WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tales Of A Mercenary Mechanic

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
20220901_153332.jpg

The guy doing the work is pretty cool. He runs this rig for a larger company. The manager guy is all about the money coming in. I understand that, and I believe there are corporate type bonuses to be made. I just don't get the attitude. Operator should be finishing up about now. I feel bad he has to work late, he has to drop of the rig still, and he lives halfway down the hill towards Phoenix.

Bottom line: Job got finished. A guy I used to work for said it best "What's the most important thing about the job? Making sure we all get paid."

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, I can't post the video I took, but today was a small triumph. Last week my friend Opie called me, and asked if I could get his son's Bronco running. Long story short, kid has a company truck, but only a motorcycle...and winter's coming. His grandfather left him an 81 Bronco. Grandpa was a mechanic, no one else in the family is...and shouldn't try.

A carb had been swapped, distributor pulled and much fuckery. Last driven 10+ years ago. Last "running" 5 years back...only idled, died when put in gear.

Figured out what cam/firing order, got a close approximation of tdc...popped and farted, but something. Tuesday morning I went and cleaned the carb, reset to throttle bracket from the carb swap...fired and ran. Fuel was crap, plugs fouled and oil diluted from fuel...they'd tried a lot before I got there.
Told the 20yo kid to swap plugs and change oil, drain as much of the tank as he could. Fresh gas and it lit off for him.

Just got back from there. Dialled the 600 Edelbrock and the timing. Ran it, hot restart, and sent him on a test drive with his brother. Came back smiling! He then took his mom for a ride...it was her dad's.

This girl I've known for 8-9 years. She's a bit "rough" we'll say. I watched a drunk grab her ass at a concert, and she knocked him out...while her husband and I watched...she isn't the cuddly, sweet, farmgirl. She'll mess you up.

She came up and thanked me, tears in her eyes...it almost scared me. It was pretty cool though.

It may be a piece of junk I'm working on, but you never know what it means to someone else. I'd have never pegged her for the sentimental type...
It's a good Sunday.

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
Your stories, to a lesser extent, reminds of my local mechanic. He does have a shop though. After a few trips he opened up. I usually stick around and BS for a bit. Later, he talked about losing his wife to cancer and he had kids… really heart felt. Father’s Day that week was that Sunday that I picked up the car. Texted me on Sunday to wish me a happy Father’s Day. That doesn’t happen in “the city”. There are still good people out there like yourself. Keep it up. Karma pays.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Your stories, to a lesser extent, reminds of my local mechanic. He does have a shop though. After a few trips he opened up. I usually stick around and BS for a bit. Later, he talked about losing his wife to cancer and he had kids… really heart felt. Father’s Day that week was that Sunday that I picked up the car. Texted me on Sunday to wish me a happy Father’s Day. That doesn’t happen in “the city”. There are still good people out there like yourself. Keep it up. Karma pays.
Karma is both good and bad...the balance. I had my ass handed to me for things I'd done. Apparently, someone saw fit for me to continue living...and so the pendulum swung. The guy that called me is also a guy of a checkered past. He runs a thriving business now, was in the house doing a bid for stonework on a mansion being built.

The past makes us who we are, but it isn't what we are. I never saw it in the big city, I was always too busy to see things I guess.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Here's another tale of fuckery from this week. Big Chevy C7500, dead on the side of the road. Puked out a bunch of ATF because some fucktard didn't have the right E-clip for the cooler line. I have no clue how long it had been on the road like this, but this day was it's last! The heavy tows aren't cheap, about 400$ just to show up and hitch. If I could get it to the yard, I could order the clip...
20220930_122616.jpg

The tiny clip they may have had holding one of the three detent areas. I did that, and fished some bailing wire through the others. Added a gallon of ATF, and drove it 10 miles back to the yard. Clip should be in the deliveries tomorrow, and really fixed then.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Yesterday sucked...
20221003_104007.jpg

What you're looking at is one of four wheels I had to break down and mount new skins on. Neighbor bought a tool set to do them a few years back. The dohickey in the middle has a forked casting with rollers. When you break the beads (sometimes requiring a sledge hammer) you put the roller side down against the sidewall, with the handle away from center. You then stomp it in with boots...like kickstarting a panhead. When the forked rollers are now in the tire, you pull the handle up. Another roller starts to engage the inside of the rim, and the handle gets tight. At that point, you stand on the sidewall opposite of the tool, and that pushes the sidewall into the drop center of the rim, allowing you to pull the tire off that side. They have another tool with a roller for the other side, but big tire spoons work fine.

On a steel rim, it takes me about 10 minutes no to dismount and mount a 22.5. Alcoas, like the big coaches or fancy trucks, they take a bit longer. I have to but corrugated cardboard where the roller or spoon may mar the rim, and also do the whole job on a packing blanket so as not to scratch the face.

This morning my buddy called me up, customer dropped off a super 10 dump...
20221004_094049.jpg

"It overheats"...that's the info given.
These things have a fan clutch that can give issues, so I start there. They have an air actuated clutch...like a disc the size of a Honda Civic. Air line looked good, powered the solenoid, clutch goes bang...not the issue. Checked the radiator, and it's low. Like 5 gallons low on a 10 gallon system! Call the owner, "It boils the water out when we refill it" so I ask "Does it get checked in the morning, or only after it overheats?"
Crickets
Pressure tested the radiator, and a heater hose is full stream. This is only at 7psi! Easy fix, when the problem is known. Drained the water from the radiator, and put in antifreeze. The next few weeks and it could get really expensive! Checked the oil...just a little low, like 3 gallons. To be fair, I think it holds 12, but still. On heavies and even medium duties, oil plays a roll in the cooling. Most run oil to water heat exchangers. Low oil means the oil is cycling though the pan quicker. More time working and getting hot, less time to cool. We all know low coolant is an issue.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
"Does it get checked in the morning, or only after it overheats?"

Nice!!! LOL

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We need an update on the "Mover" unless I missed it somewhere.
The Monkey Mover is currently in a state of nudity. Dave had made the decision to go "Full Monty". So, calls were made to painters, and one of the couple that were interested has been picked. He's a smaller shop, but monsoon season has backed him up a little. I can't blame it all on the weather or him, as I've had some non-related things keeping me in the house in the evenings.

The next time the Mover is seen, it's new "culturally and gender diverse" identity will be shared🤣 I'm going with a pink and purple motif!

In all honesty, it's going Sahara tan...kind of like a baby Jeep.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, some of you may remember a page or three back, I did a gear box for the machine I refer to as the Mangler. It's a big PTO driven insulation spraying dohickey. It was a temporary repair while they got a new one. About every three weeks, I get a call, "truck xxxx is down again".
Everytime, I assume my bandaid has given up the ghost.
Much to my shock, it hasn't!
Three weeks ago it sheared the key that drives the gear box. In order for it to do that, the tines "fluffing" the insulation need to stop...usually by a rock or utility knife getting caught in the hopper.
The tines are driven by hydraulic motors, which are powered by hydraulic pumps spun by the PTO assembly. There is also a large, high cfm vacuum that is belt driven.
When something is stuck, it makes a God awful noise, and crap breaks. Over the 7 months since I patched the box, it has eaten sprockets, the impeller for the vacuum, a three way gear box and numerous chains. The keyway was the first "upstream" of the box...until the other day.
20221007_132831.jpg

Well, keyway held...this is the end that attaches to the PTO itself on the side of a big Allison trans. These are 1310 u-joints. Not small, not massive, but pretty stout for equipment use. Something stopped the machine. The operators claimed it happened when they fired it up in the morning...but the motor was still warm, and the hoppers were cleaned out. They dug out whatever jambed it up.

A spare shaft has been made for this thing already, sitting in storage for a year or more. I put the new one in...but it was made with the ends opposite. Had to re-adjust the DPF diverted to clear...in the mud, on the jobsite.
20221006_104003.jpg

Not much clearance, but enough. It's running again. Other shaft is going to the shop to get rebuilt.
The gearbox is working, but the bearings are knocked out pretty bad. They said they have a new one on order...7 months! On a repair I said I couldn't make any promises on! Pretty proud of that, but when it blows, it could be ugly.

Last edited:

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
Well, some of you may remember a page or three back, I did a gear box for the machine I refer to as the Mangler. It's a big PTO driven insulation spraying dohickey. It was a temporary repair while they got a new one. About every three weeks, I get a call, "truck xxxx is down again".
Everytime, I assume my bandaid has given up the ghost.
Much to my shock, it hasn't!
Three weeks ago it sheared the key that drives the gear box. In order for it to do that, the tines "fluffing" the insulation need to stop...usually by a rock or utility knife getting caught in the hopper.
The tines are driven by hydraulic motors, which are powered by hydraulic pumps spun by the PTO assembly. There is also a large, high cfm vacuum that is belt driven.
When something is stuck, it makes a God awful noise, and crap breaks. Over the 7 months since I patched the box, it has eaten sprockets, the impeller for the vacuum, a three way gear box and numerous chains. The keyway was the first "upstream" of the box...until the other day. View attachment 1161488
Well, keyway held...this is the end that attaches to the PTO itself on the side of a big Allison trans. These are 1310 u-joints. Not small, not massive, but pretty stout for equipment use. Something stopped the machine. The operators claimed it happened when they fired it up in the morning...but the motor was still warm, and the hoppers were cleaned out. They dug out whatever jambed it up.

A spare shaft has been made for this thing already, sitting in storage for a year or more. I put the new one in...but it was made with the ends opposite. Had to re-adjust the DPF diverted to clear...in the mud, on the jobsite. View attachment 1161493
Not much clearance, but enough. It's running again. Other shaft is going to the shop to get rebuilt.
The gearbox is working, but the bearings are knocked out pretty bad. They said they have a new one on order...7 months! On a repair I said I couldn't make any promises on! Pretty proud of that, but when it blows, it could be ugly.
I repaired heavy equipment foe 10 years at a quarry and mud SUX! Especially the older you get!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hey did the monkey mover ever end up at a paint shop? 😍😍

Still no hurry but I just want to make sure I can pay for it before I go broke. 🤪🤪

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Updates please!
Hasn't been much. I told boss man, RD, that I messed up big time. I missed the window to get the MM into paint, and another car was pulled in.
Fully my fault, had some relatively major changes around the house here, and I dropped the ball. MM was supposed to go in after a Chevelle, but there was an issue with that car. F'r would be done, or close to it...

I fk'd up, and now it's screwing with other people's stuff. I don't like it at all.

4Waters

Reaction score
Hasn't been much. I told boss man, RD, that I messed up big time. I missed the window to get the MM into paint, and another car was pulled in.
Fully my fault, had some relatively major changes around the house here, and I dropped the ball. MM was supposed to go in after a Chevelle, but there was an issue with that car. F'r would be done, or close to it...

I fk'd up, and now it's screwing with other people's stuff. I don't like it at all.
So what you are saying is you are human, shit happens and you owned up to it because you are a man of your word 👍

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
So what you are saying is you are human, shit happens and you owned up to it because you are a man of your word 👍
I don't know about that...but I can tell you on social media we tend to not share everything. At times, I share more than I should...things aren't always coming up Aces here. Usually though, that stuff can be separated.

There are times I'm definitely more in my element around steel and tools. Things make more sense, and logic is more apparent to me. Humans aren't the same. At times I think maybe if I were smarter I could navigate that stuff...Try as I might, all it does is keep me away from the only things I am pretty good at.

Sorry to be cryptic about it, but not really ready to update the world. On this thread, I think most people have a pretty good idea of who I am and why. A little bit "closer" group if it were.

4Waters

Reaction score
I don't know about that...but I can tell you on social media we tend to not share everything. At times, I share more than I should...things aren't always coming up Aces here. Usually though, that stuff can be separated.

There are times I'm definitely more in my element around steel and tools. Things make more sense, and logic is more apparent to me. Humans aren't the same. At times I think maybe if I were smarter I could navigate that stuff...Try as I might, all it does is keep me away from the only things I am pretty good at.

Sorry to be cryptic about it, but not really ready to update the world. On this thread, I think most people have a pretty good idea of who I am and why. A little bit "closer" group if it were.
Someone that owns up to a mistake is rare, I recently got another promotion but my pay didn't increase, turns out that someone in HR forgot to send an email to payroll, that person personally called me and apologized for their mistake, meant a lot to me, her mistake cost me about 500.00 but I couldn't in my mind rip her for it because she owned up to it. It's a rare breed now.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I’m not worried about it lol..

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Last week was a week of pure fuckery. An incredible amount of crap done, to get people out of binds, trying to do so before 11am each day...and the overnight Temps are below freezing now.
20221202_112129.jpg

All this crap had to come off. Guy took on a job he has no business in. Mechanical restoration of a 70 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4. It was the lady's dad's, he bought new. Sweet little shortbox, 350/350 factory AC. Anyways, they get it together, run it, and it's pumping coolant. Cylinders 1 and 8. Fresh motor...guy assembled truck front group after installing said motor complete.
He wanted to disassemble and repair.
Owner wants truck back.
Guy who took job is screwed...

7am...40 in his shop, get to it.
20221202_093758.jpg

Head bolts came out "light", like under torqued. Some sort of sealant was used around the front and rear water jackets. I think either someone missed the final torque, or the sealant didn't allow even torque. Guy who took the job had another set of heads done by the builder.
20221207_145533.jpg

The guy in charge kept pestering me, "it has to look super clean"...OK, I understand. It will look like I haven't done anything. My God, the wiring is horrendous, one wheel well is high gloss spray bomb and the other is semi...trust me sir, it's all you.
20221209_134729.jpg

Got it fired, and off to the muffler shop.

This happened on a different pig. 5.70 gears, in a big ass Eaton axle..."makes some crunchy noises sometimes". Really? No shit...

20221208_150232.jpg

Waiting on parts...big expensive parts.

4Waters

Reaction score
Last week was a week of pure fuckery. An incredible amount of crap done, to get people out of binds, trying to do so before 11am each day...and the overnight Temps are below freezing now.
View attachment 1180006
All this crap had to come off. Guy took on a job he has no business in. Mechanical restoration of a 70 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4. It was the lady's dad's, he bought new. Sweet little shortbox, 350/350 factory AC. Anyways, they get it together, run it, and it's pumping coolant. Cylinders 1 and 8. Fresh motor...guy assembled truck front group after installing said motor complete.
He wanted to disassemble and repair.
Owner wants truck back.
Guy who took job is screwed...

7am...40 in his shop, get to it. View attachment 1180016
Head bolts came out "light", like under torqued. Some sort of sealant was used around the front and rear water jackets. I think either someone missed the final torque, or the sealant didn't allow even torque. Guy who took the job had another set of heads done by the builder. View attachment 1180020
The guy in charge kept pestering me, "it has to look super clean"...OK, I understand. It will look like I haven't done anything. My God, the wiring is horrendous, one wheel well is high gloss spray bomb and the other is semi...trust me sir, it's all you.
View attachment 1180022
Got it fired, and off to the muffler shop.

This happened on a different pig. 5.70 gears, in a big ass Eaton axle..."makes some crunchy noises sometimes". Really? No shit...

View attachment 1180027
Waiting on parts...big expensive parts.
"Crunchy noises" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
70 1/2 ton 4x4 K/10 with factory A/C...super happy that's been saved!

Dad had one just like that, His was piss yellow though...

94768843.jpg

They are simply one of the best looking 4x4's IMO.

As always, I hope the people you work for appreciate you....🤘

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
70 1/2 ton 4x4 K/10 with factory A/C...super happy that's been saved!

Dad had one just like that, His was piss yellow though...

94768843.jpg

They are simply one of the best looking 4x4's IMO.

As always, I hope the people you work for appreciate you....🤘
What I find really cool about this particular truck, the lady has no interest in making it pretty. Good metal, no rust, but dented and dinged up. Her father used it in Flagstaff to hunt and cut firewood. It's perfect!

As for appreciation, the shops I am a "hired gun" for don't. Oddly, I usually end up meeting the customers, and they have no clue what part I played. That's fine, they seem happy. In this case, I think it's on the down-low that there was an issue. I find it comical though, the guy was so worried about scratches or damage...the last flathead motor I installed was about a 15k piece, into a car with a black firewall painted 50 years ago...and then I had to fit and color match the front group. I think he must only think of me as the guy that does heavy, dirty crap his guys won't touch.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
What I find really cool about this particular truck, the lady has no interest in making it pretty. Good metal, no rust, but dented and dinged up. Her father used it in Flagstaff to hunt and cut firewood. It's perfect!

As for appreciation, the shops I am a "hired gun" for don't. Oddly, I usually end up meeting the customers, and they have no clue what part I played. That's fine, they seem happy. In this case, I think it's on the down-low that there was an issue. I find it comical though, the guy was so worried about scratches or damage...the last flathead motor I installed was about a 15k piece, into a car with a black firewall painted 50 years ago...and then I had to fit and color match the front group. I think he must only think of me as the guy that does heavy, dirty crap his guys won't touch.

I'm not that proud, I charge a shitload to clean up other people's messes, they can take all the glory as long as I get paid....😁

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Mechanical fukery and a brief insight into my days of late.
Last week I posted in another thread some broken Cummins parts. Freightliner with a 6.7 ISB, engine miss. Codes point to number 3, and occasionally 6. Ohm out the harness, looks good to injectors. Scanner the ecm and know injectors are fine from that side. Minor exploratory surgery...find the valve stem and a broken spring on #3 intake. Now, I'm just a merc, shop owner needs to call owner.
Owner wants it fixed, does not want to pay 32k for a crate motor. I figure a head and a piston minimum. Flash forward to Thursday...
7am, drop younger son off at 0 period in town. Head to shop to start deeper exploration. Need it apart by Friday morning to get parts coming quickly.
20230201_160956.jpg

9:30am, truck nosed in a cold shop, masked to doors for weather...no heater. Nose off and ready to rock.
11:30am, piles of parts, but barely making a dent. Have to pick up other son. He's had a rough day, not leaving him alone. Sometimes things are a bitch we never saw coming...
6pm, wife gets home with first son I dropped off 11 hours ago. I have dinner ready, life's good...ish. Son with bad day, has some spasms.
Not leaving to finish "surgery" until things settle down. Need to help family, before business bs. All is calm about 9:30pm...

Back at it at 10pm. Worked until 2:30am Friday. Came home, showered, slept until 6:15...took my son to 0 period. Start the next cycle.
8am Friday...
20230203_120738.jpg
Head's off, start making the parts list. Head is junk. Piston will go on the wall of broken parts. Cylinder walls are fine. Head gasket was leaking on 6 as well. Under 11 hours. Need to drop the pan and pull the slug Monday, and clean a lot of parts. By 10 am, list was on the desk, and phone calls being made. By 11:30, done for the week.
20230203_120729.jpg

Life ain't all roses. Sometimes you have to juggle chainsaws. At least my "work" isn't real high stress, and flexible to some extent. Otherwise I don't think I could do the things I do. And yes, the money is good on this one. Noone else would touch it for at least 2 weeks.

Son is doing good now. We're just working on some things to help him out. Unfortunately, I'm not good with people. Much better with machinery and metal:confused:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The Monkey Mover is currently in a state of nudity. Dave had made the decision to go "Full Monty". So, calls were made to painters, and one of the couple that were interested has been picked. He's a smaller shop, but monsoon season has backed him up a little. I can't blame it all on the weather or him, as I've had some non-related things keeping me in the house in the evenings.

The next time the Mover is seen, it's new "culturally and gender diverse" identity will be shared🤣 I'm going with a pink and purple motif!

In all honesty, it's going Sahara tan...kind of like a baby Jeep.

Looking forward to it!! My wife asks me all the time about it

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: A fellow of infinite jest..."

I name this piston "Yorick"...apparently it was fond of knock-knock jokes. The other 5 cylinders didn't see the humor. After trying to be cheap bastards, I convinced the shop and truck owners to bite the bullet, and order stuff from Freightliner in Phoenix.

The dealer actually cut the shop a break, same price as stuff from Ebay or online. Two bonuses, it'll be here tomorrow afternoon, and it's the right parts. I was more worried about waiting 4-5 days just to open stuff up and see it was wrong.

20230206_150138.jpg

redone76

Reaction score
"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: A fellow of infinite jest..."

I name this piston "Yorick"...apparently it was fond of knock-knock jokes. The other 5 cylinders didn't see the humor. After trying to be cheap bastards, I convinced the shop and truck owners to bite the bullet, and order stuff from Freightliner in Phoenix.

The dealer actually cut the shop a break, same price as stuff from Ebay or online. Two bonuses, it'll be here tomorrow afternoon, and it's the right parts. I was more worried about waiting 4-5 days just to open stuff up and see it was wrong.

View attachment 1196894
Lovely ashtray you have there!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Last week was a shit-show of epic proportion. I've done work on Dodge Rams with Cummins motors, and I've done stuff on old school "Big Cam" motors. These ISB things, suck balls, at least in a baby Freightliner. The rear cylinders are under the cowl, the turbo flange bolts are at a weird/stupid angle, and the smog stuff is bigger. Advantage though, pulling the oil pan took about 10 minutes, so that's good.
20230207_221924.jpg

Shiny new piston and ring set. Floating pins, so they use a snap ring on either side to retain it in the piston. The bearings looked good, but I know the upper had to be hammered, literally, by the piston to head clearance being removed. So, new rod bearings as well.
20230208_110646.jpg

Near 4k in parts, and they don't throw in galley plugs! Getting these out of the old head was a chore. Their thread sealant is stout. 36" 1/2" drive ratchet, and me kicking it! By this time, the rod and piston were hung, torqued and the pan back on. I used a cherry picker to put the head back on. Slow, but damn heavy and don't want to damage the gasket.
20230210_093106.jpg

By Thursday night, it looked like this. Injectors had to be in before adjusting valves...yes, a 2014 with adjustable valves.
20230201_160956.jpg

By Friday afternoon, it was looking good....then I pulled the intercooler back off. Was in a hurry and forgot the helper kid hadn't pressure washed it. While he did that, I finished plugging things in and routing wires.
After priming the fuel system, it lit right off, and idled smooth...for about 30 seconds:oops:

The clattering made me thing I left a socket in the pan! I about shit...I was horrified. It did it for about a minute, then smooth as could be. Well, it turns out that these things can get real bad "fuel knock" from both air in the lines, as well as oil in the cylinders. When it was rattling, she was smoking like a cold Detroit from 1962.

She pulled out of the shop, and left "naked" until Monday. Yesterday she got new batteries, lit right off, and sounded good. It was 32 degrees, but I was happy. One small leak from the turbo oil return, and got that handled.

Now, the truck is showing 112,000 miles on the clock. The hourmeter is one you really have to look at though. It has 13,000 hours of run time! They run a PTO at 1600 RPM. The fleet service guys figure it at hours x 60 to get the equivalent. So, close to 800k. This crew can break an anvil. Cummins still not too shabby.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, weirdness we can all (mostly) relate to. Trailer suspension. Most tandem axle trailers run two leaf springs, rigid mounted at the front of on spring, and the rear of the other. They are connected with shackles to a pivot they call an equalizer...like a tetertotter. This means you have a total of 7 pivoting pieces on each side. Every bump moves those pieces before you feel it in the hitch.
20230412_173445.jpg
20230412_173344.jpg

Each pivot runs a bushing, and a bolt. Some springs are setup with bronze, and so are some equalizers. "Usually", not often found on lighter trailers. This one had nylon type bushings. In some cases you can install a bronze type, but then hardware becomes an issue.

Getting the old bushings out isn't too bad. By the time they are needed, they come out easy. From experience, and having to buy extras, I bought a small driver kit a couple years ago. I don't use it often, but happy I have it.
20230412_174000.jpg

Now, reinstalling stuff: Some people aren't too bright. If you notice, the bolts are knurled. Often, people will stick a wrench on the inside, and run them out with an impact. Makes the hole big. Same if you install the new stuff wrong. About a year ago I bought a little tool to help me on stuff like this...
20230412_172501.jpg

It's about a 10" offset drive. It is impact rated, and you can really smash your hand, but...
20230412_172325.jpg

...I can watch the knurling go into it's press, and not have to lay directly beneath it. Before the safety/OSHA people yell about the 5$ jack stand, it's just to hold the leaf pack. The trailer is supported at the outer corners. These type of stands are really handy for positioning things when by yourself.

Brakes were inspected, and pivot points and contact points greased. These axles were the drilled type with zerks. They work fine, but I dislike one thing...they get too much grease at times. I've had people hydraulic the seals out greasing them. More common though, especially with river runners through the desert, the grease expands when hot. When it's hot, it's more liquid...and it pushes by the seals. If caught in time, no worries. It can get grease on the brake shoes though.
No pics of any of that stuff, my hands were greasy.

This one had had a blowout at one time. It folded the fender a little. It'll eventually start to rust, as it holds mud and such.
20230413_093309.jpg

My chinesium adjustable bender thing...9" wrench with some old Ford leaf spring welded on. Got it a lot closer and then dollied it a little.

Sure, some guys can have a 6 liter supercharged motor swapped by noon...but my commute is better😁

500bbc

Reaction score
Is there any way to lube the pivot points that have no zerks without disassembly?

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Is there any way to lube the pivot points that have no zeros without disassembly?
Nope, the bushings just kind of become sacrificial. These are "3500#" type axle and spring assemblies...like most car or smaller utility trailers. I have seen some of these pins drilled for zerks though, and that can be an option. On some trailers though, the fittings line up with the bulge of the tire. Depending on weight carried and intended use, scrub and flex gets to be an issue.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
So no stainless steel fender upgrade on this? Please tell me it is at least a triple axle….LOL Looking good Kevin!!!! 👍

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Nope, the bushings just kind of become sacrificial. These are "3500#" type axle and spring assemblies...like most car or smaller utility trailers. I have seen some of these pins drilled for zerks though, and that can be an option. On some trailers though, the fittings line up with the bulge of the tire. Depending on weight carried and intended use, scrub and flex gets to be an issue.
Awesome job Monkey! So this has been my focus of research over the last couple weeks. Like you said if you get what suppliers deem "heavy duty" you can get the brass bushings and "wet bolts".

So what i have seen to combat the bulge/scrub/flex issue (because i was thinking the same thing) is flipping the shackles so the zerk is to the inside.

(Haha if you have seen the "what? no way!" Guy on Instagram that was my reaction) haha🤦🏼‍♂️

It makes it less convenient for greasing but saves the zerk.

So there is that option @500bbc otherwise monkey hit the nail on the head theyre sacrificial.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Awesome job Monkey! So this has been my focus of research over the last couple weeks. Like you said if you get what suppliers deem "heavy duty" you can get the brass bushings and "wet bolts".

So what i have seen to combat the bulge/scrub/flex issue (because i was thinking the same thing) is flipping the shackles so the zerk is to the inside.

(Haha if you have seen the "what? no way!" Guy on Instagram that was my reaction) haha🤦🏼‍♂️

It makes it less convenient for greasing but saves the zerk.

So there is that option @500bbc otherwise monkey hit the nail on the head theyre sacrificial.
The problem with flipping the bolts is the depth of the locking nut on the back side. They are thicker than the bolt head, and then the run through of the bolt as well. If doing a trick setup, I'd guess you could counter bore the head, and install a needle style fitting. That would be some triple axle V-drive stuff though🤣

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
20230427_165339.jpg

Redneck bead breaker! I tried on the neighbor's tire machine...all it did is wad up the side wall. It may be the arc is too wide for a 14" rim, the sidewalls flimsy, or the fact these tires have been on these rims over 10 years. Could be the combination?
Brought them home, and fired off the 56 Massey. Basically, push down, lift, rotate, repeat. Once the beads were broken, tire spoons and profanity.
20230427_181255.jpg

Pulling off bad tires, not worried about burrs. New tires going on? Don't want issues. Dune people and city folk don't find rocks like what we see here. Nicked rims are common. Before I clean the bead surface, the outer lip gets checked and burrs filed.
20230428_134154.jpg

These are the biggest tires the intraweb says will clear. They rub on full compression...found out for sure on a "test flight", and verified with my son driving and me leaning on a bumpy turn. Should be good.
I want one now. Wierd, never did before, but it was nice that my son was part of the testing program. I think that's why...weird, I know.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Little trick for stubborn race removal. Bearing races get pressed in sometimes really tight. Sometimes, I think they oxidize a touch and swell after. Sometimes, the steel race is pressed into an aluminum piece that feels like it may snap while pressing out.
Old school trick used often on tractors, and occasionally on other crap:
20230429_191259.jpg

Use a mig and run a bead around the inside. Obviously, it needn't be pretty. It pulls in the race a hair, shrinks it. It then comes out pretty easy. While setting up for this, put the new one in the freezer. Once the old one is out, tap the new, cold, bearing into the still warm housing. It's worked every time I've had to try it.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Little trick for stubborn race removal. Bearing races get pressed in sometimes really tight. Sometimes, I think they oxidize a touch and swell after. Sometimes, the steel race is pressed into an aluminum piece that feels like it may snap while pressing out.
Old school trick used often on tractors, and occasionally on other crap:
View attachment 1224566
Use a mig and run a bead around the inside. Obviously, it needn't be pretty. It pulls in the race a hair, shrinks it. It then comes out pretty easy. While setting up for this, put the new one in the freezer. Once the old one is out, tap the new, cold, bearing into the still warm housing. It's worked every time I've had to try it.

And who says mechanics arent scientists?! Thermodynamics at work!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
20230413_144014.jpg
20230413_143958.jpg

Same Polaris 800 with the tires (and wheel bearing). Two engine issues, running rough, and backfire on decel. Throttle cable end into throttle body was wonky and loose, so got that figured. It had a bad exhaust leak near the flange. Polaris engineers should get an award for their stupidity. The inner bolts are a complete bitch to get out.

At first, I figured I'd just order a new pipe...Damn pipe is 379$...ahh no.
Welded up and reinstalled.
Apparently, backpressure must play a roll. First test run, no farting or popping.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread! I like the name! 😂 there’s really not a good name that describes what we do imo. Everyone always asks “so what do you do?” I dunno I fix shit when needed?? Whatever piece of equipment it may be not just this or that.
E786CFD3-0CF9-4374-AC9A-C4B2FD626410.jpeg
1B5EAECB-5410-49E8-AD53-007D70A42A6C.jpeg
F41392CC-0895-4B9D-97B8-9EF8F1976655.jpeg
Fortunate to be inside a cab today. Until something shits the bed that is 😂.