WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Joel Olsteen church shooting today. WTF

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Reading the comments, this stuck out "Red states have twice as many gun deaths than blue states"....posted by someone named "Vote-Libral"

Don't see that as true, but sure. The blue city of Chicago out guns most states...red, blue or purple. I wonder what the angle will be? White supremist attacking Spanish speakers? Someone specifically targeted? Just a wacked out person?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
It's not about religion I think he meant about the man himself, total fraud I think but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
The issue is wishing for it to happen at a "place of worship." I find people like Kenneth Copeland etc to be truly the scum of the earth...but their parishioners place of worship should be a safe place, the same as those who worship other false prophets. Just because they are gullible doesn't mean they deserve violence.
Evil in religion, and those who seek to profit from it is not isolated to the mega church preachers..

rrrr

Reaction score
Nobody is forcing the congregation to drop money in the plate. My parents were members of Second Baptist Church in Houston, Joel Osteen's father was the pastor. I called it the Department Store for the Soul.

What those people do is their business. I couldn't care less.

Andy B.

Reaction score
The issue is wishing for it to happen at a "place of worship." I find people like Kenneth Copeland etc to be truly the scum of the earth...but their parishioners place of worship should be a safe place, the same as those who worship other false prophets. Just because they are gullible doesn't mean they deserve violence.
Evil in religion, and those who seek to profit from it is not isolated to the mega church preachers..

Gotcha I don't think he meant for it to happen period especially in church. People get excited ( I'm the king of that) just a statement about the man not the church.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
My prediction is that the shooter will turn out to be one of 3 things:

1. Not a "woman", as reported
2. Wearing a hijab
3. One of Biden's border jumpers

Interesting that the far left Houston Sheriff and leftist media is referring to a "long gun" and not their usual "Assault Rifle" trope.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
dave might delete this..
f the church garbage stuff,, give us your money and we will read u the bible.. if u need it in your life great for u..
everyone of this guys lives the high life and use the 500c as there personal acct.
they buy everything and use the church. cause thats what god wants (lmfao).. cars clothes food houses u name it..

Markus

Reaction score
Interesting that the far left Houston Sheriff and leftist media is referring to a "long gun" and not their usual "Assault Rifle" trope.

Maybe the shooter considered it inappropriate to bring an assault rifle to God's house.

Long gun does sound a lot more biblical...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
One may not care for Osteen, or any particular religion or preacher. Fine, but when someone says "f the church garbage stuff..." some others may find it needlessly offensive.
I'm not a big church goer, but have fairly strong beliefs. I find it odd the callous nature of some towards the beliefs of many.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

2. Wearing a hijab

Agreed.
I read a CNN article headline about it also calling it a long gun. In the article they do say it was an AR.

FCT

Reaction score
And that’s why it’s so important to carry. My one officer buddy said one place he always has two guns on him while off duty is Sundays at church. It’s sad that we have to think this way but it’s just the way it is. Thankfully no innocent people were killed except for possibly the child that came with the shooter and hopefully that kid is able to recover and have a chance at life with a stable family. 😔

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
2DB70785-B3C9-49EA-B1E7-99621E17C5FF.jpeg

dribble

Reaction score
Reading the comments, this stuck out "Red states have twice as many gun deaths than blue states"....posted by someone named "Vote-Libral"

Don't see that as true, but sure. The blue city of Chicago out guns most states...red, blue or purple. I wonder what the angle will be? White supremist attacking Spanish speakers? Someone specifically targeted? Just a wacked out person?

And don’t forget Atlanta, St Louis, Baltimore, Detroit.

gqchris

Reaction score
I enjoy listening to him on Sirius XM, I guess I am the minority. 🤷‍♂️

I appreciate his messages and I feel he is a good motivational speaker that reminds me every so often to trust in God and realize there is a higher plan.

Like others have mentioned, members of his church CHOOSE to be involved. They have their own reasons why, and its none of my concern.

gqchris

Reaction score
One may not care for Osteen, or any particular religion or preacher. Fine, but when someone says "f the church garbage stuff..." some others may find it needlessly offensive.
I'm not a big church goer, but have fairly strong beliefs. I find it odd the callous nature of some towards the beliefs of many.
I agree, But nothing surprises me on RDP anymore these days.

thetub

Reaction score
I enjoy listening to him on Sirius XM, I guess I am the minority. 🤷‍♂️

I appreciate his messages and I feel he is a good motivational speaker that reminds me every so often to trust in God and realize there is a higher plan.

Like others have mentioned, members of his church CHOOSE to be involved. They have their own reasons why, and its none of my concern.

i do as well...

little story why maybe im gullible , but while in Havasu at my friends place could not sleep cause of few things rough going on at the time ...

well woke up like 3 am or so and Joel was on tv and watched the episode which coincided what i felt my problems at the time and his episode ended with pretty much how problems at the time (week later) played out in a very good way.. and was a very long shot type of thing to happen

coincidence this happened or something else ? well since then i enjoy listening to him...

gqchris

Reaction score
i do as well...

little story why maybe im gullible , but while in Havasu at my friends place could not sleep cause of few things rough going on at the time ...

well woke up like 3 am or so and Joel was on tv and watched the episode which coincided what i felt my problems at the time and his episode ended with pretty much how problems at the time played out in a very good way..

coincidence this happened or something else ? well since then i enjoy listening to him...
I feel his is not heavy on the scripture and more on the motivational speaking side. Which is why I enjoy it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@gqchris , @thetub I'm of the belief that it's not scripture or the preacher, it's the meaning of the words. Some may find meaning in the Bible's words, but others in song lyrics, movie quotes or random readings. The carrier is not what conveys the meaning, only the words. It's on the individual to find meaning if they so choose.

rrrr

Reaction score

2. Wearing a hijab

You win. The shooter "formerly identified as a male."

I just heard it on the radio.

🤣

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
How fast do you think this will fade away now that they have released the trans free palestine part? That for sure does not fit the narrative that many very powerful groups are preaching lately.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Osteen is not an ordained minister. Unless, he got his license in the last year or two. Must be why he is a motivational speaker. Personally, never liked him. Still trying to find out why his wife dumped him. Must be bad to walk away from the big bucks!!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Osteen is not an ordained minister. Unless, he got his license in the last year or two. Must be why he is a motivational speaker. Personally, never liked him. Still trying to find out why his wife dumped him. Must be bad to walk away from the big bucks!!!

That's surprising to me.. Hell even I'm an ordained minister!

RD

TonyFanelli

Reaction score
Just watched the press conference from the sheriff, and other agencies...if you look back on these shootings, the first words out of all these peoples mouths are praising the job of how well the first responders acted..I don't get it. They spend the majority of the time seemingly patting themselves on the back. Uvalde was a good example, yet later, they couldn't wait to throw them under the bus.
I don't recall when this all started.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Just watched the press conference from the sheriff, and other agencies...if you look back on these shootings, the first words out of all these peoples mouths are praising the job of how well the first responders acted..I don't get it. They spend the majority of the time seemingly patting themselves on the back. Uvalde was a good example, yet later, they couldn't wait to throw them under the bus.
I don't recall when this all started.

Uvalde and Route 91.. Both about the same with hour plus wait times.

RD

PDQH2O

Reaction score
dave might delete this..
f the church garbage stuff,, give us your money and we will read u the bible.. if u need it in your life great for u..
everyone of this guys lives the high life and use the 500c as there personal acct.
they buy everything and use the church. cause thats what god wants (lmfao).. cars clothes food houses u name it..
You’re on the right track with the televangelist theory. Anyone who honestly reads the New Testament (2 Timothy 4:3, if you’re curious) will quickly find out what God wants and that there will be those who will say what “itching ears want to hear”. The Bible is also very clear that anyone who teaches something contrary to the scriptures is a false teacher and is to be ignored.

It’s really not that difficult. Two things; first, read the Bible for yourself so that YOU can be sure of what it says, don't ever rely on, or take a human’s word for it. Second, challenge (the Bible says “prove”) everything you’re told about what God wants by studying, then find a church that’s practices only what the book teaches. You’ll find that not all preachers are televangelists and some are honestly trying to help people.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
I feel his is not heavy on the scripture and more on the motivational speaking side. Which is why I enjoy it.
I’m not trying to bash him but, That’s why don’t particularly care for him. A pastor’s job is to lead people to God and help them grow their relationship with God, not just motivating them to “Live their best life”. But, IF it does get someone to know God, then great.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Everytime I hear his name I have to do a doubletake. I had a customer with the same name, a church pastor. Darling of a wife too.
Most definitely not the same couple.

rrrr

Reaction score
Lakewood Church is non-denominational, there's no affiliation with a recognized religion, and therefore no ordination applies.

As I said above, the people in the congregation are there because the church represents their belief in God. That Osteen is offensive to some doesn't make his message illegitimate.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
A person walks in, intent to kill innocent people, child in tow...and yet this thread has degraded to being an "Osteen hurt me..." thread.

If someone walked into a market to do the same, would the same people rise against the deli counter?