WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who’s doing desert bash in two weeks?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I wouldn’t doubt if some lurker clicked the thread and didn’t get the humor they might send an email to someone.. you’d be shocked at how many people click a thread read a few posts and fake shit out of context.. it is one of the downsides to ranking high in google with a forum.

That said I get the joke.

People take things out of context all day every day. Our entire world views are based around sound bites and gotcha quotes.

If that happens I will laugh my ass off watching that get dismantled.

The guy opened with “I’m taking my kid on the poker run.” 😂

riverroyal

Reaction score
I dont think he is fishing. But whatever.
Also, LOF I never said hunt him down with a gun in hand.
I said people will have guns and if they get bumped and pissed they will find him. 'Hunt him down'. It's a phrase. Stop spinning everything.
I've known Ian for maybe 17 years. From black meadow landing.
Passing 100 cars, bumping, doing 2 laps whatever.
He can amd will do whatever he wants. That's totally fine.
Somethings are better to keep to yourself. Also Somethings don't need you to reply. I'm know that's impossible for you, but I know everything I post here you are minutes behind
At what point do you stop? Aren't you bored with me yet? Go stalk someone more challenging, obviously I'm to easy for you since it never fucking stops.

I've cut back on posting here. Giving my thoughts. YOU have really made it a waste of time. As I type I'm thinking about your reply because I know it's coming. That really is getting old, unappreciated and at this point bullshit.
Have fun at the bash.
I'm putting myself on RDP vacation for a bit. Maybe you will forget about me.

RIVERBORN

Reaction score
you are smart enough to know that 95% of the participants are out for a cruise right? Also, that most of these will have a gun in the car. Getting a love tap on a poker run from a guy that's confused about it not being a race is....well ignorant. Have fun, hope you a have good dental plan, someone is not going to be happy with a tap

wait for it...LOF will reply quick
Don’t care to read through the rest of comments. Lol.
But yea, what’s with the “I’m so fast I bump people in a poker run”
Go race desert. Show your stuff
If you do race then I doubt your an ass in a poker run. 🤷🏼

Dunerking

Reaction score
I’ve never done one of these events (but it sounds like a blast)..but my take away is these type of “fun run” events sounds just like that…fun…unless there is a 1st place finisher trophy,then I’d imagine it’s game on! It seems if you want to race(and be like Rob Mac) ,there are sanctioned races for just that nerf away balls out type of driving! At least in a race the other competitors won’t be caught off guard by that awesome nerf that is coming.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Which circles back to “why do you post this stuff Ian?” lol.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Which circles back to “why do you post this stuff Ian?” lol.
Yeah, I was not looking for a fight or argument; I was just pointing out something to consider. Frankly, I'll learn someday to keep my mouth shut.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Yeah, I was not looking for a fight or argument; I was just pointing out something to consider. Frankly, I'll learn someday to keep my mouth shut.

I wasn’t referring to you, I was referring to the now numerous posts taking the nerf post seriously and asking Ian why he’s chumming the waters

RD

Hammer

Reaction score
I've no dog in this fight as I'm not participating this year. However, let me play Captain Obvious Fun Spoiler. @Bpracing1127 God forbid some bluehair in a mule accidentally gets bummed while you are up in their ass on the horn in the dust. The snowbird freaks out and grabs all the brakes, and you punt them into the desert. His SIL is an ambulance chaser, and the witness lurks on RDP. Husband/wife experiences trauma resulting in an overload of a ticker, and next thing, Life Flight is responding to the scene.

You might reconsider your public record of your desert bash plans. Drivers who have never experienced the joy of a nerf rarely find it amusing. It seems plenty of available routes are not clogged up with people on a social cruise; perhaps a different plan should be considered like the Parker 400 or Parker Dam races coming soon.

What if somebody you've pissed off just sends a link to this thread to the Desert Bash organizer, and when you pick up your envelope, they turn you away?
Or the good old Google keyword alert? How do I set up Google Alerts for keywords?

Create an alert
  1. Go to Google Alerts.
  2. In the box at the top, enter a topic you want to follow.
  3. To change your settings, click Show options. You can change: How often you get notifications. The types of sites you'll see. Your language. ...
  4. Click Create Alert. You'll get emails whenever we find matching search results.
When I'm promoting events, I'm watching this like a hawk. :)
The more you know!! Learned something new today…. 😂

Let’s put on a fun run!

Reactions: DWC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Havasu to Hualapai for Lunch and back. Day trip.

It would have to be a Riders ride. Not a beer cruise.

I’m down if anyone else is.

8am depart from Pilot and Back by sunset.

Isn't it snowing up there? It's gotta be balls cold..

I was thinking like camping in Parker and running the race course or something.. LOL.

RD

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

I was thinking like camping in Parker and running the race course or something.. LOL.

RD

I’m not racing the Parker race this year, yet, but would be cool to bring the race car out and run the course with you hooligans.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
The more you know!! Learned something new today…. 😂

Let’s put on a fun run!
At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, I will share my sensitivity to this subject. For the record, I passionately hate this policy I am about to share.

A cautionary tale:

Following the California 200 I served on a BLM committee regarding Special Recreation Permits (SRPs). As part of my duties, I had to understand the SRP process.

I have a certified letter I keep from the Department of the Interior threatening me with a Federal Class A Misdemeanor for violation of the BLM SRP process. Since I knew the process well, I was within the intent of the regulations, but subjectively, the bureaucracy disagreed. I have not organized or promoted an event since because I don't want to fight with a Federal Agency. Regardless of being on the right side of this, I would have to invest in defending myself and risk a minimum sentence of 6 months.

Why am I sharing this story?

Under the regulations, any "event" that takes place on public lands managed by the BLM is required to obtain a 'Special Recreation Permit."One of the triggers for a defined event is advertising. The use of social networks is defined as advertising. Meaning that organizing a Fun Run on RDP could be described as an event and trigger all kinds of happy horse shit from the BLM. One example of this was that, for a while, groups traveling on the Mojave Road would get harassed by BLM LEOs for permits.

BLM manager's personalities differ by region. They almost never manage in the same way in different districts. However, some BLM SRP managers are real asshats, and they follow local social media channels. It is best to keep your plans in a private space and fly below the radar. A free event does not disqualify the need to obtain an SRP.

I can't speak to the other acronym bureaucrats.

Don't underestimate the power of RDP in search and reach. There are a lot of people lurking on RDP who just don't participate in the conversations.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, I will share my sensitivity to this subject. For the record, I passionately hate this policy I am about to share.

A cautionary tale:

Following the California 200 I served on a BLM committee regarding Special Recreation Permits (SRPs). As part of my duties, I had to understand the SRP process.

I have a certified letter I keep from the Department of the Interior threatening me with a Federal Class A Misdemeanor for violation of the BLM SRP process. Since I knew the process well, I was within the intent of the regulations, but subjectively, the bureaucracy disagreed. I have not organized or promoted an event since because I don't want to fight with a Federal Agency. Regardless of being on the right side of this, I would have to invest in defending myself and risk a minimum sentence of 6 months.

Under the regulations, any "event" that takes place on public lands managed by the BLM is required to obtain a 'Special Recreation Permit."One of the triggers for a defined event is advertising. The use of social networks is defined as advertising. Meaning that organizing a Fun Run on RDP could be described as an event and trigger all kinds of happy horse shit from the BLM. One example of this was that, for a while, groups traveling on the Mojave Road would get harassed by BLM LEOs for permits.

BLM manager's personalities differ by region. They almost never manage in the same way in different districts. However, some BLM SRP managers are real asshats, and they follow local social media channels. It is best to keep your plans in a private space and fly below the radar. A free event does not disqualify the need to obtain an SRP.

Don't underestimate the power of RDP in search and reach. There are a lot of people lurking on RDP who just don't participate in the conversations.
Hence why the dam run is such a small event now.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

A cautionary tale:

This. There is way more “liability” wrapped up in the public planning of a gathering of like minded individuals at a specific day and time on “public 😂” lands than there is someone whining about someone else speaking about a hypothetical situation in jest.

There are people on this site that currently work for the government that will and are capable of doing the exact thing you are describing just to screw with people.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

RD

AFEB2D0C-4DB9-450F-8A71-786631655310.jpeg

Bring a blankie butter cup 😁

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Desert Storm vs Desert Bash. Attended and enjoyed by many hundreds and in some cases thousands. Each feature a Poker Run, which claim, by the promoters, to not be races. How long would the, now tamed down version, of the DS Poker Run last, if boat operators were claiming they would be ramming some of the slower boats in front of them? Sounds ludicrous doesn’t it? Hypothetical, said in jest, etc etc, there is just no benefit. Particularly when dealing with federally controlled land and waters. Did you ever hear of the very popular Barstow to Vegas dirt bike event? Just my worthless 2 cents.

BTW, if you’ve never done it, weather and trail conditions permitting, the run over the Hualapais from Kingman to the Boreana Mine/Goldfish ponds and out to Alamo Rd is pretty amazing. And it is definitely not a race.

Last edited:

Hammer

Reaction score

A cautionary tale:

Great to know, sad to read... I enjoy promoting events and watching everything come to life the weekend of. I don't enjoy towing the line of bureaucracy and government approval to do something fun...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

A cautionary tale:

There is some grey and not so grey areas for sure..

I was talking about maybe a big camping trip and then just go exploring.. or run the race course etc

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Great to know, sad to read... I enjoy promoting events and watching everything come to life the weekend of. I don't enjoy towing the line of bureaucracy and government approval to do something fun...

Over the years I have had a lot of discussions with the coastguard.. there’s grey and not so grey areas there too.. lol.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Desert Storm vs Desert Bash. Attended and enjoyed by many hundreds and in some cases thousands. Each feature a Poker Run, which claim, by the promoters, to not be races. How long would the, now tamed down version, of the DS Poker Run last, if boat operators were claiming they would be ramming some of the slower boats in front of them? Sounds ludicrous doesn’t it? Hypothetical, said in jest, etc etc, there is just no benefit. Particularly when dealing with federally controlled land and waters. Did you ever hear of the very popular Barstow to Vegas dirt bike event? Just my worthless 2 cents.

BTW, if you’ve never done it, weather and trail conditions permitting, the run over the Hualapais from Kingman to the Boreana Mine/Goldfish ponds and out to Alamo Rd is pretty amazing. And it is definitely not a race.

You are right that is a perfect example. It would last just as long as it has currently.

Recall Desert Storm was basically treated as a race. People challenged each other to get to the first stop first, it was a shotgun start and there were accidents in the past.

And yet we still have the event and sometimes the participants complain about slower boats being in their way on a public open lake for a run that is not a race.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You are right that is a perfect example. It would last just as long as it has currently.

Recall Desert Storm was basically treated as a race. People challenged each other to get to the first stop first, it was a shotgun start and there were accidents in the past.

And yet we still have the event and sometimes the participants complain about slower boats being in their way on a public open lake for a run that is not a race.

Well you and Ian have taken a fun thread about getting together and having some fun during desert bash and turned it into this..

Can we get back to Friday night drinks or rides and what groups are rubbing when during desert bash now?

This is insufferable

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Well you and Ian have taken a fun thread about getting together and having some fun during desert bash and turned it into this..

Can we get back to Friday night drinks or rides and what groups are rubbing when during desert bash now?

This is insufferable

We were all having some friendly banter and talking about Friday Night pregame festivities until the members of River Karen’s Place stepped in to put Ian in his place 🤣.

If people stopped telling each other how to act and live their lives when it isn’t asked for, threads wouldn’t end up like this.

Or just use the ignore button on people you don’t like.

That said there are good pieces of information in the discussion from @Sportin' Wood and others that are probably relevant to the topic and to advertising group camp outs on public lands as the owner of a public forum.

Bails

Reaction score
We were all having some friendly banter and talking about Friday Night pregame festivities until the members of River Karen’s Place stepped in to put Ian in his place 🤣.

If people stopped telling each other how to act and live their lives when it isn’t asked for, threads wouldn’t end up like this.

Or just use the ignore button on people you don’t like.

That said there are good pieces of information in the discussion from @Sportin' Wood and others that are probably relevant to the topic and to advertising group camp outs on public lands as the owner of a public forum.
Have you filed a trademark on RiverKaren'sPlace yet?

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Perhaps a spirited trail ride is in order for all the thrill seekers. OnX offroad provides the route, and MotionX GPS can record the time and give a file to upload.

Throw some money in a hat, and the winner takes all. How far you want to go: 250 miles, 300, 400, or 675? There is no need to disrupt a social cruise when you can go all-out cannonball run. You just need a secure place to organize that kind of debauchery outside the prying eyes of the government and a fightclub mentality with a secret handshake. An extra scoop of responsibility for your own actions is required when you run out of talent in the desert, and there is no safety net.

It's a big desert with lots of routes. There's no sense in fiddling around with old people and playing cards if you wanna go fast.

Important Disclaimer:
The avatar known as Sportin'Wood does not condone mischief or reckless behavior, and participation in this online forum is for entertainment purposes only. Opinions, comments, and innuendos are works of fiction designed to inflate the ego of a fictional persona outside the basis of reality. All comments should be thoroughly discredited as false. Professional drivers on closed course. Tread Lightly errrrrr Shred Slightly. Disclaimer reference number OP6C

DWC

Reaction score
Did we get a RDP car count yet?

1. DWC/Mrs DWC
2. @jumppack / Mrs jump pack

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Perhaps a spirited trail ride is in order for all the thrill seekers. OnX offroad provides the route, and MotionX GPS can record the time and give a file to upload.

Throw some money in a hat, and the winner takes all. How far you want to go: 250 miles, 300, 400, or 675? There is no need to disrupt a social cruise when you can go all-out cannonball run. You just need a secure place to organize that kind of debauchery outside the prying eyes of the government and a fightclub mentality with a secret handshake. An extra scoop of responsibility for your own actions is required when you run out of talent in the desert, and there is no safety net.

It's a big desert with lots of routes. There's no sense in fiddling around with old people and playing cards if you wanna go fast.

Important Disclaimer:
The avatar known as Sportin'Wood does not condone mischief or reckless behavior, and participation in this online forum is for entertainment purposes only. Opinions, comments, and innuendos are works of fiction designed to inflate the ego of a fictional persona outside the basis of reality. All comments should be thoroughly discredited as false. Professional drivers on closed course. Tread Lightly errrrrr Shred Slightly. Disclaimer reference number OP6C

Didn’t know they had softwares to record and upload time.. we might have to do something like that.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Important Disclaimer:

We have that ride and idea mapped out and 4 of us did a trial-run proof of concept. We call it the Alamo 200 :D Havasu to Wayside @ Alamo Lake for gas and back. It is right about 200 miles. Depending on how sporty everyone is feeling, we can also have lunch @ Wayside since I am pretty sure we can record travel time only... or at worst do the math.

Based on a couple trips up towards Laughlin, we could also put a few potential routes together for 200-300 miles in a day depending on peoples appetite. There is a bad ass probably 15 mile stretch of pole line road east of 95 between Laughlin and Searchlight that has 3 separate lanes. We always have fun through there.

Last edited:

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score

Absolutely. Just don’t ask why no one said anything when they saw a guy hit your car in the parking lot and drive away, or the young, scared girl is getting bothered by a couple of drunk dudes at a party. People should just stop telling each other how to live their lives when it isn’t asked for, right? Don’t bother trying to take the keys from a drunk driver. After all, it’s really none of your business if he/she wants to live dangerously and potentially injure others.

Carry on.

Seriously, I hope everyone has a great time next weekend. Sad we won’t be able to make it this year, but looking forward to Christmas in our new home. We’ll be back South around NY weekend.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Didn’t know they had softwares to record and upload time.. we might have to do something like that.
Yep. Plenty of ways to do it now. If you can maintain some level of cell coverage, you even have choices for tracking. I've used a Sat based spot tracker for years; I stepped up a few years ago to a Garmin Inreach for a distress signal. The MotionX GPS app works well; I think I've been playing Underground Race with that for many years. Mostly, I Race against myself, but if you had a Hint hint hidden forum, you might be able to share files.

I think that the Polaris App will record and share files as well. Lots of choices.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Getting it back on track…..

1. DWC/Mrs DWC
3. RiverDave and 2 kids
4. Bails and 1 kid
5. HNL2LHC, Son and our Boss

Dunerking

Reaction score
Yep. Plenty of ways to do it now. If you can maintain some level of cell coverage, you even have choices for tracking. I've used a Sat based spot tracker for years; I stepped up a few years ago to a Garmin Inreach for a distress signal. The MotionX GPS app works well; I think I've been playing Underground Race with that for many years. Mostly, I Race against myself, but if you had a Hint hint hidden forum, you might be able to share files.

I think that the Polaris App will record and share files as well. Lots of choices.
Sounds like Strava for off-road!

DWC

Reaction score
Getting it back on track…..

1. DWC/Mrs DWC
3. RiverDave and 2 kids
4. Bails and 1 kid
5. HNL2LHC, Son and our Boss

1. DWC/Mrs DWC
3. RiverDave and 2 kids