakes pedal depressed) that the trans temp creeps up a little higher than usual.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I have the abiility to see "retarder temp" I think its all looped together with trans temp. I notice on a long hill if I have it on 2nd notch (first is only with the brakes pedal depressed) that the trans temp creeps up a little higher than usual.
I'm guessing that's a 12-pin J1708/J1587? If so, the Silverleaf VMSpc will work. That's what I have.

Connector.jpg

J1708-J1939_connector_comparison_8-17c_0.jpg

Here's the 2-in-1 laptop with the keyboard removed I use to display all the data. Microsoft Surface 4 Pro (2015 model I got for $300 on Craigslist), using 3 of the Magic Mount Pro XL magnet phone mounts to hold it to the dash.

Screen-12-pin.jpg

DashArea.jpg

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Just doing some misc odd and ends. Got all the pocket doors cut painted and hung with hardware. Doing closet door and cubby doors with hinges. Also converting away from drawers in the bunk rooms to lift up beds with storage underneath.

88F45F20-6A19-4DFC-9DDF-E9CE07718BB3.jpeg
3A8977EE-5973-4464-B5B0-60B986F6DBC2.jpeg
1EEF3035-8008-4D70-9345-4FA7FBEA5473.jpeg
FCCFB915-1C67-4B74-8594-B287E0B0FA2A.jpeg
EEC8B69A-2B11-47A6-BEEB-C0C2EED9A829.jpeg

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Got a license plate to go with the bus and our YouTube channel. RV THT BS

BB8A6D38-C7C1-4ABD-BF1D-FA1C93DCC6F2.jpeg

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Tore apart the front cleaned the front ac coils and we ended up spraying everything with a grey vinyl/plastic spray that looks pretty good. Not shiney more like an oem finish.
722EAB5C-1205-4FA8-8E10-B2ACED8486AA.jpeg

886F13DB-61BB-4B92-A154-6B35C6A31AF0.jpeg

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Got some camping sheets
9FE76834-359A-4F0E-96A1-9403548DFE1F.jpeg

ka0tyk

Reaction score
We have been posting a lot on Instagram etc. we have started getting recognized for brands like kitchenaid, furrion, rice-a-roni, etc.
2887A68D-D702-40A6-830E-33C1B6239D86.jpeg

ka0tyk

Reaction score
This is how I get rid of stress and relax. Wash and clean, polish wheels at the campsite. Heh

0D85B5F6-4B16-4A3F-9669-1FAFCCA9E13F.jpeg
0F64B922-E949-41DE-8918-2FFB1EC6B213.jpeg

All clean and ready for this weeks trip!
C92455C9-6FCE-4CD9-8CF2-6C1A350C93A8.jpeg

Ol Man

Reaction score
I have really enjoyed following your Youtube videos. You have accomplished a lot.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Tonight’s project. As some of you know who watch our YouTube channel we control our lights with a micro controller called an “Arduino.” It’s an inexpensive yet powerful and open source method of having a programmable way to control things. We divided our lighting in our bus into six sections. Front, kitchen, bath, bunk, bedroom, and center row. Why do we need a center row to be it’s own section? Well those who have a bus know when you need to walk from the front to any section back you need to turn on the lights. But what if you’re going all the way to the back bedroom to sleep? You don’t want to have to turn on every section along the way. Each section has two simple push buttons mounted on the wall. The top button when pressed will turn that sections lights on and off. The bottom button will turn on and off the center row of the entire bus. Each section has six 12v lights and three center row lights for a total of 45 led lights. That’s a lot to control with just switches. There is a 5v positive signal from our Arduino to each button. When pressed a circuit is made and that signal is sent back to the arduino’s specific pin. The code sees a “high” signal and it’s action is to send a “high” signal on another pin to a relay which applies 12v current to that sections led lights.

However 9 lights in each section is pretty bright. Currently we only have on/off with a relay board. That’s where this comes into play. To properly dim a led light you need to do something called “pulse width modulation.” Think of it as an extremely fast blinking of the light. The higher the frequency, the more it blinks the more light is emitted from the bulb, the brighter it is. With all the lights they require a decent amount of amps to run which the arduino itself cannot support. So I built this “hat” for our arduino which will remove the relays and replace with these “mosfets” which will allow us to dim our 45 “high current” lights efficiently. So once installed a press will turn them on/off and then a long press will do a dimming cycle, releasing will keep it at that setting.

Having a controller can at some point allow us to set a timer, or control the lights remotely using our phones/Bluetooth.

Stay tuned for a video demonstrating this process. I understand a lot of this seems extremely complicated to most.

701CF072-2FA4-46F2-9ADD-84D5982CBB6F.jpeg
90AD2740-B5A7-46EA-B32C-FF6CFB695948.jpeg
8DD2977A-A53B-48B8-A1F1-6EC80604E8F3.jpeg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Tonight’s project. As some of you know who watch our YouTube channel we control our lights with a micro controller called an “Arduino.” It’s an inexpensive yet powerful and open source method of having a programmable way to control things. We divided our lighting in our bus into six sections. Front, kitchen, bath, bunk, bedroom, and center row. Why do we need a center row to be it’s own section? Well those who have a bus know when you need to walk from the front to any section back you need to turn on the lights. But what if you’re going all the way to the back bedroom to sleep? You don’t want to have to turn on every section along the way. Each section has two simple push buttons mounted on the wall. The top button when pressed will turn that sections lights on and off. The bottom button will turn on and off the center row of the entire bus. Each section has six 12v lights and three center row lights for a total of 45 led lights. That’s a lot to control with just switches. There is a 5v positive signal from our Arduino to each button. When pressed a circuit is made and that signal is sent back to the arduino’s specific pin. The code sees a “high” signal and it’s action is to send a “high” signal on another pin to a relay which applies 12v current to that sections led lights.

However 9 lights in each section is pretty bright. Currently we only have on/off with a relay board. That’s where this comes into play. To properly dim a led light you need to do something called “pulse width modulation.” Think of it as an extremely fast blinking of the light. The higher the frequency, the more it blinks the more light is emitted from the bulb, the brighter it is. With all the lights they require a decent amount of amps to run which the arduino itself cannot support. So I built this “hat” for our arduino which will remove the relays and replace with these “mosfets” which will allow us to dim our 45 “high current” lights efficiently. So once installed a press will turn them on/off and then a long press will do a dimming cycle, releasing will keep it at that setting.

Having a controller can at some point allow us to set a timer, or control the lights remotely using our phones/Bluetooth.

Stay tuned for a video demonstrating this process. I understand a lot of this seems extremely complicated to most.

View attachment 1075683 View attachment 1075684 View attachment 1075685

Super cool!

I've used lots of these pre-printed boards from sparkfun as well. They make it super easy to build "shields" for the arduino.

If you need any help on the code i've spent a lot of time working with arduino. 👍👍