WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Building a LED sign truck from scratch..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
An off-road drive-In theater this winter might be cool.

I'm guessing you can rent to the race promoters for something.

Super Bowl for someone that wants the big screen and big sound. Offroad events.. on water events (like jaws playing to the shallows). B day parties for kids..

It’s main stay though would be 24:7 advertising for businesses in LHC or?? If we decide to take it somewhere.

Being built with the idea that you can fire it up and leave it for 2-3 days at a time if needed. If I’m havasu I plan on moving it every 24-48 hrs depending on location.

I went way overkill on the generator otherwise it could self sustain for a week at a time if needed. I’d rather have the extra power and burn a little extra fuel though.. totally worth it for the extras ya get.

Anyhow bunker bar is on my call list for a late night movie night kinda deal? Or maybe we just have an rdp event in the desert? We will see..

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’m not sure what a ad campaign would be worth on a truck like this.. I have seen the billboard trucks.. “blah”

I was thinking use my film guy 5-7’ish second second vid per ad / animation is key. Produced by us, put on a Main Street either Monday thru Friday? Or Friday thru Sunday? Depending on seasons and customers..

What would ya charge for something like that? I got a few ideas.. Eric has a few ideas.. lol. Im Guessing somewhere in the middle?

What do you think?

Did I just piss in the wind? Or am I building another truck right after this one.

My original intention of building this thing was solely rdp / TRDP. But now that its Coming together I am starting to see the light here.

I think this thing can be very viable..

RD

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
Are you trying to turn Havasu into Socal? I can see using it for events and parties, but parking it around town everyday is a little much.

All we need now is taco and elote cart's on every corner! 😱
RD is just trying to fill in for this missing Havasu icon😄

1382908_583646358337854_1834496057_n.jpg

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
I’m not sure what a ad campaign would be worth on a truck like this.. I have seen the billboard trucks.. “blah”

I was thinking use my film guy 5-7’ish second second vid per ad / animation is key. Produced by us, put on a Main Street either Monday thru Friday? Or Friday thru Sunday? Depending on seasons and customers..

What would ya charge for something like that? I got a few ideas.. Eric has a few ideas.. lol. Im Guessing somewhere in the middle?

What do you think?

Did I just piss in the wind? Or am I building another truck right after this one.

My original intention of building this thing was solely rdp / TRDP. But now that its Coming together I am starting to see the light here.

I think this thing can be very viable..

RD
You should check the prices in Vegas and go from there ballon fest is a money maker

Ladsm

Reaction score
I am sure local bars with live music and strip clubs would buy some ad time. Just need to find a teenager with a clean DL to drive around at night with hotties dancing on the LED

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
There is a market for this type of thing, is that market in havasu? I dunno, but it has wheels under it so if not you put it where the money is. I have a friend who does a similar type business on the side but he’s uses big projectors and flashes up the sides of buildings. You might want to consider adding a projector system to this aswell so you could have the potential to flash a large wall/building you’re parked next to. I’m guessing you could do something on the cheap with a little epson projector from staples, but if you want to spend money like an asshole check out some of the big laser projectors by Christie. 😉

Aswell you could build out a pontoon setup for the screens you have and do a drive in on the water, or maybe turn copper canyon into a drive in at night with your new projector.

<—WW can spend other peoples money like asshole really well.👅

Photo to promote thought.

5E5476EE-33A6-4C03-B921-3DF03C32054E.jpeg

mbrown2

Reaction score
With so many of those advertising trucks already in service, would seem much more cost effective to just rent one if you have a job or buy one used to see if it makes financial sense... ...instead of creating a custom anomaly with a one off system that needs to be maintained.....but it seems like this is more of a passion project vs profit project.. :)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@whiteworks may be on to something...what are the weights of the screens and a genny set up? Could you make one a double sided, skidmount? Basically, a unit that could be mounted on a very basic pontoon, for cruising the channel and such (Pirate's, Topoc 66, or Havasu businesses). Or...launched in Bullhead to cruise in front of the hotels.

If it was skid mounted, set it up to be winches on to another flatbed for land based events.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
With so many of those advertising trucks already in service, would seem much more cost effective to just rent one if you have a job or buy one used to see if it makes financial sense... ...instead of creating a custom anomaly with a one off system that needs to be maintained.....but it seems like this is more of a passion project vs profit project.. :)

None are in service out here that I have seen. I have seen some basic ones with stagnant images but no digital. Even those they were here and now are not? Only place I have ever really seen digital was in vegas actually.

RD

mbrown2

Reaction score
None are in service out here that I have seen. I have seen some basic ones with stagnant images but no digital. Even those they were here and now are not? Only place I have ever really seen digital was in vegas actually.

RD
That was my thoughts...go to Vegas and buy used if you really think there is a venture for it in Havasu...

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
There is a market for this type of thing, is that market in havasu? I dunno, but it has wheels under it so if not you put it where the money is. I have a friend who does a similar type business on the side but he’s uses big projectors and flashes up the sides of buildings. You might want to consider adding a projector system to this aswell so you could have the potential to flash a large wall/building you’re parked next to. I’m guessing you could do something on the cheap with a little epson projector from staples, but if you want to spend money like an asshole check out some of the big laser projectors by Christie. 😉

Aswell you could build out a pontoon setup for the screens you have and do a drive in on the water, or maybe turn copper canyon into a drive in at night with your new projector.

View attachment 1250062
A cheap projector won't have near the light output you need and is only good at night. I today just got in a 13k Lumen Christie for replacement at a project. $25k and it really wouldn't be great for much more than a 200" image and you would want full darkness.

There's a reason why LED walls exist, they are soooo much brighter and at reasonable resolutions can be cheaper than a projection setup.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
A cheap projector won't have near the light output you need and is only good at night. I today just got in a 13k Lumen Christie for replacement at a project. $25k and it really wouldn't be great for much more than a 200" image and you would want full darkness.

There's a reason why LED walls exist, they are soooo much brighter and at reasonable resolutions can be cheaper than a projection setup.

This video wall that Dan got me you can see clear as day at about 50% brightness.. if you turn it up more it’s hard to even look at.

I agree I don’t think a projector would work unless it’s dark out.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

My thought process of pure profit some passion.

If I can get 10 companies at 35 bucks a day x 20 days a month it’s about 7k a month.. figure 15-20 gallons of diesel a day and the cost of the employee to move it once a day? Or move it myself? Change the oil in the genset once a month..

That’s why I was asking what do ya think it would be worth? I think those numbers are very very conservative..

Biz would be profitable in 6-7 months? Maybe 8?

Plus I get the added bonus of free advertising for TRDP / rdp..

I figure you can rent it out to select customers like Bradley Chevrolet etc for a decent chunk for weekends or dedicated advertising? And parties / events etc..

I don’t think I’ll get rich on it but it will help the RE biz, and pay itself off decently quick.

RD

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score

View attachment 1250062
My selfish first thought was how nice it would be sitting on your property in JV watching the live coverage of KOH on this thing.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
My selfish first thought was how nice it would be sitting on your property in JV watching the live coverage of KOH on this thing.

I’ll bring it! Lol. Kind of a shitty vehicle
To drive that far but do able.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
This video wall that Dan got me you can see clear as day at about 50% brightness.. if you turn it up more it’s hard to even look at.

I agree I don’t think a projector would work unless it’s dark out.
Yeah we've used them before in permanent installs and renting for events. I usually push for them over projection in most cases. I'm a fan 👍

bonesfab

Reaction score
at the rate Dave is spending money on this, Riverdiva is going to make him switch to Budlight.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
what are the ac,s for???

One was to cool the processors and lap top that runs the screen in its own cabinet. The screen is temperature rated but since we have it in an enclosed cabinet we just added one in there as well even if it doesn’t need it.. figured it couldn’t hurt?

We have more than enough power (by a hundred times) and the ac’s are 200.00 so why not?

RD

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
One was to cool the processors and lap top that runs the screen in its own cabinet. The screen is temperature rated but since we have it in an enclosed cabinet we just added one in there as well even if it doesn’t need it.. figured it couldn’t hurt?

We have more than enough power (by a hundred times) and the ac’s are 200.00 so why not?

RD
I thought maybe there was a sleeper section between the screens,

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I gotta figure out the audio for this thing.. I am thinking indoor outdoor home speakers with a sub?

Any ideas?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Arena/stadium speakers? Don't know how if they'd hit the lows enough, but loud and weather proof.

Englewood

Reaction score
Any more pics of the skirting/cabinets? I think you are on to something here.

merc_400r

Reaction score
It's coming out very nice. Can not wait to see the final product.

clarence

Reaction score
I gotta figure out the audio for this thing.. I am thinking indoor outdoor home speakers with a sub?

Any ideas?

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
My thought process of pure profit some passion.

If I can get 10 companies at 35 bucks a day x 20 days a month it’s about 7k a month.. figure 15-20 gallons of diesel a day and the cost of the employee to move it once a day? Or move it myself? Change the oil in the genset once a month..

That’s why I was asking what do ya think it would be worth? I think those numbers are very very conservative..

Biz would be profitable in 6-7 months? Maybe 8?

Plus I get the added bonus of free advertising for TRDP / rdp..

I figure you can rent it out to select customers like Bradley Chevrolet etc for a decent chunk for weekends or dedicated advertising? And parties / events etc..

I don’t think I’ll get rich on it but it will help the RE biz, and pay itself off decently quick.

RD

Have a separate business for the LED Truck. Then RDP and TRDP buys time not free. Write off for both companies.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score

View attachment 1250062
Im involved in a new theater arts building. The Christie projector and lens (for the screening room) was $65,000.

Singleton

Reaction score
Have a separate business for the LED Truck. Then RDP and TRDP buys time not free. Write off for both companies.
This is the only way I can see it working, when you look at this project with a financial and tax advantage POV.
RD does not cut corners on builds, so this truck when done will be over 75k.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Im involved in a new theater arts building. The Christie projector and lens (for the screening room) was $65,000.
That’s getting into big boy projector territory😉 we used these two on a projection mapping proof of concept project a few years back, no joke laser projectors dipping into the 6 figure mark. One of the photographers burned out the sensor in his DSLR by shooting photos in the wrong direction LOL

0C1903E3-6A60-44E4-8C19-11BB5203A26B.jpeg
221BECDB-B69C-4567-8E20-E4B216000DAB.jpeg
E107601B-1AA9-447C-8922-D4CD06F2F97E.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This is the only way I can see it working, when you look at this project with a financial and tax advantage POV.
RD does not cut corners on builds, so this truck when done will be over 75k.
I don’t think it’s gonna be that much.. at least I hope it’s not. This is all being paid for cash out of my toy slush fund. 😳

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

Any ideas?
Those should sound nice in an aluminum box...lol

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Those should sound nice in an aluminum box...lol

They would be mounted outside on the corners on temp mounts and then stored in the cabinets..

Or option to mount them in cabinets and open the doors so the sound would be projected out (not in).. couple options.

I am thinking temp mounts and stored in the under cabinets would be best for flexibility

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Locks are in, Eric switched hinges because he didn’t like the original ones.. AC cabinet is templated and framed. Raised hitch is finished.

Bear in mind after it’s all built 100% of it comes back apart for paint and the reassembly.. lol.

Eric scrapped the original fuel tank idea based on calculations and we are going with two giant tanks on both sides of the truck.

This thing will start coming together fast over the next two weeks.. the. Take it apart / paint reassembly and we begin testing. :)

IMG_5287.jpeg
IMG_5288.jpeg
IMG_5289.jpeg
IMG_5290.jpeg
IMG_5291.jpeg
IMG_5292.jpeg
IMG_5293.jpeg
IMG_5294.jpeg

Englewood

Reaction score
What is a ballpark cost to add skirting/cabinets?