WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RV Roof re-seal?

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
So I found a mobile RV guy that does rv roof repair and detailing. His price is $375 material and labor. Which includes scraping off old caulking, pressure washing, priming and recoating. Also included is minor patching if needed. Told him my brother needs his rv done as well and he knocked the price down to $350. Getting it done this Saturday..... I will report back! His price is way cheaper than anyone I contacted. Even includes a free exterior wash and tire armorall!

...What is he recoating with???...

RVRKID

Reaction score
Hi kid, do they work on satalite tv? I recently bought a 2010 one owner and its in really good shap. The only problem is I added the original owners dish box to my sccount and it's on but the satellite Keeps tracking but never picks up anything. I hed the dish rv tech walk us through it and he said it was the satellite. It's 5year old technology and probably should be replaced. Can't remember the name of it (3 letters) but I noticed the carry wingard . I was thinking about taking it to camp world but maybe this is a better option.
thanks,
Bill

Could it be one of the KVH's? I think it would be worth a call, they should be able to trouble shoot it for you in your own drive way instead of having to drop it off and pick it up at Camping World.

JJK94

Reaction score
So I found a mobile RV guy that does rv roof repair and detailing. His price is $375 material and labor. Which includes scraping off old caulking, pressure washing, priming and recoating. Also included is minor patching if needed. Told him my brother needs his rv done as well and he knocked the price down to $350. Getting it done this Saturday..... I will report back! His price is way cheaper than anyone I contacted. Even includes a free exterior wash and tire armorall!

Is this Jim from West Hills? I need it also

purrfecttremor

Reaction score
Could it be one of the KVH's? I think it would be worth a call, they should be able to trouble shoot it for you in your own drive way instead of having to drop it off and pick it up at Camping World.

Yes it is a HVH. Thanks I'll give them a call.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Im gonna give the guy a shot Saturday as well. I have him do my brothers first in the morning...and it if looks good i'll let him do mine :D

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
He said he lives off the 210 somewhere, so id imagine he would do riverside. Ill ask him saturday

I am off the 210 in Rancho, if you are happy with his work, mine is next.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I am off the 210 in Rancho, if you are happy with his work, mine is next.

I'll let you know. This guy may get a shit load of business from RDP members, I better tell him to do an exceptional job on mine!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
On our river trailer we got this two step / 4 coat process.
2 primer coats then 2 rubber coats.
3 years ago and it's holding strong.

Did it myself, easy.
Just roll it on.
The primer is blue and the top coat is white so you know that you're covering it all and not missing spots.
Even better if you do 3 primer and 3 rubber coats goes the tale, but 2 each will do it.
Just rolled it on like pudding.

I'm at the dunes now and can't get the names of the product but it's fantastic.
Got it from Simi RV, they know what it is, they recommended it and it really bites the old roof hangs on and works.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
On our river trailer we got this two step / 4 coat process.
2 primer coats then 2 rubber coats.
3 years ago and it's holding strong.

Did it myself, easy.
Just roll it on.
The primer is blue and the top coat is white so you know that you're covering it all and not missing spots.
Even better if you do 3 primer and 3 rubber coats goes the tale, but 2 each will do it.
Just rolled it on like pudding.

I'm at the dunes now and can't get the names of the product but it's fantastic.
Got it from Simi RV, they know what it is, they recommended it and it really bites the old roof hangs on and works.

Simi RV is where I bought my toy hauler. Their the ones who quoted me $1500 - $2000 to re coat with primer and caulking! I'd do it myself, but I seriously fear I will fall throught the flimsy roof! For $350 I'll try this guy out and see how long it lasts. I plan on upgrading my rv in a few years anways!!!

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
If a few of us want home to do our RV's maybe we can all meet somewhere and have do them all in one place.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... Don't understand why no one is going with Gaco which supposedly lasts for 50 years???...

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
... Don't understand why no one is going with Gaco which supposedly lasts for 50 years???...

Im not sure what product he is useing. Ill be nosey and snap some photos on saturday while hes working on it

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Russ also quoted me $250 for a complete exterior detail, including cutt and buff of fiberglass sides with a high speed polisher. Thats pretty cheap! I buffed mine by hand and it took me almost 30 hours to do it. Id gladly pay $250 !

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Im digging the RV out tonight, we'll see how it goes tomorrow.
This could go from a recommendation thread to a call out thread - Then again, i'd have to call myself out on being a cheap ass because what do you expect for $375?

Stay tuned to see what $375 gets ya.....

CoronaChris

Reaction score
yanez rv in hemet ca does them. spray on liner type material with uv stable top coat. not sure of price but im sure around 2-3k and done right. direct 951-526-9089

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I'm definatly not spending 2-3k on a 10k trailer.... I'm going the cheap route!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
The RV's are in position....
Operation $375 commencing @ 0700 hours.

BigBHova and me are driveway camping in Van Nuys
Does this qualify as redneck?

uploadfromtaptalk1446264755653.jpg

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Not sure if my neighbors appreciate the pressure washer revving its balls off at 7am.... Oh well!!!

You can see the difference between my roof wish is about 10 years old and my brothers roof which is about 16 years old. Both have never been maintained. Never be re caulked or patched.

20151031_070958.jpg

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Done! Russ is R&M very nice and knowledgeable. They pressure wash and scrub both roofs with some special roof washing chemical, painted flexi seal around all vents and joints as well as where the rubber roof meets the fiberglass cap. Then he takes 4 inch roll of rubber roof adhesive patch and goes over the areas where the roof meets the fiberglass cap and sticks it down and puts more flexi seal over it. Once thats all done he does 1 thick coat of roof sealer. Then washes your RV, armoralls tires and any black plastic. He even acid washed my chrome wheels and got most of the rust off of them. $375 or in our case $350 because we had two done at once.

I'm happy! Russ recommends that you have it recoated in about 4-5 years. If your looking for a guy to put 2 or 3 coats on your roof then you want to go with someone more expensive. For $375 if it lasts 5 years thats under 100 bucks a year to keep your rv roof in good shape. Thats fine with me! There was 3 guys working for about 3.5 hours on 2 RVs

Call Russ if your interested in a rv roof repair or detailing. Tell him Brian sent you so he will give me a good deal on a cut / buff for my trailer!:thumbup:

20151031_070958.jpg 20151031_090352.jpg 20151031_101007.jpg 20151031_101017.jpg 20151031_110618.jpg

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Man, you guys are some lazy SOB's. This is the first year I didn't get on top of my 27' TT, my 12 YO son did. Start off with cleaning the rubber roof with this -
http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Th...er-Camper-RV?gclid=COWvl8TZ7sgCFU1hfgod55IL9w

I'm old and fat and still do this. My 12 YO wanted to earn some extra cash this year so I set him up to do this. 1 hour with a soft scrub brush, gallon bucket of solution, garden hose and it looks like new. I caulked the shit out of the joints on the roof when I bought the TT 10 years ago and there still sealed.

I've replaced a rubber roof once on a TT, that isn't an easy job, especially if you have cheap aluminum siding. I wouldn't trust an RV shop or lowest bidder to do this. There are so many joints that really need to be addressed properly as well as slope issues that lets water settle at joints that will net get addressed by the lowest bidder.

You guys really need to get off your ass and get on your roofs to look at what is going on. Once your up there, take care of business then clean and condition that rubber roof. If you do that yearly it wont leak.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Man, you guys are some lazy SOB's. This is the first year I didn't get on top of my 27' TT, my 12 YO son did. Start off with cleaning the rubber roof with this -
http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Th...er-Camper-RV?gclid=COWvl8TZ7sgCFU1hfgod55IL9w

I'm old and fat and still do this. My 12 YO wanted to earn some extra cash this year so I set him up to do this. 1 hour with a soft scrub brush, gallon bucket of solution, garden hose and it looks like new. I caulked the shit out of the joints on the roof when I bought the TT 10 years ago and there still sealed.

I've replaced a rubber roof once on a TT, that isn't an easy job, especially if you have cheap aluminum siding. I wouldn't trust an RV shop or lowest bidder to do this. There are so many joints that really need to be addressed properly as well as slope issues that lets water settle at joints that will net get addressed by the lowest bidder.

You guys really need to get off your ass and get on your roofs to look at what is going on. Once your up there, take care of business then clean and condition that rubber roof. If you do that yearly it wont leak.

I don't know about your RV, but my toy hauler is one of those cheapie "Ultra light" ones. The guy doing the roof was almost 100lbs lighter than I was and he was afraid of falling through it. He was steppin only on the beams and they would still flex like 3 inches down and make cracking noises. I'd totally do it myself if it wasn't for this factor. I will assure you, he caulked the shit out of every vent, front and back seam, etc. The self adhesive tape was also applyed over every joing and roof penetration, then re sealed over it, which is above and beyond just caulking it.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

I pick and choose what I wanna do myself, theres only 24 hours in a day and i spend 12 of them at work

I build my own engines, do my own home renovations, service and repair my own vehicles, detail my own boat...etc etc etc

Things I choose not to fuck with -
Gardening
Cooking
Bee hive removal
Rv roof repair
Plumbing

NicPaus

Reaction score
Did you see what product he used? I recoated my mobile with white elastomeric coating from Black Jack. Used the $70 5 gallon bucket. Had a few issues in the low points and after talking to sales rep from Black Jack and Henry's The best stuff to use is silicone based product they both carry instead of water based. The silicone base is $250 a 5 gallon.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... The reason I didn't cheap out on my fifth wheel and used Gaco flex is because I never want to have to do it again I have no intentions of selling the fifth wheel and I want to have peace of mind when I go up there in 15 years To inspect...wait a minute that would make me 85 ,...Don't think I'll be going up there in 15 years???

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
This is what he used. It was 2 gallons per rv. Cheapest pruce I found was amazon $60 a gallon plus shipping.
20151101_084823.jpg

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Did you see what product he used? I recoated my mobile with white elastomeric coating from Black Jack. Used the $70 5 gallon bucket. Had a few issues in the low points and after talking to sales rep from Black Jack and Henry's The best stuff to use is silicone based product they both carry instead of water based. The silicone base is $250 a 5 gallon.

I read the opposite... that you dont want to use a silicone based product because it doesn't stick well with a EPDM rubber roof. But I'm not a roofer!

NicPaus

Reaction score
I read the opposite... that you dont want to use a silicone based product because it doesn't stick well with a EPDM rubber roof. But I'm not a roofer!

That makes sense my mobile has a foam base. It has a few low points where water can puddle and the water based product I used is starting to peel up in those areas from the standing water after 2 years. Warranty on bucket says 10 year. The silicone based does not break down from the standing water.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
That makes sense my mobile has a foam base. It has a few low points where water can puddle and the water based product I used is starting to peel up in those areas from the standing water after 2 years. Warranty on bucket says 10 year. The silicone based does not break down from the standing water.

Can you fill in those low points with a few layers of adhesive rubber roof patch and then seal over it to avoid puddling water?

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score

...This is why with Gaco you must use their primer which I believe is epoxy based primer,...no primer no sticky...

NicPaus

Reaction score
Can you fill in those low points with a few layers of adhesive rubber roof patch and then seal over it to avoid puddling water?

Possibly. The sales rep gave me a free sample of the silicone base to try in low points. It is about a 1 inch low area which is not bad but with water based product any pooling is a issue. I went cheap $70 thinking that is great if it lasts 5 of the 10 years. My neighbors have been there for 25 years and pay every 5 for a re-coat $6-800 depending on how many neighbors schedule same time. Not sure if they use the silicone based or not.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Im sure it will.... I plan up upgrading my RV in a few years so maybe I'll splurge next time!

...I wish I could remember how much I'm into materials for this,...I did the labor myself,...I wouldn't even know where to look for the receipts???...

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
...I wish I could remember how much I'm into materials for this,...I did the labor myself,...I wouldn't even know where to look for the receipts???...

CRS. I would start to look where you keep your receipts. :)

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Next step is replacing my torn awning.... got a quote for $400 bucks for new dometic awening installed. I watched a video on how to do it. Doesnt look to hard... anyone here done this?

RVRKID

Reaction score
Next step is replacing my torn awning.... got a quote for $400 bucks for new dometic awening installed. I watched a video on how to do it. Doesnt look to hard... anyone here done this?

Very easy to do, I helped my neighbor do his. You might try calling Walts they might have them too.

gqchris

Reaction score

I have done one, be careful of the spring, it can be a bitch to deal with.