WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu Riviera Build

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
My wife and I purchased lot 36 last year the first day they opened for sales. Our property is a corner lot on the third tier and is two levels. The views from our lot are close to 240°, from copper canyon on our left to London bridge on the right.

IMG_20210130_164918186.jpg
IMG_20210130_164921698.jpg

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
All of the houses in the Marina View neighborhood have to be"Desert Contemporary". The plans already have preliminary approval by the HOA design review committee. Our house plans were submitted to the City for plan check the first week of January. I expect to have a building permit in hand the end of this month. Last week we stopped by the lot and the water meter was installed, which the city will only do when you are close to a permit.

FB_IMG_1612633272912~2.jpg

Last edited:

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
My mom has been a custom home Architect in Los Angeles for 40+ years. We have been working together for months designing the house and doing value engineering during the structural design phase. The house is three levels. The upper level is our main living level, our street address, formal front entry and also has a two car garage for day to day use. The second level below the main living level has a open stairway in the middle with a kids bunk room on one side and a gym on the other. The lowest level is the boat, RV and toy garage which is 55' deep.

Screenshot_20210206-103414.jpg
Screenshot_20210206-103355.jpg
Screenshot_20210206-103450.jpg
Screenshot_20210206-103440.jpg
Screenshot_20210206-103425.jpg

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I almost forgot one of the most important parts of making this dream a reality. At the night before the Damn Dam run party at @jeepdog house, my wife and I told Stacy Johnson @RiverDiva that we wanted to buy in the Riviera. We saw Stacy last year at the LA boat show and reminded her that we were still really interested in the Riviera. The day before the Riviera lots ended up going on the market to the public, Trent Timothy an agent that works for Stacy got wind that super secret presales started. Trent called Stacy and let her know what was going on. Stacy told Trent to call me ASAP and I ended up picking a lot that night and putting in a offer the next morning. Had Stacy and Trent not been on it and totally wired in Havasu, I would never have had a chance at buying a premium lot in the Riviera. Stacy runs the best real estate agency in Havasu, with the most knowledgeable agent's in town. I can't recommend Team RDP Real Estate more!

Tank

Reaction score
So bad ass. Can’t wait to follow the build thread and see your dream house came together. Congrats!!

Hammer

Reaction score
Really like the house layout. Look forward to watching this come together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franky

Reaction score
My wife and I purchased lot 36 last year the first day they opened for sales. Our property is a corner lot on the third tier and is two levels. The views from our lot are close to 240°, from copper canyon on our left to London bridge on the right.

View attachment 970111 View attachment 970112
I have to ask, will you always have that 240 view even after there are houses built around you?

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I have to ask, will you always have that 240 view even after there are houses built around you?

Yes, there is a max roof of 15 feet and each lot is 16 feet higher than each other. Also the lot I purchased has no house's to the right of me. The only view I will end up partially losing will be way down low by the water line of the lake.

franky

Reaction score
Yes, there is a max roof of 15 feet and each lot is 16 feet higher than each other. Also the lot I purchased has no house's to the right of me. The only view I will end up partially losing will be way down low by the water line of the lake.
That's great!

DC-88

Reaction score
Looks very nice, congrats. Great views, and it looks like there's a couple view corridors down the streets as well from the pics, plus being on the corner should be good for garage access . Getting the build done early in relation to the rest of the subdivision will be a much smoother process than building in-fill on lots like these which is what we unfortunately do quite a bit of (p.i.t.a.).

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Our house plans were submitted to the City for plan check the first week of January. I expect to have a building permit in hand the end of this month.

Did the city hire more staff? It took them 3+ months to approve ours just before the holidays.

One2go

Reaction score
Looks awesome,...going to be amazing!
Did you use a contractor or you doing it yourself with subs ?. What's this lumber price insanity doing to build,or already locked in to a number. I have approved plans for my house (on Island) but lumber increases has stalled me.
Your lumber and truss package is substantial looking at your plans :oops:

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Did the city hire more staff? It took them 3+ months to approve ours just before the holidays.

I have no idea, but the Building department said 6-8 week's. We are around the 6 week mark now. I had a feeling someone with recent experience was gonna give me a dose of reality. Haha

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Looks awesome,...going to be amazing!
Did you use a contractor or you doing it yourself with subs ?. What's this lumber price insanity doing to build,or already locked in to a number. I have approved plans for my house (on Island) but lumber increases has stalled me.
Your lumber and truss package is substantial looking at your plans :oops:

Thank you! I have one of the more reputable builders in Havasu (A recommendation from Stacy) bidding on it since December. They are having a hard time getting bids from some of the trades. I am freaked the fuck out over lumber and steel prices. I think there could be as much as a 100k swing in my total building cost. I am a contractor in LA and my backup plan is to knock out the grading and concrete myself and have one of the framing companies I work with do it. All of my trusses are open web and I don't think they will be a big cost. I have a substantial amount of structural steel and I think this will be my biggest line item behind framing lumber. Since I seem to be in the Havasu time vortex, it might work in my favor and when it is time to start framing, I'm hoping lumber prices will drop.

One2go

Reaction score
The local guys dont seam to want or care to bid on quite a bit of my build as well,I realize they are slammed with work right now.Had a few exceptions tho. Framing number is my biggest concern,I dont have much structural steel just some columns in rv garage.I'm contractor in so cal as well,my subs here wont go that far, lol. I'm hoping prices drop come summer into fall but not holding my breath.Will be following your build,hope goes well !!

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score

I received my corrections from building plan check today, that's 5 weeks. If I make my corrections and resubmit right away, my guess is I will have a building permit in the next 3-4 weeks.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
The local guys dont seam to want or care to bid on quite a bit of my build as well,I realize they are slammed with work right now.Had a few exceptions tho. Framing number is my biggest concern,I dont have much structural steel just some columns in rv garage.I'm contractor in so cal as well,my subs here wont go that far, lol. I'm hoping prices drop come summer into fall but not holding my breath.Will be following your build,hope goes well !!

I called some the higher ups at the supplier's I use and they seem to think we will see pricing move down in April.

I have a meeting with my general contractors on Thursday morning in Havasu and we will see where they are at in getting the complete bid put together.

BTW, I have spoken to some of the subs I work with and they didn't say no to coming to Havasu, as long as I take them boating!

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Wish me luck. I'm submitting my plan check plans and my color/material board to the Riviera design review committee for final approval tomorrow. Once the DRC approves my submission, I will turn everything into the city for final approval and I should have a building permit two weeks after that. Shit is about to get real!

SAM_3293.JPG

Brobee

Reaction score
Wish me luck. I'm submitting my plan check plans and my color/material board to the Riviera design review committee for final approval tomorrow. Once the DRC approves my submission, I will turn everything into the city for final approval and I should have a building permit two weeks after that. Shit is about to get real!

View attachment 978817

Either that garage door is tiny or the front door is massive. Congratulations either way, I can imagine it’s pretty exciting.

waterboy

PONTOON MEMBER
Reaction score
Will be watching your build, and I’ll be picking your brain when we are ready.

DB / HAV

Reaction score
Totally bad ass lot & house!! Please keep the build pictures coming.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Either that garage door is tiny or the front door is massive. Congratulations either way, I can imagine it’s pretty exciting.

The front door is a 48" pivot door. The side light and wood cladding make it look bigger.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
What kind of header/support is need with a big open span like that? Do you have cut sheets or shop drawings of the requirements ?

That is all dependent on the door system that is used. There is not really a one size fits all. Folding doors are top hung and wold require a larger header depending size and weight of the door. Sliding/pocketing are typically bottom rolling thus the header requirement is reduced. As for the size required you still have several other variables. Door opening size and weight are just two things to consider. Then you have live & dead load, second floor roofing weight etc....

We typically consult the structural engineers for header sizing. I have seen everything from a 4x12 up to huge steel i-beams.

I hope that this helps

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
This looks like an awesome lot and design! Congrats!

I’m wondering why you are forgoing the rack storage option and building an RV garage though.:p

Hammer

Reaction score
That is all dependent on the door system that is used. There is not really a one size fits all. Folding doors are top hung and wold require a larger header depending size and weight of the door. Sliding/pocketing are typically bottom rolling thus the header requirement is reduced. As for the size required you still have several other variables. Door opening size and weight are just two things to consider. Then you have live & dead load, second floor roofing weight etc....

We typically consult the structural engineers for header sizing. I have seen everything from a 4x12 up to huge steel i-beams.

I hope that this helps

Definitely Helps, I have done doors similar to this for clients. I just had not seen a corner opening like that. Pretty bad ass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I am curious about this as well. I met with a developer last week to discuss his projects. They are moving forward with a couple of builds in the area.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Any luck getting this project going?

Looks like it's gonna be beautiful.

We finally received the design review committee approval two weeks ago and are resubmitting to the city for final plan check. We should have a building permit in hand the next couple of weeks.

Our next hurdle is trying to get sub's to turn in bids to our general contractor. I think once I have a permit in hand, it will be easier for our general to get bids as the subs will know the job is starting.

On a side note, for some unknown reason the largest masonry contractor in Havasu is refusing to work in the Riviera. This will cause a major delay in people getting their house's under construction.

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
We finally received the design review committee approval two weeks ago and are resubmitting to the city for final plan check. We should have a building permit in hand the next couple of weeks.

Our next hurdle is trying to get sub's to turn in bids to our general contractor. I think once I have a permit in hand, it will be easier for our general to get bids as the subs will know the job is starting.

On a side note, for some unknown reason the largest masonry contractor in Havasu is refusing to work in the Riviera. This will cause a major delay in people getting their house's under construction.
Masonry and more? If so that dude is holding up everything in my back yard.👎🏽

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Don’t put names out but yes be careful they will announce it in new year. Who’s your general

Done-it-again

Reaction score
If needing block pretty sure my cousin can get you product...... They own/operate the block factory out in Kingman.

Worth a try. Just gets pricier and longer lead time if special colors are needed.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
If needing block pretty sure my cousin can get you product...... They own/operate the block factory out in Kingman.

Worth a try. Just gets pricier and longer lead time if special colors are needed.

Thanks for the offer. No special block for my house, all my block is stone veneered or stuccoed.

TrojanDan

Reaction score

Mohave Block Company?

TrojanDan

Reaction score
:mad: Ordered my caps for my block wall from them via HUB back in November. Received them last month after many calls to Brian and the other guy that I guess owns the place. Even drove out to see what the F*ck was going on with my caps. Couldn't finish my walls and install my fencing on top until they were made and delivered. They are having serious production issues. Yes it was custom split faced buff/sandstone color but 7 months was a little ridiculous.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
:mad: Ordered my caps for my block wall from them via HUB back in November. Received them last month after many calls to Brian and the other guy that I guess owns the place. Even drove out to see what the F*ck was going on with my caps. Couldn't finish my walls and install my fencing on top until they were made and delivered. They are having serious production issues. Yes it was custom split faced buff/sandstone color but 7 months was a little ridiculous.

sorry to hear that. I know they have been slammed for about 2yrs now and can’t keep block on hand. Selling 30-50k block pieces every couple of days.

it’s taken over a year for them to get the new block mold machine in places due to Kingman dicking around with permits for the new section.

With the additional machine it will make the normal stock block continually and keep the other machine for custom block and colors.

crazy what covid has done to lot of different industries.