WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How to Drive a boat with RD (non pg)

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Can you do one, if you haven't already, on how to be a good boat passenger?? Like mentioned above, my biggest pet peeve when boating, especially with family or friends that have never boated, is them getting in the way trying to help...my wife, son, and I have our routine pretty set as its mostly just us 3 on the boat, so when new people come aboard and start reaching for things or standing up in front of me, or trying to grab the dock...I dont like to yell at people, but thats usually the point I start yelling...

2Driver

Reaction score
Someone pulls up to any bar on any river with the stern into the current, the people at the bar look over and say “Fuckin idiot”. Then when said person enters the bar they congratulate them on their first boat.. lol. Seen it a million times.. 🤪🤪

RD

You can tie up to the inner dock side at foxes stern up river. I never had a problem but I think its a back water there.

Into a serious current though thats seems like a common sense no

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Someone pulls up to any bar on any river with the stern into the current, the people at the bar look over and say “Fuckin idiot”. Then when said person enters the bar they congratulate them on their first boat.. lol. Seen it a million times.. 🤪🤪

RD
Almost always true - Any dock, on any river, with any bar . . . . will have no shortage of experts.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I will often dock stern line first depending on situation. River side at roadrunner, back side of Foxs and I do it while I’m still sitting at the starboard helm on my Bayliner. People get up to help and I say , no thanks I got it.😉

clarence

Reaction score
These are great.

How about operating single-handed?

River Runnin

Reaction score
Can you do one, if you haven't already, on how to be a good boat passenger??
RD 1.jpg

:D

I doubt there is a More maneuverable boat around here than the one RD is sitting in! ;)

hallett21

Reaction score
I still say we do the drunks vs sober drivers. @RiverDave gets us a closed course. You need to dock the boat 100% by yourself. Even better we do trailer launching etc. 100% not PC but it would be good for some laughs or for some serious smack talking lol.

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
You guys waste too much time docking yer botes…..pulling up to Fox’s made easy.

hman442

Reaction score
For some reason everyone always wants to stand up right as I'm pulling up to the dock, even my wife, and every time I say sit down until we are at the dock or I say so.
Sorta like when the commercial jet lands... everybody is up and getting their shit, and standing at their seat with their head bent over beneath the overhead bin and waiting 15 minutes for the jet to actually be parked.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Almost always true - Any dock, on any river, with any bar . . . . will have no shortage of experts.

Stephen I don’t mean to argue here but I just don’t see any logical reason for normal boats to have the stern into the current.. like point in fact I don’t even think you could find anyone that would think it’s a good idea for a multitude of reasons.

Heavy current you might sink the thing..
Normal currents you have a giant transom being pushed into the water which is gonna make the dock lines tight as shit..
you are backing upriver (twins or not what’s the point).

I’m not saying you can’t do it.. shit I could do it with a single down in Parker if ya want.. it just makes zero sense as to why anyone would even want to do it.

In my whole life of boating I have never heard someone recommend doing this. I can list a multitude of reasons why not to do it and honestly can’t think of one why ya would.

And yes.. most of my years I’d put the drunks at the bars in Parker against just about anyone when it comes to docking and off plane driving. Guys like @C-Ya @Riverbound @River Lynchmob anf on and on.. all these guys are used to tight quarter boating / trailering / docking with a load drunks on board to the point where you can’t even see the bow.. nobody is gonna tie their boat with the transom to the current?

It makes no sense? @C-Ya is now a commerical yacht captain.. can you think of any reason you would do this?

RD

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
Stephen I don’t mean to argue here but I just don’t see any logical reason for normal boats to have the stern into the current.. like point in fact I don’t even think you could find anyone that would think it’s a good idea for a multitude of reasons.

Normal currents you have a giant transom being pushed into the water which is gonna make the dock lines tight as shit..

I’m not saying you can’t do it.. shit I could do it with a single down in Parker if ya want.. it just makes zero sense as to why anyone would even want to do it.

In my whole life of boating I have never heard someone recommend doing this. I can list a multitude of reasons why not to do it and honestly can’t think of one why ya would.

And yes.. most of my years I’d put the drunks at the bars in Parker against just about anyone when it comes to docking and off plane driving. Guys like @C-Ya @Riverbound @River Lynchmob anf on and on.. all these guys are used to tight quarter boating / trailering / docking with a load drunks on board to the point where you can’t even see the bow.. nobody is gonna tie their boat with the transom to the current?

It makes no sense? @C-Ya is now a commerical yacht captain.. can you think of any reason you would do this?

RD

Maybe he is talking about current in this meaning, not up river/down river how we consider current flow to be...?

1674770245833.png

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Dave - It’s simply the need to have a particular side of your vessel next to the dock. Lake Powell, it could be the location of fills and discharges on a houseboat. Havasu, we’ve all seen boats with a lift on one side for the aid of the disabled. You mentioned commercial activity. In many industrial commercial applications there’s a need to have a particular side next to the dock. The last vessel I operated, for 22 years, had its only gangway on the port side. That was OK. We just knew we always had to tie up, port side to the dock when using the gangway. That, at times, meant having the stern to the current.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I could care less how much of a donkey I am when it comes to docking, as long as I don't get in the way, hurt anyone, or wreck their shit.
My biggest fear is slipping on the god damn slime covered launch ramps either hooking, or unhooking my rig . . . shit's like a skating rink at low tide.
Seen many a dude break an ankle 1st thing in the morning . . . saw one dude slip and rearrange his nose all over his mug when he face-planted on the Newport ramp.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
How about a video about not beaching your ride trying to enter the river channel from the top of the lake into the river itself? Like how to spot the river channel vs what’s typically low or unnavigable?

Obviously it’s only good for as long as that path exists but maybe the tips would still be valid even after it changes.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Some of the stronger current encountered in CA is in Morro Bay. It is a Tidal Current, so 50% of the time, the vessel in this photo will have its stern to the current. FWIW, I once operated a 100’ passenger carrying boat from this very dock for 2 albacore seasons, 2 years.
B020C0FF-BA12-4519-8593-EC78FBAC3879.jpeg
For ease of our operation we needed to tie stbd side to the dock. Outgoing tide/current I approached with the stern in first. I knew exactly where our stern had to be for our bow to have room to swing in. Incoming current I approached bow first. BTW - Our bow was about 5 ft from the large windows of the Harbor Hut Bar. Lots of experts were also behind those windows.

The current I speak of is not a side current as depicted in a prior post.

Last edited:

HBCraig

Reaction score

RD
I was at Foxes this summer and Lynch pulled up. He did just fine.
Also, for some entertainment, hangout at the Springs outer harbor and watch dudes coming in and out. Holy shit. Talk a out what not to do

Taboma

Reaction score
Some of the stronger current encountered in CA is in Morro Bay. It is a Tidal Current, so 50% of the time, the vessel in this photo will have its stern to the current. FWIW, I once operated a 100’ passenger carrying boat from this very dock for 2 albacore seasons. View attachment 1193103 For ease of our operation we needed to tie stbd side to the dock. Outgoing tide/current I approached with the stern in first. I knew exactly were our stern had to be for our bow to have room to swing in. Incoming current I approached bow first in first. BTW - Our bow was about 5 ft from the large windows of the Harbor Hut Bar. Lots of experts were also behind those windows.
Oh way cool, P-520, 1944, 85' Air Force Crash Boat made by Wilmington Boats. Really great article in WoodenBoat Magazine about that restored beauty.

Worth a read for those of you, like myself, who grew up lusting over these sleek PT styled boats.

Many cruisers, but SportsFishers in particular tie up with their sterns facing the gangway (like the examples in this picture) --- or AKA the normal pointy end of the slip.
As we fisher types know, it not only facilitates loading and unloading via the cockpit, but it provides a much more social atmosphere on the dock and you can show off your cool stuff or that big one tied across your swim step or being tugged out of the cockpit.
Likewise most marinas are going to be experiencing daily tidal changes, some barely noticeable but others like Morro Bay can be considerable.

Figure Dave will find my side tracking his cool educational thread irritating and scold me, so I might as well provide more justification. 😁;)
I figure, after all, it is a boating website.

P-520.JPG

Crash boat specs.JPG

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I could care less how much of a donkey I am when it comes to docking, as long as I don't get in the way, hurt anyone, or wreck their shit.
My biggest fear is slipping on the god damn slime covered launch ramps either hooking, or unhooking my rig . . . shit's like a skating rink at low tide.
Seen many a dude break an ankle 1st thing in the morning . . . saw one dude slip and rearrange his nose all over his mug when he face-planted on the Newport ramp.
Some of my fav boat memories have been sitting at Back Bay Bistro bar watching the ramp idiots for hours. I actually saw a high end go fast de launch onto trailer and then pull the truck backwards down the ramp and off the end sinking before our eyes. The owner was paased out below so his idiots took it upon themselves to de launch it looked like. i stayed long enough to see a huge crane drive up to yank the truck out. When they poured those ramps they didn't go out far enough and that caused plenty of lower tide challenges.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Taboma has a very valid point. F/B sportfishing yachts often prefer to maneuver stern first. Docking with their stern to the current doesn’t bother them in the least. It is efficient and safe.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Don't see many sport fishers, PT boats, or big A$$ yachts in Havasu! ;)

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

RD
I had my 6 pack license years ago when I was working private charters.

My lesson when learning how to dock a boat was quite simple.

Docking a boat is like fucking a chick. You don’t just go and ram it in. You’ve got to ease it in.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
I had my 6 pack license years ago when I was working private charters.

My lesson when learning how to dock a boat was quite simple.

Docking a boat is like fucking a chick. You don’t just go and ram it in. You’ve got to ease it in.
3' running start and a gallon of lube, it'll slide right in

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
FWIW - any twin engine boat can be maneuvered in the same manner as the larger vessels. Pontoons are a little different because they have so little volume/structure below their waterline. That tends to makes them more susceptible to wind.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I almost hate to jump in…….

There are already a few misconceptions.

But imagine tying your boat up backwards at Roadrunner. Are you picturing it? That what tidal change looks like in South Florida. You tied up to the restaurant while the tide was going out…… now it’s going in. At about the same current as Roadrunner, as an example.

My point…… having your bow into the current is optimal, but that is by no ways “absolute”.

I’ve got more docking strategies than I can type. Lol

When I owned a home at Parker Dam, I tied my Hallett with just 1 heavy duty line. I put it on the midship cleat, then turned the steering wheel hard left. The outdrive worked as a rudder the keep boat away from dock. I didnt even need fenders.

I also do a lot of docking in which my deckhand will cleat off the bow line, then I put large boat into reverse, and let the motors bring the rear around. This works well in a tight spot and current. It would shock you how well I do it! Lol

Those with singles motors…….. I should shoot a video on how to fake having a bow thruster. Here is the basic concept. When leaving the slip, build up as much momentum as possible backwards, Then bump to neutral, then forward. I am adding the neutral, since most of you have outdrives, and can’t just throw it in forward, like you can with a diesel transmission. While throwing it in forward, turn towards the direction you want to go. When done correctly the inertia of going from reverse to forward will nicely bring the bow around. I suggest practicing this. It’s easy and very valuable to know. After a while this will become second nature and you will use this move for a myriad of reasons. Like straightening out to put single engine boat in slip. Reverse is your friend.

Also…….. if you have to turn your single engine boat around in a tight spot……. It will make the turn tighter, if you do the entire turn around in reverse. In this case, forward is not your friend.

Also, for those docking single screw boats that have trouble remembering which way to turn steering wheel, while in reverse at dock. Here is a simple way to remember. Approach dock at 45 degrees approx, when bumping it into reverse, say this to yourself……” now I want to crash into dock. “ This will get you to point steering wheel in the proper direction, while in reverse.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
You need to make the environment more realistic though Dave! Put a bunch of drunk people and about 6 kids on the boat and have the stereo cranked up! 😂
Or when I have to watch the Tach for blower surge driving through the channel cause my wife is performing a Journey concert between the front seats and I can’t hear the engine. 😂😂😂

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Some of the stronger current encountered in CA is in Morro Bay. It is a Tidal Current, so 50% of the time, the vessel in this photo will have its stern to the current. FWIW, I once operated a 100’ passenger carrying boat from this very dock for 2 albacore seasons, 2 years. View attachment 1193103 For ease of our operation we needed to tie stbd side to the dock. Outgoing tide/current I approached with the stern in first. I knew exactly where our stern had to be for our bow to have room to swing in. Incoming current I approached bow first. BTW - Our bow was about 5 ft from the large windows of the Harbor Hut Bar. Lots of experts were also behind those windows.

This isn’t really applicable to the rdp crowd with “boats”. I think that’s a ship! Lol

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
This isn’t really applicable to the rdp crowd with “boats”. I think that’s a ship! Lol
I agree…..

Here is other stuff for the Parker crowd.

When tying your boat onto dock with bow into current. Use just 2 lines. A rear breast line. A forward spring line. Do not use a forward breast line. Here is why…….. Everytime the forward spring goes tight, it will actual bump the bow away from the dock. The forward breast line will do the opposite. If the current is not strong enough to keep boat lines tight, then a reverse spring becomes your 3rd line.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Reaction score
I agree…..

Here is other stuff for the Parker crowd.

When tiring your boat onto dock with bow into current. Use just 2 lines. A rear breast line. A forward spring line. Do not use a forward breast line. Here is why…….. Everytime the forward spring goes tight, it will actual bump the bow away from the dock. The forward breast line will do the opposite. If the current is not strong enough to keep boat lines tight, then a reverse spring becomes your 3rd line.
Yeah I’m gonna need a picture for that. 🤣

Taboma

Reaction score
Just wait, we didn't use to have 47' CC's ripping around there either. So never say never, I'm not sure there's an end to this current wave of LAM-itis, 😖

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
C-Ya had some good points, But, 85’ boats aren’t ships. C-Ya knows that. One of the best things C-Ya said, “Having your bow into the current is optimal, but is by no means absolute.” One of RD’s initial concerns was undue stress on your transom and stern lines. If your transom is unable to handle that, a sincere look at your transom construction would be in order. If your stern docking lines are unable to hold your boat in the current, then larger/better quality lines would be in order. All of your lines should be sufficient to handle conditions from all directions. Conditions can and do change. Believe some have mentioned an argument here. My initial post, #16, was about line handling when tied with your stern into the current. Bow line comes off first. My advice from that post remains. My following posts dealt with don’t limit yourself when you have 2 engines and various conditions to deal with. Stern to the current can be, and is, done efficiently and safely. On post #22, RD begins using the term/word “always”. To me always means just that. But, seldom is that the case.

Last edited:

Boat 405

Reaction score
Sorta like when the commercial jet lands... everybody is up and getting their shit, and standing at their seat with their head bent over beneath the overhead bin and waiting 15 minutes for the jet to actually be parked.
100%

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Some of the stronger current encountered in CA is in Morro Bay. It is a Tidal Current, so 50% of the time, the vessel in this photo will have its stern to the current. FWIW, I once operated a 100’ passenger carrying boat from this very dock for 2 albacore seasons, 2 years. View attachment 1193103 For ease of our operation we needed to tie stbd side to the dock. Outgoing tide/current I approached with the stern in first. I knew exactly where our stern had to be for our bow to have room to swing in. Incoming current I approached bow first. BTW - Our bow was about 5 ft from the large windows of the Harbor Hut Bar. Lots of experts were also behind those windows.

Ok, I'll say it...

You've Obviously Never been boating in Parker! 😁

Reactions: t&y

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Some of my fav boat memories have been sitting at Back Bay Bistro bar watching the ramp idiots for hours. I actually saw a high end go fast de launch onto trailer and then pull the truck backwards down the ramp and off the end sinking before our eyes. The owner was paased out below so his idiots took it upon themselves to de launch it looked like. i stayed long enough to see a huge crane drive up to yank the truck out. When they poured those ramps they didn't go out far enough and that caused plenty of lower tide challenges.
Ironic You say that !
I came in last Saturday at a minus tide . . . I'd completely forgotten about 'The Drop Off' where that ramp ends.
My little boat sits low on the trailer and launching barely gets the truck tires wet.
I was backing in the trailer, while my buddy was in my boat idling around.
I always go slow, and I was looking in my side-view when my trailer just 'drops' !
Oh shit !!! . .I totally forgot . . . I hit the brakes quickly and popped the truck back in gear . .got lucky . . no prob. as it didn't fall but a little.
Could've been good entertainment for the Bistro Crowd !!! 😆

Wave Hi

Reaction score
Oh shit I have been doing it wrong all these years , I knew I would learn something from this forum....

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
I call BULLSHIT Dave! There is not one Coors Light is in this video.

These are good, it's like a cool uncle explaining things.

Last edited: