WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Watch guys?

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I have the deployant on my Worldtimer and the Constellation, Omega are at the top of the game when it comes to these. Either way I am sure you will be happy, but I am a big fan of the deployant, and it tucking the extra length on the underside.

RVR_RCN

Reaction score

Attachments

• 5 digit sub.jpg
    5 digit sub.jpg
    764 KB · Views: 56

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
5 digit Sub is a classic timepiece, I prefer it to the newer 6 digit model! I wear mine daily and get frequent compliments.
I would love me a sub, a GMT Master II would be top preference, but alas, Rolex AD's have no interest in my money. The increased production cause some to think it will improve the situation, but the hot pieces are still gonna go out the back door to the grey market unless you had a history with them all before the hype.

Thing One

Reaction score
I’ve wanted a Rolex 126710 BLNR Batman forever. Waited on my local dealer for years, but pretty much knew I’m never going to get the call. I refuse to pay over msrp and go gray market, so screw it, if it happens, it happens.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
I’ve wanted a Rolex 126710 BLNR Batman forever. Waited on my local dealer for years, but pretty much knew I’m never going to get the call. I refuse to pay over msrp and go gray market, so screw it, if it happens, it happens.
I'm a "one watch guy" in the sense that I generally wear the one that I like the most everyday. I wore a Datejust for 12 years., a Speedmaster for 3, and recently bought an Explorer II. Every time, I have put the last watch back in the box and not looked back. I love that I have the options, and I love owning the old ones-
My point is, if you want it and want to use it, go buy it. Market be damned-it will be yours and you will love it.
Side note, I have bought all of my watches used/unworn. Kinda like new?

Thing One

Reaction score
I'm a "one watch guy" in the sense that I generally wear the one that I like the most everyday. I wore a Datejust for 12 years., a Speedmaster for 3, and recently bought an Explorer II. Every time, I have put the last watch back in the box and not looked back. I love that I have the options, and I love owning the old ones-
My point is, if you want it and want to use it, go buy it. Market be damned-it will be yours and you will love it.
Side note, I have bought all of my watches used/unworn. Kinda like new?

Retail is let’s say 11k, gray market is 18k. I just can’t do it. Bugs the shit out of me.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Retail is let’s say 11k, gray market is 18k. I just can’t do it. Bugs the shit out of me.
I get it-I also want a Daytona at retail,. The market is coming back to reality and I think a Batman will be around 15 shortly. Keep your eye out, there are deals.

clarence

Reaction score

The wait has killed my love for the Palm Dial DJ.

Get yourself an Omega. It's the better watch anyway.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I have the deployant on my Worldtimer and the Constellation, Omega are at the top of the game when it comes to these. Either way I am sure you will be happy, but I am a big fan of the deployant, and it tucking the extra length on the underside.

They’re so damned proud of their straps and clasps…I just couldn’t do it. Even an Isofrane seems ridiculous for a silicone strap.

So if I’m not running the Omega bracelet, then it’s on a $40 Borealis strap LOL

IMG_1504.jpeg

Tank

Reaction score
Oh yeah, they’re out there. I should reiterate, I’m waiting for my buddy to get one in at his shop. He actually has a 2020in but I’d like to
Get a 2010 second generation. That’s a great price on a 3rd gen Bluey though!!

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Fresh service from Rolex on my GMT. Man, they are great people at the Rolex service center in Beverly Hills, top notch service from them. My watch had a full overhaul service with the Bezel insert and crystal replaced then polished. Total bill was $1200 for all that work. Very happy how it turned out, like having a new watch. My buddy who collects watches told me to only do a service and leave the scratched up parts alone, I'm just not that guy. lol

IMG_6561.jpeg

clarence

Reaction score
Now that I'm off Rolex's schedule, I really am curious how others pace themselves.

Do you limit yourself to a fixed number of watches? Box size? N+1?

Or whenever finances allow? A dollar amount/year?

Or just whenever something strikes your fancy?

pronstar

Reaction score
Fresh service from Rolex on my GMT. Man, they are great people at the Rolex service center in Beverly Hills, top notch service from them. My watch had a full overhaul service with the Bezel insert and crystal replaced then polished. Total bill was $1200 for all that work. Very happy how it turned out, like having a new watch. My buddy who collects watches told me to only do a service and leave the scratched up parts alone, I'm just not that guy. lol

View attachment 1320947
That’s not a bad price at all.

I’m having trouble getting a common 7750 movement serviced for less than a grand.

pronstar

Reaction score
Now that I'm off Rolex's schedule, I really am curious how others pace themselves.

I had a few keepers when I was flipping watches, I think I had around 6 or 8 that I thought I’d never sell.

But I haven’t flipped a watch in years, and I’m down to 3 mechanical keepers plus a couple G-Shocks

Right now it’s priorities. I’ve got two little ones plus a house to renovate.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
That’s not a bad price at all.

I’m having trouble getting a common 7750 movement serviced for less than a grand.

Yeah, I thought the same thing considering all the work they did to it.

What watch is the 7750 in? Pretty common movement used by many..

caribbean20

Reaction score

View attachment 1320947
That’s interesting information. May try to find someone to clean up some nicks and scratches on the Rose gold on this Hublot. Due to its size, I seem to bang it against stuff an inordinate number of times. Always wondered if someone can brush up the gold and take the scratches out. Anyone have experience with this?
IMG_6647.jpeg

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Just an Oris Titan 47, nothing special.
It was one of my favorite beaters so I hung onto it.

View attachment 1321160

Very nice, 47 is a big boy... The 7750 movements are pretty accurate and solid from what I have read, they are used in some of my favorite watches including Omega, IWC, Tag, Breitling, Hamilton,Oris etc...

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
That’s interesting information. May try to find someone to clean up some nicks and scratches on the Rose gold on this Hublot. Due to its size, I seem to bang it against stuff an inordinate number of times. Always wondered if someone can brush up the gold and take the scratches out. Anyone have experience with this?
View attachment 1321163

Wow, what a watch... Is that a Big Bang Unico? I would take it straight to Hublot and have them service it and clean it up, I'm sure they can do it. I commend you for actually wearing such an expensive piece, that's how it should be. In the meantime you could put some Dawn dish soap on a soft tooth brush and get some of that dirt off. I do that all the time with great results.

caribbean20

Reaction score
Wow, what a watch... Is that a Big Bang Unico? I would take it straight to Hublot and have them service it and clean it up, I'm sure they can do it. I commend you for actually wearing such an expensive piece, that's how it should be. In the meantime you could put some Dawn dish soap on a soft tooth brush and get some of that dirt off. I do that all the time with great results.
I just know it as a Big Bang, here’s the back of the watch with the ID info. I always appreciated the glass view of the internal mechanisms.

IMG_6648.jpeg
Thanks for the compliment and good advice on the clean up. Saw that as soon as I posted the pic 😳

Tank

Reaction score
View attachment 1321163
Yeah, you may want to save that one for dress up nights at 30k plus 😳 banging it on stuff would make me a little nervous. Lol

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Going to limit myself to one watch a year at Christmas going forward.

Allows me to keep looking, but keeps things under (some) control.

Do you do something similar?

Have the next several years lined up.

View attachment 1320940

View attachment 1320939

View attachment 1320938

View attachment 1320937
I'm the same, one in the price caliber you are showing above every year around Christmas has been my trend, but I will allow a Hamilton or Gshock during the year if something blows me away and I gotta have it, however, I, besides the silly idea of being allowed a Rolex, don't really have anything on the horizon after the Moonwatch. Maybe the red bezel Tudor Black Bay 41, however, I fear I am only considering it in the attempt to secure favor with the Rolex AD, and that won't mean shit to them anyway. Ugh. Stupid hobby :)
tudor-m7941a1a0ru-0003.png

Thing One

Reaction score

I definitely don't consider myself a watch guy, only have a few and don't need/want a huge collection. I do want to add a few more then hope to be done. It's funny, some of my favorite watches all are from the same disliked brand by anyone that is a watch guy. I like Citizen, they have some of the best looking watches IMO, cheap price points so if it gets destroyed no biggie, easily obtainable, keep amazing time.

Go ahead and bash away.... :)

clarence

Reaction score
in the price caliber you are showing above

I'd first thought to allocate costs proportionate to use (rarely worn dress watches should be less expensive than daily sports watches), but it's too hard to leave the better watch at home. Better they all be of the same caliber.

Stupid hobby

It's an asset class!!

clarence

Reaction score
I definitely don't consider myself a watch guy, only have a few and don't need/want a huge collection. I do want to add a few more then hope to be done. It's funny, some of my favorite watches all are from the same disliked brand by anyone that is a watch guy. I like Citizen, they have some of the best looking watches IMO, cheap price points so if it gets destroyed no biggie, easily obtainable, keep amazing time.

Go ahead and bash away.... :)

That's just not so. Watch guys like watches.

You'll find more affordable watch fans than any others on watch forums.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
You can as easily sub Citizen for Seiko here.

Yep, I love my particular Seiko, but I love my Hamilton pilot watch more. Heck, that thing gets more wrist time than many more pricier pieces I own, its that damn good, and I beat the drum the loudest for that thing because it is such damn good quality for the price. Real watch people like things at every price point, and Citizen is certainly quality in their range. They are the best at a few things as well. I don't think its fair to say anything like "any real watch enthusiast needs to own a (blank) in their collection". However, I would say a good amount of them will have a Casio, a GShock in particular, and a Citizen/Seiko/Hamilton/etc, something in that range they love as well.

I think the parallel is like someone with a brand new DCB probably still fondly thinks of their old flatty or jet boat they used to have as well, or maybe still have as a Sunday boat. There is too much "cool" all around, and at so many different price points.

Watches are where art and history, fashion and engineering all intersect. That's their magic, not keeping up with the Jones' or even worse "Alternate Asset Class" view of things. Just tiny machines, that somehow feel like companions to me in my memories, that make me smile. I can't ever make anyone "get it", but those that get it, get it :)
OmegaLondon2.jpg

Last edited:

clarence

Reaction score
Real watch people like things at every price point, and Citizen is certainly quality in their range. They are the best at a few things as well.

Citizen took its emblematic light-powered technology to a new level of precision with the introduction of Caliber 0100 in 2019. A quartz Eco-Drive movement that calibrates time to an astonishing accuracy of +/- 1 second per year, it is the current record holder for the title of “world’s most accurate.”

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
How are you liking your Worldtimer, ChevelleSB406? How does it wear?

View attachment 1321454

I'm liking more and more the Summer Blue and Titanium versions.

View attachment 1321455

View attachment 1321453
I actually have had it on all week this week, its my most comfortable watch. In terms of wear, it doesn't wear as big as the dimensions say, especially with Omega's lire style lugs, it doesn't "look" any bigger than my SMP300 on wrist, no more presence. I bought mine on the rubber strap and deployant I love so much, and its beyond comfy, and I didn't like the look or the feel of the factory bracelet, so easy decision. I don't seem to like any butterfly style clasps when I try them on, but to each their own. I am still really enjoying it, and the fact it is so unique, I don't think I will ever part with it. But in full disclosure, I don't feel "bonded" with it yet, like I do my SMP300 and my Hamilton, I am not cutting in line to wear it over other watches. However, it was over a year with my SMP until it finally was like that. I am at about a year with this watch now.

I travel a fair bit, so its a no brainer and super useful travel companion, and the dial is mesmerizing, so I do catch myself staring at it often. This is the video that doomed me, I used to watch it every week or so until I possessed it.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Just ordered this...
Great history and neat story how its being brought back as a brand.
I will also order the allsport when it becomes available again. Pretty cool watch for 127 dollars. (shipped)
Super cool watch nerd thing to wear as a beater.

clarence

Reaction score
Great history and neat story how its being brought back as a brand.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
View attachment 1323458

New to me, Cool watch, crazy light.

Bad ass, I am a James Bond nerd, hell, I have the fake MI-6 crest and the Bond family motto tattooed on my shoulder :) When this first came out, I was bummed at the earth tone colors, its never my thing, but over the years it has really grown on me aesthetically. I have always been a fan of the specs though, titanium, no date, lumed bezel, broad arrow military logo, I have now come to want one. My self imposed rule is Omega #5 in my box will be the silver snoopy if I can make that happen somehow. This is on the short list, and who knows if they ever get to making the next movie, what the next release will be.

spectras only

Reaction score
Update on my post https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/watch-guys.246733/post-5028226

The crook contacted my son two days ago. My son and his buddy [ owner of the watch ] set up a sting operation. They let the police know about it. So, m son went to a local Tim Horton store, his buddy sat in there a few tables away. Guy shows up 3:00 PM on time and sat down with my son, discussing deatails buying the watch. Son took the watch in his hands looking at it and startted asking the guy where he bought the watch. He told, he got it from his grandpa, haha. My son says to the guy, "you know this watch is stolen"?. Son's buddy comes over with the papers and box and they check serial number. Would you know, it's the right watch! Fucker gets up and walking out empty handed, walking by the police car just pulling up.
What is the chance, you'd find your watch, being stolen nearly two years ago. Fucker probably could have sold the watch on E-bay!.
Never buy anything without proof of papers and sale's slip.

Last edited:

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
How about the 60th Anniversary?

View attachment 1323627

I was really into it for all reasons, design, specialty box, "animated" case back, however, at that price, I think I would go NTTD at the end of the day. I am still a cheap ass I guess and love my SMP300 that much, that it wasn't quite enough wow to be that much more expensive. I think this is a great piece though, but it did launch 3 days after I bought the world timer so was feeling pretty poor at that moment :)

McKay

Reaction score
Bad ass, I am a James Bond nerd, hell, I have the fake MI-6 crest and the Bond family motto tattooed on my shoulder :) When this first came out, I was bummed at the earth tone colors, its never my thing, but over the years it has really grown on me aesthetically. I have always been a fan of the specs though, titanium, no date, lumed bezel, broad arrow military logo, I have now come to want one. My self imposed rule is Omega #5 in my box will be the silver snoopy if I can make that happen somehow. This is on the short list, and who knows if they ever get to making the next movie, what the next release will be.
I love Brown, wish there was more options for brown. Snoopies have been coming down a lot. Seeing them in the 15-16K range now. Not sure I need one but maybe if they get around the 10K mark. Retail is probably about 10?