WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Quick note on the Cyber Attacks

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I truly am sorry for the inconvenience of the Captcha when you log on to rdp.. It's a very effective way to keep those "bot" attacks out of the website and keep it online until I can figure out a more permanent solution. @Admin Dude is currently looking into all the options so we can go into the future without any further problems like this. On one hand it makes me a little sad that someone would go through all the trouble and the enormous expense involved with doing something like this. On the other if it's gonna happen, I'd rather it happen sooner than later so we can address it, get it behind us and move on.

I promise we are working on it..

I started this site way back in 2007, and I don't remember when (2012-13'ish?) we had to take it offline for a whole day to do some kinda upgrade. I remember the IT guy back then saying "Dave we took it offline, and the amount of people trying to login to the site never wavered."

He was pretty shocked that even though the site was down the amount of inquiries trying to get on stayed pretty consistent, and even went up a bit right before it went live again.

To take that out of tech speak and put it into laymen's terms, it means that the membership here is pretty fiercely loyal to the site. Throughout the last couple of days dealing with this has been pretty emotionally exhausting. I can't imagine how bad someones life has to suck to try and go out and hurt another persons livelihood. (let alone a bunch of people whom depend on our community).

Obviously during that time you start having all kinds of trains of thought with regard to that, and everyone has their .02 to say. Suggestions like "Just get rid of the P&G" were the most popular, and something I actually considered for a bit. I might launch a second "rdp" called RiverDavesPolitics, and just host a separate forum if it's gonna cause that much trouble, but I can honestly say I don't ever want it to go away.. I find it to be an extremely useful resource of catching the latest news and going ons.

If someone told me that I had to run a captcha on the front of this site I'd just assume it would knock about 2/3 the traffic off it of immediately.

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 2.01.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 2.04.09 PM.png

To kind of break down those numbers.. Yes I took a hit for the three days of the attacks, but what you are seeing at the end is the majority of the traffic came back even with a captcha..

The loyalty the members have to the site is once again "fierce" and it makes me very proud that in these modern "gotta have it now" times, that people are jumping through the hoops to get back on here. It really means a lot personally that the members enjoy the community enough to do that, and it's one of the reasons that we try to do so much for all the members on here.

I'll conclude it to say that I have had some amazing conversations, and even offers from advertisers to step up and offer $$ to make this go away. While we haven't solved the problem yet, we are still "workin on it." Thank you for having the patience while we are going through this, and thank you for the loyalty to the site, to not let a few little hoops drive you away.

To the guy that's doing it - Spend some more money buddy. Like I said the first time, "We will get through this, but you will be stupid forever."

RD

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
I navigated the captcha a couple of times when the site was struggling, but haven't since maybe noon yesterday. Unless it's because I just tend to stay logged in ??

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Glad to see it's working out!

Personally i don't have any issues with the captcha and couldn't imagine most people would either, But you never know until you have actually implemented, it's definitely a big deal for a site like this that deals in traffic.

Also, F the Haters, and Losers, go home to mommy you little bitches!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Glad to see it's working out!

Personally i don't have any issues with the captcha and couldn't imagine most people would either, But you never know until you have actually implemented, it's definitely a big deal for a site like this that deals in traffic.

Also, F the Haters, and Losers, go home to mommy you little bitches!

I think the main thing it is gonna do is fuck with my SEO if I leave it up. If you type in Hallett or any boat term for that matter we are always in the top 3. With the captcha (to my knowledge) I don’t believe it’s going to let the web crawlers in for seo because it doesn’t let anything in that doesn’t verify.

That would be the primary reason we have to step up to an expensive option to firewall against the attacks. We drag a lot of new members and a lot of seo because of the history of the site. It would be crippling in the future if I lose that, but not for the time being.

I can’t imagine someone spending the kinda money they are spending forever.. but honestly I don’t know who it is, and I couldn’t picture someone spending the ridiculous amount of money they have spent on lt already.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I think the main thing it is gonna do is fuck with my SEO if I leave it up. If you type in Hallett or any boat term for that matter we are always in the top 3. With the captcha (to my knowledge) I don’t believe it’s going to let the web crawlers in for seo because it doesn’t let anything in that doesn’t verify.

That would be the primary reason we have to step up to an expensive option to firewall against the attacks. We drag a lot of new members and a lot of seo because of the history of the site. It would be crippling in the future if I lose that, but not for the time being.

I can’t imagine someone spending the kinda money they are spending forever.. but honestly I don’t know who it is, and I couldn’t picture someone spending the ridiculous amount of money they have spent on lt already.

You would think there would have to be some way to whitelist the webcrawlers for SEO.... But everything has changed so much in the last 10 years i'm not sure how that works anymore.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

Has there been any contact from the people/persons/groups that are doing the attacking? Seems like their goal is a ransom thing, we will stop fucking with your site if you give us $100k etc

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
Would implementing 2FA after the issue? It has considerably helped our platform with bot trolling and it is easy to use with push auth or code.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I hate 2fa. I deal with that shit enough at work. That's one thing that would steer me away is texting codes or verifying emails to login

Serious question, how often are you logging in? I had to reset my password this weekend when we all got booted out because I haven't had to log-in in probably 3 years.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
“Fiercely loyal” yes, for sure. Been around here forever through “vacations” and all the stuff before and since.

Like the Chinese virus survivability, 98.99% of the people here are terrific and this community (thanks RD) is tied together in many ways including providing great daily content.

Let us know what we can do to keep RDP going

C08H18

Reaction score
I don't think we get to pick the images.. LOL. If we do than I'll make sure to use the good morning thread pics.

RD
ha
Select the images from yesterday's Good Morning thread ....

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
For everyone that has received the jab... If you turn on your phones Bluetooth and the search for CDCtrackingdevicexxxxxxxxx you can link up and not have to do the Captcha.

The X's are you SSN.

Pretty cool!

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
@factor authentication. You get a code sent to your e-mail or phone.

I could do that for password resets etc... but 90% of the traffic on this site is lurkers that watch the site. if I had to do that for them to see it, it would effectively kill us.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
For everyone that has received the jab... If you turn on your phones Bluetooth and the search for CDCtrackingdevicexxxxxxxxx you can link up and not have to do the Captcha.

The X's are you SSN.

Pretty cool!

LOL..

RD

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
The CAPTCHA is not the end of the world, but I’m getting when I go the the next thread in the lounge?

Cobalt232

Reaction score
DDOS attacks aren't that hard to pull off. There are lots of 'services' for hire on 4chan that you just make a payment and you can DDOS (or other more serioussite attacks) all you want.

Heylam

Reaction score
I was wondering why RD says someone has spent a lot of money on the attack. Didn’t realize there were people you could hire to do it for you.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I truly am sorry for the inconvenience of the Captcha when you log on to rdp.. It's a very effective way to keep those "bot" attacks out of the website and keep it online until I can figure out a more permanent solution. @Admin Dude is currently looking into all the options so we can go into the future without any further problems like this. On one hand it makes me a little sad that someone would go through all the trouble and the enormous expense involved with doing something like this. On the other if it's gonna happen, I'd rather it happen sooner than later so we can address it, get it behind us and move on.

I promise we are working on it..

I started this site way back in 2007, and I don't remember when (2012-13'ish?) we had to take it offline for a whole day to do some kinda upgrade. I remember the IT guy back then saying "Dave we took it offline, and the amount of people trying to login to the site never wavered."

He was pretty shocked that even though the site was down the amount of inquiries trying to get on stayed pretty consistent, and even went up a bit right before it went live again.

To take that out of tech speak and put it into laymen's terms, it means that the membership here is pretty fiercely loyal to the site. Throughout the last couple of days dealing with this has been pretty emotionally exhausting. I can't imagine how bad someones life has to suck to try and go out and hurt another persons livelihood. (let alone a bunch of people whom depend on our community).

Obviously during that time you start having all kinds of trains of thought with regard to that, and everyone has their .02 to say. Suggestions like "Just get rid of the P&G" were the most popular, and something I actually considered for a bit. I might launch a second "rdp" called RiverDavesPolitics, and just host a separate forum if it's gonna cause that much trouble, but I can honestly say I don't ever want it to go away.. I find it to be an extremely useful resource of catching the latest news and going ons.

If someone told me that I had to run a captcha on the front of this site I'd just assume it would knock about 2/3 the traffic off it of immediately.

View attachment 1052620 View attachment 1052621

To kind of break down those numbers.. Yes I took a hit for the three days of the attacks, but what you are seeing at the end is the majority of the traffic came back even with a captcha..

The loyalty the members have to the site is once again "fierce" and it makes me very proud that in these modern "gotta have it now" times, that people are jumping through the hoops to get back on here. It really means a lot personally that the members enjoy the community enough to do that, and it's one of the reasons that we try to do so much for all the members on here.

I'll conclude it to say that I have had some amazing conversations, and even offers from advertisers to step up and offer $$ to make this go away. While we haven't solved the problem yet, we are still "workin on it." Thank you for having the patience while we are going through this, and thank you for the loyalty to the site, to not let a few little hoops drive you away.

To the guy that's doing it - Spend some more money buddy. Like I said the first time, "We will get through this, but you will be stupid forever."

RD
Huge fan of your site Dave. Its a drug baby... life wouldn't be as good without it.... keep your chin up, just a blip.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
DDOS attacks aren't that hard to pull off. There are lots of 'services' for hire on 4chan that you just make a payment and you can DDOS (or other more serioussite attacks) all you want.

There are other threads where they described the type of attacks that they were, and they weren't the typical ones you would think. The tech guys (smarter than me) estimated a couple thousand bucks an hour to do what they were doing.

You can read about it if you search "admin dude" posts.

RD

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Now on my iPad, when attempting to get on RDP, I’m getting “Checking your browser before accessing riverdavesplace.com”. It stays on that message. But, I’m able to access RDP on my iPhone 7 without any problem. There’s even no airplanes. Both devices are using Safari for the browser. Weird?