WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Snake Season

PlanB

Reaction score
This guy was trying come into my house this morning. We use a screen with magnets on our back door so the dogs can use it.

The wife screamed for me that a snake was at the screen and shut the door. I went around the house with a 12 gauge with some #8 shot and found him at the door.

He was not happy with me being there and I had to get him away from the house before I could shoot him.

I feel bad but you come in my yard you die. Healthy looking snake. He has been eating well.

Watch out if you have snakes around. This warm weather is bringing them out.
IMG_7290.jpeg

2Driver

Reaction score
He’s pretty big.

They are out in Cave Creek area big time.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Saw this little guy on the trail around the island in the evening last week. First one I’ve ever seen in havasu. Also, not sure anything was gained by snake training our dog. He never even noticed it.
IMG_8080.jpeg
IMG_8081.jpeg

PlanB

Reaction score
Saw this little guy on the trail around the island in the evening last week. First one I’ve ever seen in havasu. Also, not sure anything was gained by snake training our dog. He never even noticed it. View attachment 1360623 View attachment 1360624
We had a big Diamondback it one of our coves years ago. We found another cove to hang out in that day. That was the only rattlesnake I have seen out there fortunately.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
This guy was trying come into my house this morning. We use a screen with magnets on our back door so the dogs can use it.

The wife screamed for me that a snake was at the screen and shut the door. I went around the house with a 12 gauge with some #8 shot and found him at the door.

He was not happy with me being there and I had to get him away from the house before I could shoot him.

I feel bad but you come in my yard you die. Healthy looking snake. He has been eating well.

Watch out if you have snakes around. This warm weather is bringing them out. View attachment 1360618
What time will the Chili be ready? 😎

Gelcoater

Reaction score
We had a big Diamondback it one of our coves years ago. We found another cove to hang out in that day. That was the only rattlesnake I have seen out there fortunately.
When I was a kid it seemed every other time we camped in a cove we had a snake.
My dad was the not kill it type. Would bag it and the snake! not us would have a different cove for the weekend😂

Best trip was the one where dad was wrangling in a Mohave Green, and another gal in camp screamed saying “there’s another one!😳

A king Snake😎

He heard the rattle and presumed it was meal time.
They both got their own coves that weekend😂😂

PlanB

Reaction score
When I was a kid it seemed every other time we camped in a cove we had a snake.
My dad was the not kill it type. Would bag it and the snake! not us would have a different cove for the weekend😂

Best trip was the one where dad was wrangling in a Mohave Green, and another gal in camp screamed saying “there’s another one!😳

A king Snake😎

He heard the rattle and presumed it was meal time.
They both got their own coves that weekend😂😂
The Mohave Greens are scary. From what I have read, they have about a 90% chance of killing a dog. A lot more lethal.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I hate the rattlesnakes around here as well as the damn mountain lions. 9 pellets of 00 buckshot works on both, the yotes get the 25'06

Last edited:

NicPaus

Reaction score
My Sister almost got bit at Upper sandbar in Parker MLK weekend. Was surprised they were already out. I tried to kill it with a log but it got away in the reeds.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
The Mohave Greens are scary. From what I have read, they have about a 90% chance of killing a dog. A lot more lethal.
My dad was fairly keen on snakes.
From his experience most rattlers will strike once, maybe twice and are looking for an exit strategy.

The greens. They will not only keep striking, they will shift from defense to offensive advance. Mean lil bastards.

He was sorta surprised, me at 10 years old asking him why the hell he didn’t just kill the fuckin snake😂
I was a bit excited😇
We had a .38 loaded with snake shot for crying out loud.

He said he had killed enough to last him a life time. Not going to kill a snake because we chose his living room to camp in this weekend.
Went on to say when he was in Vietnam there was a snake called a 3 Step among others. And went into that a little. More than he normally ever spoke of that era.

Told him of he’s ever not in camp and one comes in, I’m shooting that son of a bitch.

All he said was be aware of your backdrop, son.

4Waters

Reaction score
My dad was fairly keen on snakes.
From his experience most rattlers will strike once, maybe twice and are looking for an exit strategy.

The greens. They will not only keep striking, they will shift from defense to offensive advance. Mean lil bastards.

He was sorta surprised, me at 10 years old asking him why the hell he didn’t just kill the fuckin snake😂
I was a bit excited😇
We had a .38 loaded with snake shot for crying out loud.

He said he had killed enough to last him a life time. Not going to kill a snake because we chose his living room to camp in this weekend.
Went on to say when he was in Vietnam there was a snake called a 3 Step among others. And went into that a little. More than he normally ever spoke of that era.

Told him of he’s ever not in camp and one comes in, I’m shooting that son of a bitch.

All he said was be aware of your backdrop, son.
After it bites you you take 3 steps and die

Taboma

Reaction score

Watch out if you have snakes around. This warm weather is bringing them out. View attachment 1360618
Damn, that's a biggun right there :oops: A couple of years ago I bought some snake tongs, and haven't seen a rattler since. I sure as hell wouldn't practice on that big bastard. 👎

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
NOPE! I’m starting to see posts of snakes around us as well. Not looking forward to summer.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score

Snakes like (most) Rattlers, Copperheads, Fer-de-lance, etc. have hemotoxic venom that attacks the tissue of its victim. Essentially liquefying the innards to make it easier to digest.

Snakes like Cobras, Coral Snakes, Black Mamba, etc. have venom that is a neurotoxin, attacking the nervous system, paralyzing the victim.

Mohave Green Rattlesnakes' venom contain BOTH neuro- and hemo- toxic properties.

Taboma

Reaction score
I hate the rattlesnakes around here as well as the damn mountain lions. 9 pellets of 00 buckshot works on both, the yotes get the 25'06
Hell my local yotes are my clean up crew when I leave them dead ground squirrels, gophers, rats, mice, and headless rattlers. Whatever I toss out back of my grove, is gone by morning light. Yotes don't bother me, it's the damned deer eating my wife's roses that bothers us most.
Used to have a ground squirrel problem, undermining my paver patios, well after dispatching over 30 of them in the past year, I got the big grey back granddaddy this morning, and that problem is for the time being, now solved.

500bbc

Reaction score

They were here first, we are the invaders, we must learn to coexist...

OkHallett270

Reaction score
When I was a kid my redneck dad used to hunt for eastern diamondbacks here in eastern Oklahoma. Here’s one he caught local to where I grew up. I was in kindergarten. You can see me drinking a can of Pepsi in the background in the second pic. This was circa 1988 or 89. My dad isn’t that tall but that snake fully stretched out was around 5’5” we were going to cook it for dinner but as you can see in the pics dad and his buddies got to drinking and messing with the snake in the yard. The snake bit itself in the commotion and it died from its own poison. Well it didn’t die die, it was just super slow moving and lethargic to the point you’d think it was dead. We decided not to cook it after it poisoned itself. This is the kinda stuff we do for fun in Oklahoma. 😂
0769731D-1ED3-4030-BB4F-C4B318A2C981.jpeg
1D687B63-E0A3-4F3D-B44C-3B15673FA317.jpeg

playdeep

Reaction score
Here's the thing most people don't realize...
In the heat of the day rattlesnakes will take refuge in the shade.
I hike&trail run daily in the mountains near my house.
When I stop to grab water or rest...I NEVER do it near shade/large rocks with crevices.
...learned my lesson after seeing this guy laying in wait.
IMG_2875.jpg

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Snakes like (most) Rattlers, Copperheads, Fer-de-lance, etc. have hemotoxic venom that attacks the tissue of its victim. Essentially liquefying the innards to make it easier to digest.

Snakes like Cobras, Coral Snakes, Black Mamba, etc. have venom that is a neurotoxin, attacking the nervous system, paralyzing the victim.

Mohave Green Rattlesnakes' venom contain BOTH neuro- and hemo- toxic properties.
Mohave greens are bastards!!

They have been known to chase you. Problem is that the antivenom used out here (crofab) doesn't work for neurotoxins

jperog

Reaction score
Smith and Wesson Governor or Taurus Judge. They both hold 410 rounds and the Taurus holds 3" shells. They are great snake training tool-teaches them to play dead.

Joe

zhandfull

Reaction score
Wife thinks we are going to have them in havasu. Keep telling her unlikely. Walking around the block the other day and she practically stepped on a dead one in the roadway. So much for me calming her down on the snakes. lol

riverroyal

Reaction score
New home in valley center. It's time to get ready...not looking forward to it.
Shot gun with ??? What a good shell?

FCT

Reaction score
I hate snakes. I was mowing my farm all day last Friday and kept waiting to see some, but I never saw any. They would’ve looked great flying out of my brushcutter 🤣

Taboma

Reaction score
New home in valley center. It's time to get ready...not looking forward to it.
Shot gun with ??? What a good shell?
A shotgun is cumbersome and certainly unnecessary. A .38 with shotshells will easily suffice. Up here by Lake Hodges, I use a cheap .22 Rough Rider 6" with shotshells (Birdshot). It might take two rounds on a larger one, but I like the "Pop" vs a "Bang" as we're not as rural as you might be in Valley Center. The holster is also convenient allowing my hands to be free to carry the head whacker shovel. The head gets dropped down a fence post. Long after I'm dead, somebody's going to pull that fence post and holy shit will they be rewarded with a surprise and WTF moment. 🤔

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Tastes like chicken!
We skin them (and gut in the process), cut 'em up into 1" sections, dip in an egg wash, roll them in a seasoned breadcrumb mixture, then fry in 325F oil. Stick them with toothpicks and serve on a platter with something like a Buffalo wing sauce. Was taught this by the scoutmaster +50 years ago and it still works today. :D

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
He’s pretty big.

They are out in Cave Creek area big time.
Havent seen any out here yet but know they are here...somewhere. Lol. No more walking thru weeds for Phx.

I did have that Mohave that came out sunning itself a couple of Januarys ago. Put an end to that one.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
We skin them (and gut in the process), cut 'em up into 1" sections, dip in an egg wash, roll them in a seasoned breadcrumb mixture, then fry in 325F oil. Stick them with toothpicks and serve on a platter with something like a Buffalo wing sauce. Was taught this by the scoutmaster +50 years ago and it still works today. :D
Only way I am eating rattlesnake would be if my life depended on that food source. Creeps me out