WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How to Drive a boat with RD (non pg)

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Funny story . . .

I was at the Catalina Ski Race one year with my Chick at the time to watch the start.
We were in my little 15 Whaler.
I nosed in to drop her off at the South Shores Ramp to take a pee.
As I pulled away and out, some dude in what looked like a 30 foot Skater with twin Merc outboards says, "Hey can I ask You a favor"?!?!?!
I pull up alongside, 'Sure what's Up'??
He says to to Me, 'Do You mind going up to the dock and picking up my chick and bringing her out here, I don't wanna jack up my boat"?
I say, "No Sweat".
So I idle over to the dock, and down walks a 'Total Scene' . . . a petite micro-asian gal, super long hair, barely-there daisy dukes, a barely buttoned-up shirt tied in a knot showing off her midriff and holding up a pair of giant boobs, high heel stilletto's, giant sunglasses . . . the whole shebang . . . . she's even holding the bedazzled cell-phone with tassels hanging off and that finger-grip thing on the back !!!! 🤯

I'm like, 'Jeeezuz Christ, what have I gotten myself into'?
I gently pull up to the dock and in a 'Peter Brady Voice' say, "Hi, I'm supposed to take You out to that boat'. 😆
She looks at Me, and then the boat like, "You've gotta be fuckin kidding Me". Then she looks out at her dude, and he motions for her to get in.
By this time, I've got one leg on the dock, and one in the boat, and offer her my hand to help guide her in. 🤣
She reluctantly takes my hand and gently steps in . . . mind you, my boat is super tippy and about a foot BELOW the dock height, and there's not a square inch of carpet anywhere in my boat.

I hold my breath as she makes it in w//o incident.
I say to her, 'You can sit right here on this Yeti Cooler', (as if she might be impressed by that). 😆😅😂🤣 . . . which she does.
So I sit down and pull away from the dock with a, "Here we go". 🤪

Of course right about that time my chick starts walking down the ramp, throws up her hands and looks at my like, 'What in the actual FUCK'?!?!?!?! 😝😝😝
I throw out the obligatory, "I'll be right back"!!! 😄

So this 'Sporty Young Lady' is right in front of Me, sitting on the Yeti in front of the little center console . . . a strong smell of perfume is now completely flowing in my face! 🤪
I BARELY keep it in gear as I'm taking as long as I can to get out to the Gucci Skater waiting outside 😁😆😅

I finally make it out there, pull up along side and help her board the Skater w/o incident . . . the dude was super cool, thanked Me, and they were on their way.

I then idle back to the dock to pick up my chick, who's waiting with folded arms😳😳😳.
She hops on & immediately says, 'What the fuck was that all about????, "Could You have taken any longer"??? , then, "Jesus Christ your boat stinks of perfume" !!! 😅😂🤣

In the back of my mind I was like . . . 'YES' !!!🤘🤘🤘⚡⚡⚡

GOOD TIMES.
Love it... what no lil purse dog? She's off her game. There's been some Yeti cooler top sniffing round here.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Hey Dave, I notice all your vids are with the steering wheel on the starboard side. You planning on doing any videos for the helpless souls with port side steering? I don’t think they can translate.

🤣

I still don’t understand all the peeps asking for jet boat videos. Jets are the easiest things I know. But I may be biased, had a jet for the first 30 years before getting into props.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Hey Dave, I notice all your vids are with the steering wheel on the starboard side. You planning on doing any videos for the helpless souls with port side steering? I don’t think they can translate.

🤣
My boat is port side steering, buddy of mine was looking at it and was just in awe over that.

He asked why and i told him due to prop rotation and hull design its faster. An age old go fast secret. I said you could take the same boat with starboard steering and it will be slower. Haha he bit hook line and sinker.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
I carry a proper length of Samson Braid line just for towing. I’ve found having a strong Carabiner Clip attached to an eye, or bowline loop, is easy to just hand to the boat being towed. Avoids problems with knots. They then just clip the carabiner to their bow eye. If they can’t reach it, I clip it on for them.
I’m sure things have changed. But I was taught to not use your line use theirs, had to do with liability if something goes wrong, your rope your responsible, their rope their responsible.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I tow often. I don't know how or why, but it just happens a lot. I've towed a guy from the Sandbar to Windsor. It usually enhances my day. The only time I didn't tow a guy all the way back to his trailer was on Lake Mead. He ran out of fuel at Mid Point Island. If you know Mead, you couldn't be farther from fuel without working really hard. I made sure his cooler was full, put him on the beach, and then radioed in his spot after getting closer to a marina. I wanted to help more, but we were headed to a houseboat rendezvous etc. Sometimes stupid needs to think about it...

Taboma

Reaction score
I’m sure things have changed. But I was taught to not use your line use theirs, had to do with liability if something goes wrong, your rope your responsible, their rope their responsible.
Interesting, back in the 60's my dad had taught schooled me with the same advice. Although it never stopped me from lending aid, I always inquired before tossing them mine. Since then, I've learned here on RDP, that information was incorrect. Either something has changed over time, or that was another old wives tale by a bygone era ??

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The how “not” to is already pretty well covered by youtube you just have to look for it.

And I don’t think anyone is volunteering their boat for the how not…

The Qualified Captain has the "how not to" down to a science. 👍🏼

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

X1000

Parker has a Whole different vibe than the lake.

But I'll take a bit of exception to your "no cruising speed" comment...

My 28 tri-toon Definitely has a cruising speed! If it's not at the ideal RPM and trim, I can watch the fucking gas gauge go down! 🤣

Go slower you say? Nope, doesn't help. It will just plow and you'll Never get to where you are going. Uses even more fuel that it would use properly trimmed and throttled.

Of course I have a V6 2-stroke. It sucks fuel like there is no tomorrow, so I'm always aware of the fuel gauge!

😁

HoJo

Reaction score
Best Shit on the internet! Keep it coming big Dave 👍

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
So, you sold out and the name changes to R F D P………hahahaha

Badchoices03

Reaction score
lol...I still believe there are more people that wont tow then people that will....I have seen comments on this site about towing not being their responsibility and that they should have had a tow service membership...

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I towed A guy last summer who said he was trying to get a tow from someone for an hour and a half. Pretty crummy and he was only 5 miles max (in a no wake zone) from the ramp near the end of the day when a lot of people were heading back anyway.

I also try to pay attention and take mental note of who is stopped on the lake and where. Just in case they arent in the hatch. So when i come back if they're still there i will swing by and check on them.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
lol...I still believe there are more people that wont tow then people that will....I have seen comments on this site about towing not being their responsibility and that they should have had a tow service membership...
The thing I hear about most is "it's too hard on my boat." So dumb. If you keep speed down I'd struggle to figure out which component is stressed. With the exception of the actual connection point, the other stuff doesn't even know it's there.

NicPaus

Reaction score
The other myth. You can't tow on plane. I got towed from the narrows to the campground at Naci. Put my crew on other boat and he hammered down. 40mph the whole way. Through the marine no wake zone on plane. The ranger did a double take and never pulled us over.

Best tow rope is the tube rope. Used it many times.

ChrisV

Reaction score
The other myth. You can't tow on plane. I got towed from the narrows to the campground at Naci. Put my crew on other boat and he hammered down. 40mph the whole way. Through the marine no wake zone on plane. The ranger did a double take and never pulled us over.

Best tow rope is the tube rope. Used it many times.
Sounds sketchy. Love it

hallett21

Reaction score
The thing I hear about most is "it's too hard on my boat." So dumb. If you keep speed down I'd struggle to figure out which component is stressed. With the exception of the actual connection point, the other stuff doesn't even know it's there.
Over the hub exhaust propellers or pissed off 2 stroke outboards do not want to tow.
I stop for everyone. But how about the guy I offered to tow to pirates who ran out of gas. He told me he didn’t want to pay that much for fuel and that he’s “only just past the needles bridge”. So I need to inconvenience me my equipment and my crew because you’re too cheap to go boating with enough gas.

Or the people who launched at the springs. We pulled up to them at roughly Grandpas beach. I’m not towing you 40-50 miles lol.

I’ve offered tools, parts, drinks, food, cell phones, vhf radio, rides to a ramp to grab an Uber, we’ve fished people out of the water after crashes and rendered first aid and I even had to do CPR on a guy in Catalina. It has nothing to do with not wanting to help.

Now I’m not leaving a single mom and two little kids to fend for themselves.

Thompson bay to Windsor might be the least inconvenient request I personally have received lol.

There’s a time variable that a lot of people never want to accept. Most of the time I can tow you to the closest ramp, have you call an Uber to your truck and drive back before I could tow your boat to the truck.

Dave can yank my membership now.

Signed AAA premium and Boat Us premium member holder Hallett21

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
We have a place at the springs and man when the wind blows it’s a nightmare getting into some of those spots. I’ve seen a few boats by the launch ramp slips with the biminis up get pushed to the point of playing bumper cars.

Quick tip- if it’s windy out the Bimini down before launching/retrieving or getting in a slip.
Even inside that cove with the slips at the springs, the wind can get pretty gnarly. My first time putting in on a windy day at the springs I figured the wind would be easy because of the cliffs. I left the Bimini up and got free pinstriping as a reward.

Reactions: DWC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Over the hub exhaust propellers or pissed off 2 stroke outboards do not want to tow.

I stop for everyone. But how about the guy I offered to tow to pirates who ran out of gas. He told me he didn’t want to pay that much for fuel and that he’s “only just past the needles bridge”. So I need to inconvenience me my equipment and my crew because you’re too cheap to go boating with enough gas.

Or the people who launched at the springs. We pulled up to them at roughly Grandpas beach. I’m not towing you 40-50 miles lol.

I’ve offered tools, parts, drinks, food, cell phones, vhf radio, rides to a ramp to grab an Uber, we’ve fished people out of the water after crashes and rendered first aid and I even had to do CPR on a guy in Catalina. It has nothing to do with not wanting to help.

Now I’m not leaving a single mom and two little kids to fend for themselves.

Thompson bay to Windsor might be the least inconvenient request I personally have received lol.

There’s a time variable that a lot of people never want to accept. Most of the time I can tow you to the closest ramp, have you call an Uber to your truck and drive back before I could tow your boat to the truck.

Dave can yank my membership now.

Signed AAA premium and Boat Us premium member holder Hallett21

Obviously I’m not talking about circumnavigating the globe with a boat in tow.. lol. The main point was just be nice and help when you are able.

hallett21

Reaction score
Obviously I’m not talking about circumnavigating the globe with a boat in tow.. lol. The main point was just be nice and help when you are able.
100 percent and I hope you know I’m not that much of a dick. Honestly I go the other way and suffer to help people lol.

But there’s a limit to my helpfulness 😁

hallett21

Reaction score
@RiverDave sounds like you’re surgery inbound so I hope it all goes well and you heal up.

Something to expand on with these videos especially in an non PG way is how to approach a vessel in distress.

Sinking, fire etc.

everyone wants to go in guns blazing.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
1) Yes, always offer help and a tow, if needed.
2) Get towing insurance, BoatUS, Vessel Assist etc.
3) For maneuvering learn how to tow on the hip. Simply a method of tying alongside the towed boat and place them on a dock. We even did this with our old 18’ Tahiti. We towed our large houseboat on our hip at busy Katherine’s Landing and placed it on the fuel dock. Proper placement of lines is vital, fore and aft spring, short straight across stern to stern line and a bow line. The transoms of each boat are in line. Or if possible, your transom slightly aft of the transom of boat being towed is optimal. The idea is to get your prop/jet just aft of the towed vessel. Typically, towing on the hip is done in protected waters. We've done it when entering an inlet/breakwater to maintain maximum control. Not advised at an inlet such as Haulover. Obviously, adequate fenders between the boats is necessary and minimal and no slack in the lines, to avoid sudden surges. It's all very do able and should be done at minimum speeds. An easy thing to practice along with a buddy and his boat. If in doubt, leave the tow on the long line and deal with it as best you can. Follow RD's video advice.

Last edited:

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Yes please

Very well recall when this happened. Fortunately, we weren't there. Looking again at this video, I noticed only guys topside, all maneuvering was done slowly, Sheriff's boat followed but held off and the guy trying to hold that large houseboat off his swimstep was most fortunate. Do any inmates know the background on this? Were they foreigners? Were they sited? Etc etc.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Ok….. I will chime in here. This is an area in which I can interject some real knowledge.

Rule #1……. Never and I mean NEVER cleat off the towing boat. Make sure you have a loop around a cleat. Why? Because if the towEd boat starts to sink or becomes at a 90 degree angle to the towing vessel……. It can quickly be released. I always make sure I have my knife ready, just in case I am forced to cut it free, because there is too much tension on line to release loop from cleat.

Idealy, you would make a tow harness that works off 2 cleats. It’s easy. Bowline knot at each end of line. This will give you a loop at each end which is easy to untie. (Bowline knot). Then full hitch knot to towline to harness. 3 minute set up.

The reason why you don’t want to get towed boat 90 degrees of towing vessel is obvious. It takes a lot less force to sink the towing vessel when the tension is pulling tow vessel at 90 degree ange. It is a very quick and efficient way to sink the tow vessel.

Never use your midship cleat to tow. But it will be very beneficial with a hip tow, which Stevenatsea covered very well. I have nothing to ad, he covered the main points. It is the best way for towing in tight quarters.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Having a way to alert boats/PWCs attempting to pass between you and the towed vessel is always a good idea. There are official shapes and lights to display when towing. But, likely unnecessary in a recreational situation. Typically, Sea Tow etc does display them.

One of the most catastrophic towing accidents I witnessed, I saw only on radar and heard it on the vhf. One night while passing MDR, a while after we'd over taken a sea going tug and tow, we watched (on radar) a boat departing MDR pass right between the tug and tow. There was fog. We were about 4 miles away. Offered assistance, but Harbor Patrol and USCG responded immediately from MDR. The poor guy on the tug did everything possible to warn him off. Later heard the departing boat was a total loss. Never heard about the people on board.

Last edited:

Jay Dub

Reaction score
This is a series of videos I recorded earlier this summer for fun and informational purposes. It doesn’t really fit the “pg / industry” narrative so we added a YouTube channel to our YouTube called “after dark” This particular series is six or seven episodes.

I will update with more episodes next week!

RD
good videos Dave. thank you. Maybe you could do a few on launching and retrieving.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Can we add towing or checking on people while offroading? It's amazing how many people will just blow by you stopped in the middle of BFE

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
I towed a guy to a ramp about a mile away from where he was. His truck was 20 miles upriver and he was the one to bring it up to just tow him to the closest ramp and he then take him to his truck. Probably saved us about 2 hours but the ramps out here are free, so there is that factor. But yes, always ask if they want to be towed. If they say no, maybe check back, maybe not. A lot of factors go into answering that question.

Nordie

Reaction score
Launching and retrieving would be ideal. Last summer I took a couple out to Willow Beach that were new boat owners. I told them this is the most stressful part.

I walked them through it, and since they have been on the water almost every weekend in the summer.

It's all about having a system. Atleast there's 2 of them so it makes it easy. When I was boating 9 times out of 10 I had to do everything myself. I will say that even doing it myself I was more efficient and faster than a lot of people on the launch ramp.

You should definitely do that type of video, and keep the same style of non PG coaching. It's pretty damn funny! 👍👍👍👍

Yoshiro

Reaction score
I really enjoyed watching these videos, thanks Dave! Plus it's freezing cold and dark up here in Oregon.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Launching and retrieving would be ideal. Last summer I took a couple out to Willow Beach that were new boat owners. I told them this is the most stressful part.

I walked them through it, and since they have been on the water almost every weekend in the summer.

It's all about having a system. Atleast there's 2 of them so it makes it easy. When I was boating 9 times out of 10 I had to do everything myself. I will say that even doing it myself I was more efficient and faster than a lot of people on the launch ramp.

You should definitely do that type of video, and keep the same style of non PG coaching. It's pretty damn funny! 👍👍👍👍

I'm gonna a make a PG series for the kids and uppitty types.. LOL. Main thing is I gotta get another boat!

RD

Jay Dub

Reaction score
That I could actually do.. LOL. I seriously need to get another boat. :oops:
you could borrow our 210. :)
Hallett 210 side view.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
How about a vid on the proper use of a SKI flag? Not the HEYLAM, I'm swimming over here flag?

🤬🤣

LOL.. truth. That said while the law is the law, the awareness that people in the water isn't a bad thing.. That's the same way I feel about underwater lights and interior lights.. but technically those are against the law as well with most colors.

RD

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I'm gonna a make a PG series for the kids and uppitty types.. LOL. Main thing is I gotta get another boat!

RD
As long as you have a cig in your hand I'm happy. I saw you place what I thought was a lit one down on that pontoon dash and thought, That dudes got an ashtray and then I looked closer and naw I think you have some special technique you'll need to share. I twist em out over the side and chuck the filter in empty cans personally. Folks get amped up fast when they see my arm going over the side .... I tell em to relax.... bitchezzzzzzzzzz

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
As long as you have a cig in your hand I'm happy. I saw you place what I thought was a lit one down on that pontoon dash and thought, That dudes got an ashtray and then I looked closer and naw I think you have some special technique you'll need to share. I twist em out over the side and chuck the filter in empty cans personally. Folks get amped up fast when they see my arm going over the side .... I tell em to relax.... bitchezzzzzzzzzz

Do they want you to ash in the boat? LOL

RD