WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed UTV take 3

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Was told if your losing boost, check your fuel
Pressure on the dash. Should start around 52lbs. As you create boost you need to be increasing fuel pressure. Good chance you might have a fuel pressure diaphragm issue. Did you do the upgrade yet?

It’s a turbo issue.. Ken from push turbo already has solutions

Reactions: DWC

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
He might not be wrong.. but a cracked exhaust housing on a turbo isn’t gonna build boost no matter what.
For your sake I hope you don’t have a fuel pressure issue on top of everything else. Any fix for the windshield over heating? My neighbor isn’t exactly happy with his but I haven’t had much time to talk to him.

Reactions: DLC

Albacore

Reaction score
For your sake I hope you don’t have a fuel pressure issue on top of everything else. Any fix for the windshield over heating? My neighbor isn’t exactly happy with his but I haven’t had much time to talk to him.
I would say with all the inconvenience issues or whatever we are finding with these, the windshield should not be one of them they have said from the very beginning and it’s all on the prior videos and design shows that the windshield would not work in hotter weather whatsoever. I’m sure someone’s gonna figure more out. A lot of people are working on it but that is not an issue Speed will be working on.

RVRKID

Reaction score
Yes unfortunately there is a lot more than originally let on.. I still say once it’s dialed it’s gonna be hard to beat. I love the car and will go through the process of fixing or upgrading everything to make it the real deal.

But that’s gonna take
Breaks
Turbo
Front upper Heims
Going through and checking everything and upgrading what’s holding the wiring harness above the skid plate..
Possibly moving the heat exchanger away from the radiator..

lol.

Still less shit than I had to do to my can am etc..
Is this all on your dime or is RG helping/reimbursing you?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
IMG_9399.gif

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Yes unfortunately there is a lot more than originally let on.. I still say once it’s dialed it’s gonna be hard to beat. I love the car and will go through the process of fixing or upgrading everything to make it the real deal.

But that’s gonna take
Breaks
Turbo
Front upper Heims
Going through and checking everything and upgrading what’s holding the wiring harness above the skid plate..
Possibly moving the heat exchanger away from the radiator..

lol.

Still less shit than I had to do to my can am etc..
Dave, whats the deal with the "Front upper Heims" ?

Suspension design and function was the centerpoint of these cars

Reactions: DWC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave, whats the deal with the "Front upper Heims" ?

Suspension design and function was the centerpoint of these cars

The design and function work great! I don’t think the heims are up for real longevity..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Things like the turbo I could wait and fix under warranty.. I’m not patient, plus I’d rather have a ball bearing bad ass turbo..

Some of it is making it my own. Others are working on upgrades I’ll likely buy them.

If I wasn’t so busy all the time I’d make the heims etc myself and sell them. Possibly open up a shop specializing in upgrades and fixed etc

Last edited:

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
Was told if your losing boost, check your fuel
Pressure on the dash. Should start around 52lbs. As you create boost you need to be increasing fuel pressure. Good chance you might have a fuel pressure diaphragm issue. Did you do the upgrade yet?
Are you going to share your pics from your field trip with the class? 😁

DWC

Reaction score
Things like the turbo I could wait and fix under warranty.. I’m not patient, plus I’d rather have a ball bearing bad ass turbo..

Some of it is making it my own. Others are working on upgrades I’ll likely buy them.

If I wasn’t so busy all the time I’d make the heims etc myself and sell them. Possibly open up a shop specializing in upgrades and fixed etc
The whole thing is a bit weird. Latest post is that they have cars with 40,000 miles. Your issues would be problems on the street.

IMG_1356.jpeg

NIKAL

Reaction score
He might not be wrong.. but a cracked exhaust housing on a turbo isn’t gonna build boost no matter what.
Does RG or Speed know about the crack in the turbo exhaust? TR seemed to know nothing about any cracks and a few cars with lower boost were showing lower fuel pressure at boost, which he said was the regular, or diaphragm or the regular was not adjusted correctly.

I hope you let them know of the issue as RG is in Asia and just had a meeting and visited the turbo supplier.

Groper

Reaction score
Weird all I see in the Bandit RG models are all orange base with white or blue, I haven't seen Black carbon one yet and it's what I ordered in a El Diablo. 🤔

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Does RG or Speed know about the crack in the turbo exhaust? TR seemed to know nothing about any cracks and a few cars with lower boost were showing lower fuel pressure at boost, which he said was the regular, or diaphragm or the regular was not adjusted correctly.

I hope you let them know of the issue as RG is in Asia and just had a meeting and visited the turbo supplier.

I believe that’s why he’s over there right now

NIKAL

Reaction score
I believe that’s why he’s over there right now
He’s mainly over there to oversee the start of final production of the El Diablo. But I know he has been going to many of the other factories & outside suppliers. The first week he was there it was said he was visiting the shock suppler factory, clutch factory and the turbo supplier factory. Thats why I was wondering if what you have experienced has been told to them and before RG went over?

Also I was told that a few cars have seen bolts back loose on the turbo exhaust side and damage the metal gasket. Not sure if it’s a bolt torque issue? locking washer or something else that is/was causing this. And how many have actually seen this??

Do you have a picture of what you’re seeing on your turbo? I’d think Ken would be talking to RG & Co?

stonehenge

Reaction score
Couldn't find this posted anywhere on this thread, not really the best comparison, however there are a few cool portions. I don't do camp gayzer anymore, waaaay to many novice utv clowns and way to many leo's. Halloween used to be a great shake-down for the sand season, no longer that way. Anyways, enjoy.

Safe space disclaimer: For all of you rwg fan boys, these two certainly drink his kool-aid, so you will be safe watching this reel.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Dumont Dunes latest.
The 127 from Baker to Tecopa:

127-baker-roadway-erosion.png

I'll drive out next week and check the repair progress.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
He’s mainly over there to oversee the start of final production of the El Diablo. But I know he has been going to many of the other factories & outside suppliers. The first week he was there it was said he was visiting the shock suppler factory, clutch factory and the turbo supplier factory. Thats why I was wondering if what you have experienced has been told to them and before RG went over?

Also I was told that a few cars have seen bolts back loose on the turbo exhaust side and damage the metal gasket. Not sure if it’s a bolt torque issue? locking washer or something else that is/was causing this. And how many have actually seen this??

Do you have a picture of what you’re seeing on your turbo? I’d think Ken would be talking to RG & Co?

I haven’t taken mine off yet but having seen a removed turbo in person it’s pretty obvious what’s going on. The wall thickness of the turbo is too thin, after a few heat cycles they develop
A crack.. that crack gets bigger and bigger and makes its way over to the waste gate which then bleeds off boost….

I’m gonna get one of Ken’s turbos and replace it..

JFMFG

Reaction score
I think once the bugs are worked out these will be the car to beat. Did @LargeOrangeFont get his car yet? If not you have to be close?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I haven’t taken mine off yet but having seen a removed turbo in person it’s pretty obvious what’s going on. The wall thickness of the turbo is too thin, after a few heat cycles they develop
A crack.. that crack gets bigger and bigger and makes its way over to the waste gate which then bleeds off boost….

I sure hope speed is paying for that?

NIKAL

Reaction score

How will Ken’s turbo fit as the Speed turbo & manifold are all one piece? Hopefully Ken’s been on the phone with RG while RG is overseas. Sounds like the fix is making the wall thickness thicker, which should be a quick & easy fix. The better question is? Is the wall thickness not what Speed spec’ed? A recall or identifying which cars got one if a bad batch turbos, would be on the contract manufactures responsibility, if they were not building to spec.

beerrun

Reaction score
I suppose I could wait for the fix etc.. but how long is that gonna be. I’m not that patient I’ll just do it and get the car done so we can go rip

I’d like to have it done before desert bash
What is desert bash?

Reactions: DLC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
How will Ken’s turbo fit as the Speed turbo & manifold are all one piece? Hopefully Ken’s been on the phone with RG while RG is overseas. Sounds like the fix is making the wall thickness thicker, which should be a quick & easy fix. The better question is? Is the wall thickness not what Speed spec’ed? A recall or identifying which cars got one if a bad batch turbos, would be on the contract manufactures responsibility, if they were not building to spec.

Ken developed the turbo and worked on tuning with Robby from the beginning. He has three thousand replacement turbos ready to go.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Ken developed the turbo and worked on tuning with Robby from the beginning. He has three thousand replacement turbos ready to go.

Are those replacement turbos for motors already built or for new production?

Has Speed acknowledged the need for the early turbos to be replaced?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Are those replacement turbos for motors already built or for new production?

Has Speed acknowledged the need for the early turbos to be replaced?

I don't want to sound like an asshole here.. but the answer to your first question is literally in the two sentence response that you quoted.

The second part is not to my knowledge..

but who knows.. I've only seen 2 with this problem so maybe it isn't on all of them? I know that my car is down roughly 10lbs.. the two that I saw had the same symptoms and that was the result. So I'll fix it and go play in the dirt. I'm sure Robby will analyze and fix anything wrong with the cars as he's already shown with the fuel sensor thing.. I'm just not gonna wait or be on a 200+ person list if that's the case when I can get it done in 2 weeks and go run.

RD

Singleton

Reaction score

Sounds like the manufacturing (Hisun) is trying to reduce per unit costs by thinning materials.
Wall thickness of a turbo should be designed appropriately. Sounds like it was, then something changed.

I am still sitting on the sidelines, but sounds like a bunch of headaches are starting to occur with the car. IMO, RG needed a knowledgable COO with experience in oversees manufacturing. Half the battle is making sure your 3rd party manufacturer does not F you when the dollars are being counted. I guarantee you Hisun has a cost per car they need to hit and if the cost goes over x, someone is paying the difference.

Only good thing I see, RG trying to make it right, but sooner or later that is going to break.
You can’t keep rebuilding, replacing parts. That will break the company bank.

NIKAL

Reaction score
Sounds like the manufacturing (Hisun) is trying to reduce per unit costs by thinning materials.
Wall thickness of a turbo should be designed appropriately. Sounds like it was, then something changed.

I am still sitting on the sidelines, but sounds like a bunch of headaches are starting to occur with the car. IMO, RG needed a knowledgable COO with experience in oversees manufacturing. Half the battle is making sure your 3rd party manufacturer does not F you when the dollars are being counted. I guarantee you Hisun has a cost per car they need to hit and if the cost goes over x, someone is paying the difference.

Only good thing I see, RG trying to make it right, but sooner or later that is going to break.
You can’t keep rebuilding, replacing parts. That will break the company bank.
Hisun does not make everything. A large majority of the parts on the Speed UTV are made from outside suppliers & manufactures.

They don’t make the turbos. Lots of engine parts come from other suppliers around the globe. Transmission parts, bearings & gears are manufactured by other suppliers, not China either! Clutches are made by another manufacturer. Shocks are made by another manufacturer. Wheels, tires, hardware, bearings, brake components, steering racks, seats, steering wheels, electronics, alternator, PS pumps, hoses, seals, oils, headlights & tail lights, suspension bushings and allot of those accessories are built somewhere else. Yes some are even built in the USA, like the HD skid plates, Kicker Subwolfer and a few other things. Zip ties were spec’ed by a USA supplier and Drop Shipped to the factory in VN.

Speed UTV in Asia is not just Robby. There are approx 30 full time employees of Speed UTV in Asia. These are not Hisun people, these are Speed UTV Asian employees. These people have access to all the factories and supply contractors in Asia.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
I suppose I could wait for the fix etc.. but how long is that gonna be. I’m not that patient I’ll just do it and get the car done so we can go rip

I’d like to have it done before desert bash
In doing this replacement, does it void any remaining factory warranties as it would be considered modified?

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
Has anyone who actually has one taken it to the dunes yet? We were out in glamis last weekend and I saw 1 or 2. The first one was on the road to olds and I will say going through the whoops the suspension looked very nice. He wasn't flying by any means but cruising around 30-35 and the car looked good. The second one I saw was out by swingset and when the guy left we watched him go through the dunes right behind it. Not hating and maybe the guy just wasn't on it but the car looked and sounded like it was struggling and had no balls trying to get up the few hills I could see. Anyone have any first hand experience with one in the dunes?

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
I don't want to sound like an asshole here.. but the answer to your first question is literally in the two sentence response that you quoted.

The second part is not to my knowledge..

but who knows.. I've only seen 2 with this problem so maybe it isn't on all of them? I know that my car is down roughly 10lbs.. the two that I saw had the same symptoms and that was the result. So I'll fix it and go play in the dirt. I'm sure Robby will analyze and fix anything wrong with the cars as he's already shown with the fuel sensor thing.. I'm just not gonna wait or be on a 200+ person list if that's the case when I can get it done in 2 weeks and go run.

RD

Okay.
To quote you then.
I don't want to sound like an asshole here but why would a manufacturer make 3,000 replacement units if a problem hasn't been acknowledged as existing?

Replacement can be for new builds going forward or for the "tons" of cars already built.

Just a question, nothing more.

Singleton

Reaction score
Hisun does not make everything. A large majority of the parts on the Speed UTV are made from outside suppliers & manufactures.

They don’t make the turbos. Lots of engine parts come from other suppliers around the globe. Transmission parts, bearings & gears are manufactured by other suppliers, not China either! Clutches are made by another manufacturer. Shocks are made by another manufacturer. Wheels, tires, hardware, bearings, brake components, steering racks, seats, steering wheels, electronics, alternator, PS pumps, hoses, seals, oils, headlights & tail lights, suspension bushings and allot of those accessories are built somewhere else. Yes some are even built in the USA, like the HD skid plates, Kicker Subwolfer and a few other things. Zip ties were spec’ed by a USA supplier and Drop Shipped to the factory in VN.

Speed UTV in Asia is not just Robby. There are approx 30 full time employees of Speed UTV in Asia. These are not Hisun people, these are Speed UTV Asian employees. These people have access to all the factories and supply contractors in Asia.

Then QC sucks. Units overheat if you run a windshield, turbo housing is too thin. The list goes on.
What was said “to be the best ever” is having issues.

I give credit to RG and the Speed Team for trying to fix everything, but that is going to BK a company, when you are paying for parts twice!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone who actually has one taken it to the dunes yet? We were out in glamis last weekend and I saw 1 or 2. The first one was on the road to olds and I will say going through the whoops the suspension looked very nice. He wasn't flying by any means but cruising around 30-35 and the car looked good. The second one I saw was out by swingset and when the guy left we watched him go through the dunes right behind it. Not hating and maybe the guy just wasn't on it but the car looked and sounded like it was struggling and had no balls trying to get up the few hills I could see. Anyone have any first hand experience with one in the dunes?

This guy is posting a ton of stuff from Glamis...

NIKAL

Reaction score
Then QC sucks. Units overheat if you run a windshield, turbo housing is too thin. The list goes on.
What was said “to be the best ever” is having issues.

I give credit to RG and the Speed Team for trying to fix everything, but that is going to BK a company, when you are paying for parts twice!
Windshield is a moot point and they have said many, many times a windshield in a rear radiator Speed UTV can’t be used in 70+ degree weather. Like it or not, they stated that. And a windshield is just an accessory. It’s not a primary component of the car.

As far as the speculation of the turbo housing being to thin. If it’s thinner then spec then that falls on the supplier and will not “BK” Speed. In many cases you don’t use one company to sole supply. I know it’s been said they have two suppliers for clutches, and a few other primary components. So I’d think they might have more then one for the turbos? If this is the case it might be a single supplier issue which only slows production and not stops it.

From some of the financial numbers I’ve been told, I would not worry a recall or part defect on a few hundred or thousand cars is going to put Speed in any financial troubles. They are already working on engineering 2026 models.

DLC

Reaction score
What is desert bash?
Well, you see some people will go out into the desert w/ their Speed cars and bash the crap 💩 out of them!

The rest of us drive can am’s and Rzr‘s and we go on a power run….

lol

DWC

Reaction score
Windshield is a moot point and they have said many, many times a windshield in a rear radiator Speed UTV can’t be used in 70+ degree weather. Like it or not, they stated that. And a windshield is just an accessory. It’s not a primary component of the car.

As far as the speculation of the turbo housing being to thin. If it’s thinner then spec then that falls on the supplier and will not “BK” Speed. In many cases you don’t use one company to sole supply. I know it’s been said they have two suppliers for clutches, and a few other primary components. So I’d think they might have more then one for the turbos? If this is the case it might be a single supplier issue which only slows production and not stops it.

From some of the financial numbers I’ve been told, I would not worry a recall or part defect on a few hundred or thousand cars is going to put Speed in any financial troubles. They are already working on engineering 2026 models.
Do you work for Speed?

stonehenge

Reaction score