WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu to Parker….. How?

GNEnsrud

Reaction score
We’re going to be in Havasu for 2 weeks leading up to Independence day this year, staying in the State Park. Will be our first visit to the area. As I research and learn more, I realize we would really love to explore the lower River and the Parker area in the boat while we’re there, but the only tow vehicle we’ll have is the MoHo, which we won’t want to break down.

Seems the obvious solution is to rent a small truck or SUV to tow around the dam. This has got to be a common issue….. Is there another solution? Lay some RDP insight on me.

-GNE

NicPaus

Reaction score
I forget Dave's neighbors name. He is a very proud Ford owner. He launches and retrieves. Pay him. Or Uhaul.

Edit I think Jarod butters or similar.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Truck rental is a great idea and many have used that option. 👍 You could always try the RDP Express post route. Never know might find someone willing to help. 🤪 🤪 🤪 🤪 I might consider depending on what kind of boat you got. LOL

GNEnsrud

Reaction score
Boat is an older Ski Centurion Barefoot Warrior on a single axle trailer. Total package less than 2500 lbs. literally anything could tow it.

Last edited:

Jakeleft

Reaction score
Uhaul is super easy and cheap for one of their 1500's, I know a couple members that use them to launch and retrieve when they drive out their non towing cars.

cofooter

Reaction score
If you can get it down to Parker Dirty Deeds can launch it for, at least the used to.....

DLC

Reaction score
Ok….

you only gave us 1/2 the info ….

where are you coming from
and where are are you going…

specific dates would BE helpful…..

Say leaving bal bla June 20 - 2 weeks before July 4th
want to stay
July 4 - 8 at Crazy horse then head back home

really hard to say I’ll be here and there…. with out actual dates ….

you don’t want to be anywhere on the 4th of july. That is the most popular day of the year !

GNEnsrud

Reaction score
W
Ok….

you only gave us 1/2 the info ….

where are you coming from
and where are are you going…

specific dates would BE helpful…..

Say leaving bal bla June 20 - 2 weeks before July 4th
want to stay
July 4 - 8 at Crazy horse then head back home

really hard to say I’ll be here and there…. with out actual dates ….

you don’t want to be anywhere on the 4th of july. That is the most popular day of the year !
We’re staying @ Havasu State Park June 25 - July 5. We like the party scene, so the crazy on 4th of July is part of the draw for us. Or at least we’ll fuck around and find out.
Comimg from Tacoma WA…. Going to Havasu. Hoping to take in as much of the upper and lower river areas as we can. 6/26 & leading up to the 7/4 zoo is when we’ll be looking to explore & have fun.

Havasu Rehab

Reaction score
Uhaul is super easy and cheap for one of their 1500's, I know a couple members that use them to launch and retrieve when they drive out their non towing cars.

I did this last summer. I believe the cost was about $70 for the rental. I figure I broke even with gas savings and wear + tear.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Perfect time and place. Right where we launch from. If I am in town I’d be happy to help if I am able and you’d want my help. I am always looking for excusses to be on the water. The holiday crazy does not bother just yet. Still fun for me to watch shitsow as the day goes by. 👍

GNEnsrud

Reaction score
Sounds like as I thought, just renting a tow vehicle is the best bet.
Maybe by the time we get to late June, we have plans for a few beers with RDP inmates set up.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Sounds like as I thought, just renting a tow vehicle is the best bet.
Maybe by the time we get to late June, we have plans for a few beers with RDP inmates set up.
Sounds like a plan. Just post up a couple of weeks before you get to town and we can meet up. 👍

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We’re going to be in Havasu for 2 weeks leading up to Independence day this year, staying in the State Park. Will be our first visit to the area. As I research and learn more, I realize we would really love to explore the lower River and the Parker area in the boat while we’re there, but the only tow vehicle we’ll have is the MoHo, which we won’t want to break down.

Seems the obvious solution is to rent a small truck or SUV to tow around the dam. This has got to be a common issue….. Is there another solution? Lay some RDP insight on me.

-GNE

Parker should be fine, but I don't think I'd go lower river unless you are real familiar or have someone with you that is familiar with it.

RD

GNEnsrud

Reaction score
Parker should be fine, but I don't think I'd go lower river unless you are real familiar or have someone with you that is familiar with it.

RD
What’s the marker for where the “lower river” begins?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What’s the marker for where the “lower river” begins?

Being a Parker guy for us it was always the other side of the head gate dam.. I'm sure some of the actual lower river guys might disagree though. LOL

Even Parker this time of year can be shallow. If you don't know how to read water or know your way around ya better be careful AF.

RD

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Lower River definitely begins at Headgate Dam and continues all the way down to Yuma.

I know most every inch of the river from Headgate to Palos Verde’s damn and wouldn’t bat an eye at running your Centurion on the lower side… if it was mine.

Not being my boat I’d suggest you find someone that knows the lower. It’s some of the best water ski water in the west but as @RiverDave said I’d suggest you have someone that knows the area to boat with.

You’ll have a great time no matter what you do. Parker, that time of year, is a blast as is HavaZoo.

EarpRider

Reaction score
Being a Parker guy for us it was always the other side of the head gate dam.. I'm sure some of the actual lower river guys might disagree though. LOL

Even Parker this time of year can be shallow. If you don't know how to read water or know your way around ya better be careful AF.

RD
Sadly "this time of year" has become Monday to late Thursday year round.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Lower River definitely begins at Headgate Dam and continues all the way down to Yuma.

I know most every inch of the river from Headgate to Palos Verde’s damn and wouldn’t bat an eye at running your Centurion on the lower side… if it was mine.

Not being my boat I’d suggest you find someone that knows the lower. It’s some of the best water ski water in the west but as @RiverDave said I’d suggest you have someone that knows the area to boat with.

You’ll have a great time no matter what you do. Parker, that time of year, is a blast as is HavaZoo.

I agree, Id run a ski boat down here and not think twice. Ive had plenty of time to explore on a standup or in the jet boat to know it well. Although I started in my flatbottom and followed people a lot! I never destroyed a prop, but did nick one once lol

Hopefully Ill be on the water again this summer and we will see everyone out there

GNEnsrud

Reaction score
Probably going to need a bigger boat for Havasu on the 4th. Good luck.
Yeah…. We figure on the 4th we’ll be relegated to the London Bridge Canal area. Most likely just pull up and watch the shit-show. In The days and weeks leading up to the holiday however, we’ll hopefully be up & down the river and perhaps around to the Parker Strip area.

quickly checked out the location of the head-gate dam.. that’s right in the Parker area, correct? Must not be an actual dam ? On a map it looks like you can boat right past it (???)

Sorry for all the newbie questions, finding that the area seems appealing to me.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Yeah…. We figure on the 4th we’ll be relegated to the London Bridge Canal area. Most likely just pull up and watch the shit-show. In The days and weeks leading up to the holiday however, we’ll hopefully be up & down the river and perhaps around to the Parker Strip area.

quickly checked out the location of the head-gate dam.. that’s right in the Parker area, correct? Must not be an actual dam ? On a map it looks like you can boat right past it (???)

Sorry for all the newbie questions, finding that the area seems appealing to me.

It’s a legit dam just built in a way to send water to the farmers via the canal or down stream to the lower Colorado. You can’t boat around it.

If you decide to boat the lower your best bet is to launch at Big River. The Parker strip is only 12 miles or so between Headgate and Parker Dam.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
The red circle is the dam….

IMG_1770.jpeg
IMG_1771.jpeg

IMG_1772.jpeg

GNEnsrud

Reaction score
What about heading North out of Havasu. Can you get all the way to Bullhead & Laughlin? Is there anything to see, fun to be had up that way past Topock & Pirates Cove?

I’m mostly going to be in for party-spots and fun bars to get a taste for.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
What about heading North out of Havasu. Can you get all the way to Bullhead & Laughlin? Is there anything to see, fun to be had up that way past Topock & Pirates Cove?

I’m mostly going to be in for party-spots and fun bars to get a taste for.

Yes you can get to Bullhead but you’ll want to know the water north of Needles to navigate it. It’s not bad but it does get shallow in places like the lower river side does.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Many say that past the bridge in Needles takes a bit of knowledge.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Many say that past the bridge in Needles takes a bit of knowledge.

"They" would be correct.

Just stick to Parker between Headgate and Foxes and you'll be fine on your own.

North of Foxes, you'll want to have someone with you that knows the river.

You're pretty safe on Lake Havasu without any guidance, other than right where the intake tubes are. Stay away from those when you see em. There is a BIG rock just under the surface.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
"They" would be correct.

You're pretty safe on Lake Havasu without any guidance, other than right where the intake tubes are. Stay away from those when you see em. There is a BIG rock just under the surface.
I didn’t know about a rock near the intake tubes. There is also a bit of knowledge needed going from the lake into the river up to Topock or Pirates Cove. I have seen people searching for the right line when heading up. I also had our son thinking that he knew the line only to have to circle around take a second run at it. Also be aware that in the area there sometimes can be a bit of floating debris that you need to watch out for.

IMG_1776.jpeg

wzuber

Reaction score
What's Andrews river obstacle app called? Maybe that could be helpful to them while they navigate?

hallett21

Reaction score
"They" would be correct.

We ski by them all the time? Where’s this rock lol?

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
When you get to Havasu and you're looking to go out and party you can always give me a call. I pretty much know what places are popping off most of the time.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1701747316141.jpg
    FB_IMG_1701747316141.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 10