WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Memorial Day Accidents

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Hope everyone is ok. Saw this on Mohave County Sherrifs office’s post.
IMG_8787.png
IMG_8789.jpeg
IMG_8792.png
IMG_8791.jpeg
IMG_8788.png
IMG_8790.jpeg

zhandfull

Reaction score
Wow! That is crazy the pontoon capsizing. Fourteen people and no injuries is very lucky.

Englewood

Reaction score
Based on what I’m hearing it sounds like it was crazy busy?

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I saw a video of the toon capsizing, looked pretty crazy, lucky no one was injured. I heard it was a rental and overloaded.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I saw a video of the toon capsizing, looked pretty crazy, lucky no one was injured. I heard it was a rental and overloaded.

Pretty sure that boat is / was rented out of havasu..

I see it on the side of the 95.. always thought it would be crazy to rent that thing with a single.. most experienced guys would struggle with it around the docks.

RD

Reaction score
5/26 capsized trytoon. My boat was the first boat there. 12 of the 14 jumped off. 2 girls who couldn’t swim were trapped under near the helm with about 5” of space between the floor and the water. I got them out 1 at a time pulling them under the debris and then out the front. One the girls and 6 others ended up on my pontoon with my daughters help. We dropped them at Topock. I was standing on the transom after all were accounted for talking to the sheriffs. Looks like they thought I was a passenger on capsized boat. A couple other guys were in the water helping get passengers to other boats. Great to see all us boaters come together and help.

hallett21

Reaction score
5/26 capsized trytoon. My boat was the first boat there. 12 of the 14 jumped off. 2 girls who couldn’t swim were trapped under near the helm with about 5” of space between the floor and the water. I got them out 1 at a time pulling them under the debris and then out the front. One the girls and 6 others ended up on my pontoon with my daughters help. We dropped them at Topock. I was standing on the transom after all were accounted for talking to the sheriffs. Looks like they thought I was a passenger on capsized boat. A couple other guys were in the water helping get passengers to other boats. Great to see all us boaters come together and help.
Good for you and thank god you were there 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

Good job!

Hallett 300 with triple outboards?

4Waters

Reaction score

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Well done! Good boating karma coming your way!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Shoot me a text with an address and a shirt size and I’ll send you some rdp gear!

949-678-8369

MooreMoney

Reaction score
Who goes on a boat and can’t swim? I will never understand that one.

Nice work saving them!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Nice work saving them!

I can't swim worth a fuck. I've never been able to.

But I've been boating/water skiing/jet skiing since I was a child. And every house I've owned has had a pool.

Some people Choose to not live their lives in a bubble.

hallett21

Reaction score

But I've been boating/water skiing/jet skiing since I was a child. And every house I've owned has had a pool.

Lol like you can’t swim? Or you just won’t win a race?

Can you tread water and float?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Lol like you can’t swim? Or you just won’t win a race?

Can you tread water and float?

Nope! I cannot.

Some people's body types just don't float, and I am one of those people.

Swimming is Extremely difficult for me, and I've had lessons since I was a kid!

I know How to swim, but I can't do it for very long, due to how difficult it is.

I can barley make it the length of a home swimming pool, and I'm completely gassed.

God invented the California Diaper, just for me! 😁

4Waters

Reaction score
Nope! I cannot.

Some people's body types just don't float, and I am one of those people.

Swimming is Extremely difficult for me, and I've had lessons since I was a kid!

I know How to swim, but I can't do it for very long, due to how difficult it is.

I can barley make it the length of a home swimming pool, and I'm completely gassed.

God invented the California Diaper, just for me! 😁
Crazy, while I do agree that some people are meant to swim and some aren't but I can't float for shit either but I am a fairly strong swimmer. When I float on my back my legs immediately start sinking and in less than 60sec my face is under water.

She's Mine

Reaction score

Nice work saving them!
A lot of people do. I had a friend that couldn't swim but was able to learn to water ski. Not as uncommon as you think.

Orange Juice

Reaction score

No one could swim over at our pool unless my dad saw them dive off the diving board, and pick up a bolt at the pool bottom, and bring it to him.

Most my friends could not pass that test. 😉

wzuber

Reaction score

Nice work saving them!
You would be surprised how many, not to mention those that don't swim well and are to obese or unhealthy to swim well or for long. It's crazy.

wzuber

Reaction score
Crazy, while I do agree that some people are meant to swim and some aren't but I can't float for shit either but I am a fairly strong swimmer. When I float on my back my legs immediately start sinking and in less than 60sec my face is under water.
when you float on your back do you go catatonic? like a shark? haha do your arms and legs seize with paralysis?

Badchoices03

Reaction score

Nice work saving them!

My brother in-law brought his girlfriend out to Havasu with us last summer she had never been...she had been in the boat with us all day one day, about half day on day two we pull up to the sandbar and I anchor my boat just off the sand port side of boat was about 3' deep but starboard side was around 6' deep...I was standing in the water on the port side talking to a buddy, and the girlfriend jumps in the water on the starboard side and immediately goes under...the surfaces and is panic flailing her arms and screaming she cant swim as the current is taking her...I start swimming to her as my wife jumps in, she is practically taking us both under with her...finally another boat throws us a big floating noodle thing and she was able to hold onto that while we pulled her to the shallow area...it was a scary probably under a minute or two but with the current we ended up like 6 boat lengths down from my boat...walking back to the boat she finally told us that she couldn't swim and that she thought both sides of the boat were shallow enough for her to touch....after that, I made her wear a lifevest the whole rest of the trip....ohhh and the bro in-laws feet never even got wet during that whole thing as he stood on the boat and watched...

Jay Dub

Reaction score
God Bless you for helping them

gqchris

Reaction score

Nice work saving them!
My wife cant swim, so she wears her vest when we are on the boat underway. She loves boating now, but was never around water before we met. My Mom, RIP, was german/italian and I remember she never could swim as well. She loved boating as well also. She even had a boyfriend after my parents divorced, that had a flatty! LOL

I have 4 other friends also same situation. But they love coming out and enjoying the water and are damn good boat bitches. hehe.

Most of my childhood friends are latino since I grew up in a poor neighborhood. They just never had the privilege for lessons or exposure like a most of us gringos had.

Last edited:

MooreMoney

Reaction score
My kids can’t swim but they wear a vest the whole day. I would do the same for an adult if they can’t swim. Never know when you might go down and need to be able to swim for 30 seconds if your life depended on it. Pontoon going over is perfect example. Everything is fun until it’s not. Water isn’t forgiving.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
everyone can learn to swim. Being in shape enough to swim is another thing.

Cute.

I'm 66. I've hiked Half Dome Twice and walk 3 to 5 miles a day, usually.

My 24 year old daughter couldn't keep up with me hiking Yosemite falls last summer.

It's like expecting a lead weight to swim. I've talked swimming instructors, and they understand it, cause obviously I'm not the only one.

Fat floats. I don't. It's as basic as that!

hallett21

Reaction score
Cute.

I'm 66. I've hiked Half Dome Twice and walk 3 to 5 miles a day, usually.

My 24 year old daughter couldn't keep up with me hiking Yosemite falls last summer.

It's like expecting a lead weight to swim. I've talked swimming instructors, and they understand it, cause obviously I'm not the only one.

Fat floats. I don't. It's as basic as that!

I’m not doubting what you’re saying. I’m just having a hard time understanding how even if you tread water you won’t stay “afloat”.

Since it’s a constant motion that generates lift I would think all body types could achieve the lift.

Maybe more eggbeater and less kick lol

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
That musta been a hell of a ride

damn, that had to be a wild ride. Takes both arms and my knee wedged against the wheel to fight the torque steer in mine and I’ve only got a single…that thing turned hard, I’m amazed anyone stayed in the boat.
Driver and another passenger were pitched out of the boat. 3 of the occupants were flown to Nevada. Currently all are stable. The wife has the most injuries and will be in recovery for a long time. The driver is a good operator and does not drink when driving. This was a freak accident and just shows how quickly things go bad

Taboma

Reaction score
I’m not doubting what you’re saying. I’m just having a hard time understanding how even if you tread water you won’t stay “afloat”.

Since it’s a constant motion that generates lift I would think all body types could achieve the lift.

Maybe more eggbeater and less kick lol
The eggbeater comment reminds me of rescuing dogs during my youth at Lake Arrowhead. Occasionally a dog would fall off the neighboring docks, but when he came up, he'd find him or herself up inside the airspace between the floats. The poor thing will continue to dog paddles until he drowns because he doesn't understand the concept of resubmerging then resurfacing again outside of it.
So I'd have to dive or jump in, then go underwater and pull him back under by his legs, which of course he'd struggle violently against, then guide him outside of it and by then I'd normally be a bloody mess for my troubles.

You'd better practice treading in water if you're going to get your PADI diver card. For me that was far more of a challenge for me, than any lengthy swim to qualify.
I don't float well either.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Vessel stability or lack of - See it and believe it, when it comes to this outstanding video. I’ve wondered about the stability of some pontoons, including tri’s, with the upper deck. A very basic rule of stability is sometimes referred to as ‘2/3 of the weight below the waterline, and 1/3 above’. Stack 14 people on there, perhaps most of them on one side of the boat, and you have a problem. Is this a freak accident? Or just a factor of the boat‘s negative stability. Might the larger outboard, compared to inboards, have an adverse effect on the vertical center of gravity?

attitude

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing a nylock nut fell off unless it wasn’t tightened properly to begin with or some idiot replaced it with a regular nut.

That should never happen. Unless the load snapped the bolt instead, but you’ll never find either at this point.
Well at least we can argue about how the mechanical failure happened instead of if alcohol was involved or not…

There was also a twin OB 22 Daytona that had a steering failure and ran a shore not too long ago. I don’t remember if it was a line issue or a bolt/nut issue though.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Well at least we can argue about how the mechanical failure happened instead of if alcohol was involved or not…

There was also a twin OB 22 Daytona that had a steering failure and ran a shore not too long ago. I don’t remember if it was a line issue or a bolt/nut issue though.
I suppose you can fly the boat off a wave, and while airborne, turn the steering wheel so that the drives aren’t pointing in the direction of travel, and then when it lands, the sudden loading of the steering could snap that bolt (if it doesn’t snap turn the boat and pitch the occupants otherwise).

So could be driver error that causes a mechanical breakage. I was told when you fly the boat to NEVER make steering changes.

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score

Joker

Reaction score

Your feet can’t even touch the shallow end of a pool.

Orange Juice

Reaction score

Those bolts/nuts don’t rattle out of their holes, and when they do, they tear up those rod ends on the way out. That looks pretty clean, 🤔