WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tell me what you know and think about the Hallett 255

Boschma

Wish I was at the River
Reaction score
They seem like a very nice size boat. Not too big not too small.
I've read that they are the same bottom as the old 240.

Is it true that they tend to want to roll over when driving through a wake while passing boats? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.

thanks for the thoughts and opinions:thumbsup

prosthogod

Reaction score

Is it true that they tend to want to roll over when driving through a wake while passing boats? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.

Do you mean "roll over" like when DCBs roll over?:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Never heard of a 240 or a 255 rolling over.. It would be pretty damn hard to do they are very forgiving boats to drive

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Never heard of a 240 or a 255 rolling over.. It would be pretty damn hard to do they are very forgiving boats to drive

Wasn't there a step hull that was funky and got a bad wrap? Maybe a 26 footer?

I think the 255 is a 240 with a built in swim step. Check out the closed bow with the 600 in it in the gel section.

Sexy boat would love to hear how it ran.

hallett21

Reaction score
Wasn't there a step hull that was funky and got a bad wrap? Maybe a 26 footer?

I think the 255 is a 240 with a built in swim step. Check out the closed bow with the 600 in it in the gel section.

Sexy boat would love to hear how it ran.

I think it was the 245 and 250

tkrrox

Reaction score
I love my 240. It's my couch. Not going to be fastest hull but huge and comfortable on the inside. The 255 is alike but I don't like the euro style windshield on the walkthrough as much as the looks of the 240. The mid cab is nice but I hated weaseling thru my brothers 270 so opted for walkthrough

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I crawled around one at Hallett a few months back. Like anything that comes out of Hallett, the boat's quality is first class. Not my favorite v-bottom in the appearance category (windshields), but it is a beautiful, well built and functional boat. My favorite feature on the boat was the little ice chest built into the swim step. Perfect for hanging at the sandbar or on a beach (don't have to keep climbing in/out the boat for a drink).

PVHCA

Reaction score
I'm about 99% positive it was the 1st generation 255 that had the leaning problem. A neighbor in my old river park had this issue and Hallett told him sorry just dump it.

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Been in several variations of the 255 over the last 10+ years in all types of weather/water conditions... All rode solid!

Hallett built around 10 of the 245 (1998-2000) before coming out with the 255 in 2001. They were only available in a Mid-Cabin Open Bow setup, whereas the 240 and 250, built at the same time, were available in either Closed Bow or Open Bow. The height of the hull sides on the 245 are significantly taller than the 240 or 255, and the entry is much sharper at the bow. While the Hallett Brass would never confirm this, I always suspected that the 245 was a shortened 270. Had it been a 240 I believe that the integral swim platform would be much lower to the water, like that of the 255. Never been in a 245 but, the word is the boat has horrible sea-characteristics & poor handling.

The 250 Stepped-Bottom (1997-2001), I've heard was a copy of an Eliminator 250 Eagle with a different deck. Never been in one either, but if it is true that it's an Eliminator copy then it "shouldn't" ride any better or worse than its Eliminator counterpart.

Hallett took the top off the 245 and the bottom off the 240 to make the 255.

I bring up the 245 & 250 because sellers try to miss lead the uninformed.

oldschool

Reaction score
What was the first year of the 255?
nevermind

skav

Reaction score
The mid cab is nice but I hated weaseling thru my brothers 270 so opted for walkthrough

Another bonus of you buying the walk through is that your kids always want to ride in your brothers 270 because of the mid cabin;)

...Or it could just be that they want to hang with the cool uncle.

...Or that the cool uncle doesn't play country!

LOL

tkrrox

Reaction score
Another bonus of you buying the walk through is that your kids always want to ride in your brothers 270 because of the mid cabin;)

...Or it could just be that they want to hang with the cool uncle.

...Or that the cool uncle doesn't play country!

LOL

Haha! I've heard you iPod music. It's definitely not the music!!!

85RiverRAT

Working my way up!
Reaction score
I'm all for the 255 open bow. I have seen windscreens cut flatter across the front on the walk thru so its less "alligator eyes", squared up more like the 240. The only thing I don't care for is that the swim step is pretty high above the water line. You need a tall boarding ladder to crawl out of the water. There is so much freeboard built into the boat that belt line is really high and the step ends up well above the water line. In the water it doesn't look as low profile as other boats, IE> Howard Bullet. But the extra freeboard is good problem to have in a boat, it can handle big water. Our 240 is always dry in the sloppy stuff.

I want to buy one some day. When we are ready to send the 240 onto the next life.

parker guy

Reaction score
I love the 255, 2005 and up. The biggest problem is finding a used one. I have been looking for 3-4 months. Can't find a open bowl 255 anywhere. Really nice boat...

Boschma

Wish I was at the River
Reaction score
Any ideas of power and speed combos?
Ex: 496= --mph?

tkrrox

Reaction score
I would say slower then that..

i'm with the boss on this one...i'm in the low 600hp on my 240 and i run low 70's with full gas and 4-6 on boat. but i haven't done any real prop testing.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

mine with the wrong prop did that...bow steer is what it did....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
heres with th right prop and bimini top up

[video=youtube;VAv8-_eF6FU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAv8-_eF6FU[/video]

Boschma

Wish I was at the River
Reaction score
heres with th right prop and bimini top up

[video=youtube;VAv8-_eF6FU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAv8-_eF6FU[/video]

Was this a 240 or 255? What did it have for power? What prop were you using?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Been in several variations of the 255 over the last 10+ years in all types of weather/water conditions... All rode solid!

Hallett built around 10 of the 245 (1998-2000) before coming out with the 255 in 2001. They were only available in a Mid-Cabin Open Bow setup, whereas the 240 and 250, built at the same time, were available in either Closed Bow or Open Bow. The height of the hull sides on the 245 are significantly taller than the 240 or 255, and the entry is much sharper at the bow. While the Hallett Brass would never confirm this, I always suspected that the 245 was a shortened 270. Had it been a 240 I believe that the integral swim platform would be much lower to the water, like that of the 255. Never been in a 245 but, the word is the boat has horrible sea-characteristics & poor handling.

The 250 Stepped-Bottom (1997-2001), I've heard was a copy of an Eliminator 250 Eagle with a different deck. Never been in one either, but if it is true that it's an Eliminator copy then it "shouldn't" ride any better or worse than its Eliminator counterpart.

Hallett took the top off the 245 and the bottom off the 240 to make the 255.

I bring up the 245 & 250 because sellers try to miss lead the uninformed.

Great post! All truths.

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
The Hallett 245 non vented single step bottom was the bad handling one. Buddy had one and witnessed it twice almost throw all the occupants out on a very slow speed turn. I believe this was the boat that threw out the evaluator at the Hot Boat Evals. years ago, but never had the balls to publish the name.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The Hallett 245 non vented single step bottom was the bad handling one. Buddy had one and witnessed it twice almost throw all the occupants out on a very slow speed turn. I believe this was the boat that threw out the evaluator at the Hot Boat Evals. years ago, but never had the balls to publish the name.

The demon boat was a first gen Lavey 2750 it was actually owned by Boatnam on here and he ended up taking the Teague 620 out of it and putting it in a party prowler

As far as stepped Halletts.. If it says hallett on the side and it is a step bottom (with the exception of the 290). Your probably best to just keep searching classifieds they are all terrible..

Runs2rch

Reaction score
The demon boat was a first gen Lavey 2750 it was actually owned by Boatnam on here and he ended up taking the Teague 620 out of it and putting it in a party prowler

As far as stepped Halletts.. If it says hallett on the side and it is a step bottom (with the exception of the 290). Your probably best to just keep searching classifieds they are all terrible..

Amen to that. They all handle pretty poorly. The new 29 they spent money for a real design.

Kfabe

Reaction score
I'm about 99% positive it was the 1st generation 255 that had the leaning problem. A neighbor in my old river park had this issue and Hallett told him sorry just dump it.

Could you elaborate on the leaning problem?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Could you elaborate on the leaning problem?

He is talking about the 245, which was basically a shortened 270 keel. The 255 is a 240 bottom and regarded along many (myself included) as one of the best bottoms of all time.

The 245 (which they only made a couple) and 270’s) don’t like a lot of weight in the front of them. The keel is so sharp that the boat can lay over on its side.

The upside of the 270’s is that same sharp entry makes them run through rough water like nothing. They just don’t perform well with a ton of weight in the front of them.

Kfabe

Reaction score
He is talking about the 245, which was basically a shortened 270 keel. The 255 is a 240 bottom and regarded along many (myself included) as one of the best bottoms of all time.

The 245 (which they only made a couple) and 270’s) don’t like a lot of weight in the front of them. The keel is so sharp that the boat can lay over on its side.

The upside of the 270’s is that same sharp entry makes them run through rough water like nothing. They just don’t perform well with a ton of weight in the front of them.

I was driving an 03 255 a few hours ago and felt that it was leaning. The water was fairly choppy and it just felt slightly strange. I’ve driven it quite a bit and never had a problem witch is why I started looking into it.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
What I hear from the sales staffs at the boat show concerning all makes, all brands, all mfg's of 25's:

Do the stringers go all the way back to the stern? That is, the entire length of the hull. A BFD I'm told.
Is the deck cut out to accommodate the walk/crawl thru mid/full cabin? If so, expect hull cracks on some.
How many layers of glass on the hull? 3,, 6?

2 step bottom design? Ride quality can really vary among builders we hear.

We're looking too, and that's what we're told to consider.
Still in school with this, damfino.

Last edited:

Ricks raft

Reaction score
I'm no professional, but I've been in boats for 50+ years and have owned 6-7. I had a 2003 255 mcob with 525 don't know of any ill handling, didn't do anything surprising. Just seemed like a big heavy version of my 210. My 210 actually "hooked" a couple times when pushed to hard in the corners, maybe the 255 would also but not with the 525. It was loaded and my dream boat but even though it was paid for, had to much invested when the economy went to shit. Wish I had it now with the price of used right now.
I prefer the rounded look compared to the 240. And never a problem stepping through the cabin when docking by myself. And the storage was great. It's a huge boat for a 25.
In my opinion the 525 would be minimum and a 600ish would be perfect.

Now my current Howard 22 sport, it rolls on its side off the pad when turning! :)

Ricks raft

Reaction score
And about construction.. It felt like a tank didn't flex and never had a stress mark anywhere.