WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Vector

Rivrat

Reaction score
You missed two great mornings of skiing while home riding your dinosaur. My brother is filling in for you on Thursday. :)

only saw two other boats on the water. Gebhart and Baker skied earlier for the best water we had to deal with sloppy seconds.

View attachment 1131003
Dinosaur wrangler / turd burglar

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG
IMG_0504.JPG
IMG_0499.JPG
IMG_0497.JPG
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG

Wheeler

Reaction score
Any more pics of this one?
I've quite a few pix of it starting from '05 or so. One photo really shows the colors well, better than most pix that I shot of it. I'll have to break out an old apple computer or go through a terra byte of photos on an xternal drive which I need to do anyway as I need to find the original file of the two crazy old guys flying the Hydro.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Speaking if fast hot rods, what ever happened to Mark's quad rotor Stoker? That thing was badass. Was running with him at an OP6C several years ago.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
@Wheeler

Any pics of my cousins old Vector, I heard its down in Parker somewhere....

Its all white w/ red trim and red anodized hardware, merc 502 / bravo, last time I saw it was named "Cha-Ching", I think he sold it in 12-13
This one? I believe Robert Collins owns along w 2 other vectors. He‘s been working on it, i believe broke drive last week.
81CD9FEC-5399-479E-A2AF-DD0EA891A3C2.jpeg
D4D4B88B-944C-4ACF-BD23-642019D410DD.jpeg
1D8BD811-4804-4CAE-AE5E-697411AC4FD6.jpeg

Wheeler

Reaction score

Taboma

Reaction score
I/O Vector vs V-Drive Vector, dependability or survivability aside --- with equal HP, performance wise, how do they compare ?
15- 20 mph advantage for the I/O ?

Hammer

Reaction score
Was out In havasu last week. Awesome weather. View attachment 1131266 View attachment 1131265
I have never seen it on the trailer. Holy shit that is a nice set up!! I'm going to build a triple axle trailer next. you have a 500 or a 525 right? What prop and are you running a shorty lower? My Vector is done but I need to try a different prop and work on set up. Any pics of the dash?

Bobby_329

Reaction score
Het Bobby.... Quit ruining this Vector thread with Stokers! LOL

IS it done?
I like the vector too. the stoker is done but i have the motor back out right now tracing down an oil leak but hopefully have it back in soon.

Attachments

• vector.jpg
    vector.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 50
  • vector2.jpg
    vector2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 52
  • vector1.jpg
    vector1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 54

MARCYTECH

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a newbie (I am)
How do you guys drive these things in rough water?
I’ve been playing with set up on mine and i don’t know what direction I should be going. Bow up and get on top or tab the bow down and let ‘er eat?

37 boat

Reaction score
Timely thread...I'm trying to get my Vector back on the water. I'm getting ready to mount these tabs and not sure if I want to go horizontal or parallel to the bottom of the boat. Thoughts? @Racey @Melloyellovector

IMG_20220629_111951455.jpg

IMG_20220629_112727999.jpg

hallett3

Reaction score
I have never seen it on the trailer. Holy shit that is a nice set up!! I'm going to build a triple axle trailer next. you have a 500 or a 525 right? What prop and are you running a shorty lower? My Vector is done but I need to try a different prop and work on set up. Any pics of the dash?
Can’t wait to see yours done and a triple axle. Thanks for the compliments. I’m running mercury racing 525 with a stock XR lower. Lower is next on the list. I run a 28 pitch. The stereo on the right is in the works right now. New stereo and a custom plate is in the works. I wish I didn’t have the stereo there, but originally had a glove box there.
1656527865417.jpeg

hallett3

Reaction score
From some of photos before you mount yours, it looks like they are more towards the center of the stern. IDK if that’s your final for mounting. daytona47 looks like they are more towards the side of his boat. I’d Pm and get the measurements . Love the colors of your boat BTW. Good luck with the build and keep posting. Love other builds. Especially vectors.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
This looks like good placement to me.

You really want to limit their authority which is why running them horizontal is better on a small boat, essentially only one corner is contacting the water that way. I would also consider taking the ram apart and installing a physical stop to limit their down travel. K planes can get you into trouble real quick on a small boat.

37 boat

Reaction score

You really want to limit their authority which is why running them horizontal is better on a small boat, essentially only one corner is contacting the water that way. I would also consider taking the ram apart and installing a physical stop to limit their down travel. K planes can get you into trouble real quick on a small boat.
Thanks, I appreciate your input. Putting the limiter on is a good idea... even with the old Bennett tabs I could bury the nose.

Daytona47

Reaction score

These made my boat handle completely different. It now reacts a lot to the smallest inputs on the tabs. It also lightened the boat up and freed up the bottom at higher speeds. It rides almost on the tabs now

37 boat

Reaction score
From some of photos before you mount yours, it looks like they are more towards the center of the stern. IDK if that’s your final for mounting. daytona47 looks like they are more towards the side of his boat. I’d Pm and get the measurements . Love the colors of your boat BTW. Good luck with the build and keep posting. Love other builds. Especially vectors.
Thanks, just playing around with placement before I go drilling holes. Your Vector is bad ass...I love seeing all the other ones too.

Hammer

Reaction score
Can’t wait to see yours done and a triple axle. Thanks for the compliments. I’m running mercury racing 525 with a stock XR lower. Lower is next on the list. I run a 28 pitch. The stereo on the right is in the works right now. New stereo and a custom plate is in the works. I wish I didn’t have the stereo there, but originally had a glove box there. View attachment 1131324
Do you have a trim/tab gauges? I put an XR on as well and it likes absolutely no trim. IT bow hops like crazy with the slightest trim of the drive.

Daytona47

Reaction score
Did it make a big difference? What do you have for power?

EDIT: I saw your reply above. Menace Install the tabs?
No they did not. Yes they made a huge difference. I have a 509 for power. I can give it trim and a little tab till the boat feels aired out

Rivrat

Reaction score
You should buy Ronnie's Vector then you could be considered a true "blended family''
I’ve been playing with set up on mine and i don’t know what direction I should be going. Bow up and get on top or tab the bow down and let ‘er eat
I’ve been playing with set up on mine and i don’t know what direction I should be going. Bow up and get on top or tab the bow down and let ‘er eat?
Bow up to get over the stuff at a higher speed, slow speeds bow down and let her push through the junk. Bow down makes a nice pad for skiers too

hallett3

Reaction score
Do you have a trim/tab gauges? I put an XR on as well and it likes absolutely no trim. IT bow hops like crazy with the slightest trim of the drive.
No I don’t have a trim gauge. The gimble housing is imco and they don’t have the trim sensors on the housing. Also the outdrive only trims half up on trailer mode. I asked imco and they said that’s normal so you don’t trim the drive to much. Hard on the u-joints when trimming they told me. Mine doesn’t bow hop at when i trim up. I’m at a loss for the bow hop cause your boat if remember was set up like mine. What trim tabs do you have on your boat ?

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ardy shoulda bought it and he wouldn't need to be looking for a race boat today.

The tides are shifting.. there will be plenty up for sale cheap here in the future.

I shoulda bought that orange and yellow turbo one with the 3 drive on the back. Scotty Monroe ended up with it. That was the first one that came across my desk that was priced more than fair for what it is..

Hammer

Reaction score
No I don’t have a trim gauge. The gimble housing is imco and they don’t have the trim sensors on the housing. Also the outdrive only trims half up on trailer mode. I asked imco and they said that’s normal so you don’t trim the drive to much. Hard on the u-joints when trimming they told me. Mine doesn’t bow hop at when i trim up. I’m at a loss for the bow hop cause your boat if remember was set up like mine. What trim tabs do you have on your boat ?
E9B569D3-FB34-495A-9181-494D2D194ABB.jpeg
717C62C8-E077-48B0-88A6-B6DFBCF91CE9.jpeg
4DEF3E71-9E77-4C3E-8DEE-9926E57F6727.jpeg

. I had a mechanical trim gauge that I will put back on. Probably a tab gauge too. I just don’t want to ruin the dash. Lol. I need to find gauges I like.

The tabs are custom and came on the boat. I have a turn fin too. Boat turns really well. They are old school but seem to work just fine.

A couple of questions though… how will a 28P prop ear clear the drive? This is a 26P and it’s way to small, I had it on the shelf so I put it on to water test last weekend.

It looks like I’d need a 3” shorty lower or more. I bet the prop is 5” below the bottom of the boat. If the height of the lower shortens how does a 30P prop clear the drive if it’s closer to the upper gear case? I’m going to put a 28P on it next trip out,

I couldn’t get over 4200RPM, the boat torques over so bad it felt like it was going to barrel roll. I had to ease into the throttle while they tuned the EFI, I couldn’t get anywhere near 5k. 😳

What causes that torque roll? Prop? It’s just a N/A EFI Engine. It’s not like it’s 1000HP. Hard to believe it just makes that much torque the boat wants to roll. It was the first time I’d driven it since 2016, so I wasn’t in a position to bury the tab to balance the boat out. It was the first run out and we were dialing in the tune.

Any thoughts from the brain trust?

Last edited:

hallett3

Reaction score
View attachment 1131439 View attachment 1131440 View attachment 1131441
. I had a mechanical trim gauge that I will put back on. Probably a tab gauge too. I just don’t want to ruin the dash. Lol. I need to find gauges I like.

The tabs are custom and came on the boat. I have a turn fin too. Boat turns really well. They are old school but seem to work just fine.

A couple of questions though… how will a 28P prop ear clear the drive? This is a 26P and it’s way to small, I had it on the shelf so I put it on to water test last weekend.

It looks like I’d need a 3” shorty lower or more. I bet the prop is 5” below the bottom of the boat. If the height of the lower shortens how does a 30P prop clear the drive if it’s closer to the upper gear case? I’m going to put a 28P on it next trip out,

I couldn’t get over 4200RPM, the boat torques over so bad it felt like it was going to barrel roll. I had to ease into the throttle while they tuned the EFI, I couldn’t get anywhere near 5k. 😳

What causes that torque roll? Prop? It’s just a N/A EFI Engine. It’s not like it’s 1000HP. Hard to believe it just makes that much torque the boat wants to roll. It was the first time I’d driven it since 2016, so I wasn’t in a position to bury the tab to balance the boat out. It was the first run out and we were dialing in the tune.

Any thoughts from the brain trust?
Your 28 pitch prop will clear easily but your going to lose RPM even more. Without knowing the horsepower of your engine I would try a 23 thru a 26 pitch prop. Your engine definitely needs more RPM in the 5000 RPM range. Like to know numbers on torque and horsepower. I had borrowed a 26 and RPM was to high so I went to the 28. Honesty I haven’t done my Homework on a shorter lower unit yet. IDK if it makes a huge difference. If someone who’s done this would love them to chime in.

Last edited:

Hammer

Reaction score
Your 28 pitch prop will clear easily but your going to lose RPM even more. Without knowing the horsepower of your engine I would try a 23 thru a 26 pitch prop. Your engine definitely needs more RPM in the 5000 RPM range. Like to know numbers on torque and horsepower. I had borrowed a 26 and RPM was to high so I went to the 28. Honesty I haven’t done my Homework on a shorter lower unit yet. IDK if it makes a huge difference. If someone who’s done this would love them to chime in.
Engine makes 750HP/780TQ. RPM’s should be around the 5600 RPM range tapped out. I know for sure a 26P is too small. Only reason I couldn’t get TO 5000 RPM was because the boat was leaning over the harder I stepped on the go fast pedal. It was not safe to stay in the gas past 4200RPM. Speedo wasn’t working so I don’t know how fast we were going.

I’ll guess we will learn set up as we go…

hallett3

Reaction score
Engine makes 750HP/780TQ. RPM’s should be around the 5600 RPM range tapped out. I know for sure a 26P is too small. Only reason I couldn’t get TO 5000 RPM was because the boat was leaning over the harder I stepped on the go fast pedal. It was not safe to stay in the gas past 4200RPM. Speedo wasn’t working so I don’t know how fast we were going.

I’ll guess we will learn set up as we go…
Yes with that HP definitely a 28. That’s some serious HP there. I can see why you might want to go with a 30 also. It should clear the drive also. I just don’t know why your boat wants to lean over when trying to speed up. Looking at your photos your drive is set at the standard height. I know I have to adjust my tabs when I speed up. I don’t know if you do the same. I had one tab not working right one moved faster than the other and my boat rolled to one side more when I hit the gas. Might want to check and see if the tabs are working correctly also. Turned out to be a bad ground.

Last edited:

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate your input. Putting the limiter on is a good idea... even with the old Bennett tabs I could bury the nose.
Those tabs you should be pretty safe with, If you had the over sized 24in ones then I’d say limit for sure.
I love the way mine handles. It runs hard and has zero sketch zones at any speed.
imco drive -2 lower. Max 5 prop
0F162DAF-BB94-42A2-BF53-23A58CFD3651.jpeg
7C418190-4BCC-45B4-A699-1DF68087522A.jpeg

1F07AD13-575C-4851-BECA-8AA2F453DCFB.jpeg

Last edited:

37 boat

Reaction score

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
The tides are shifting.. there will be plenty up for sale cheap here in the future.

I shoulda bought that orange and yellow turbo one with the 3 drive on the back. Scotty Monroe ended up with it. That was the first one that came across my desk that was priced more than fair for what it is..
I came close on that one as well. Luved it.